1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Nets pick to the Celtics this year is completely unprotected

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Nope I haven't watched much of the Nets the last couple of years. But that is such a shame. Philly may have had a worse stretch last couple of years, but the payoff with the picks and young talent is what will make it all worth it. Okafor looks like a future star, Noel has shown tons of talent, and they have basically 6-7 first round picks if you include Embiid and Saric coming next year.

3. PeppermintCandy

Those vets - Garnett, Pierce and Williams - have been given away or have left on their own.

But there's no motivation or payoff to tanking for the near future either.

Man, this has got to be the basketball equivalent of hell.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

The thing is, Boston had a high enough return (because Garnett was so valuable) that they don't have to tank to have gotten those high picks. In addition to the picks from the Nets, Boston has their own picks still - if they do poorly for the season, they have two high picks. If they do somewhat well, they have a high pick and a mid-rounder.

Philly had (and has) no choice but to keep tanking.

5. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Just wondering, how much is their luxury tax bill gonna be for this season?

6. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Awesome. Rockets get the nets next. Easy win.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They shredded some contracts and thanks to the new cap are actually 1.4mil below the luxury tax line.

Had to pay a record 90.5mil last year.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wonder how Prokhorov feels, has to be one of the ****tiest ownership situations in history sports and financial-wise.

But then again, he's the reason why they're in this situation, wanted to win at all costs and didn't think about the future.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I would be in absolute Hell if I was a Nets fan. Seriously. To give up years and years of your future for a couple of very old stars to a messy base... then have it crumble even faster than expected? I can't imagine.

It's going to SUCK for them to watch this team knowing there's no benefit to being bad.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Woj defending Billy King back in March:

"In defense of billy King, he did what ownership wanted, which was 'we dont want to build around Derrick Favors and bring in a young nucleus of guys. We want star players, we want veteran guys and we want them now. That's a hard way to win in the NBA. to say we're just going to bring in stars because that's why your cap number is so big, your payroll is so enormous. That's a hard way to do it. They wanted a winner instantly.

If it was up to him, would he have done it that way? I dont know, but there's got to be a share responsibility here in that 'we want to put Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce up on the marquee and sell tickets and sell luxury suites here in Brooklyn. Fine, give away our picks.' It was as much an ownership mandate and to say, 'let's just fire the GM now,' because it didn't work?"

http://www.netsdaily.com/2015/3/13/8207843/woj-in-defense-of-billy-king-he-did-what-ownership-wanted

Now you can say, can Billy reboot this thing, do it now in a different way going forward? Alright, that's a question you got to look at in management and decide, BUT to say that thing didn't work, you've got to fire him? I think there's a lot of responsibility going around.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Maybe he had the get a star mandate, but unless ownership specifically said get KG and Pierce or else, no mildly competent GM would have made that trade. It was obvious they weren't close to a title, even in the East.

Surely some past their prime marquee names could have been had for a more affordable price. They made a trade that not only put a non title ceiling on themselves, but probably shut the franchise down for the rest of the decade. And it costed a small fortune to pay that non contending team.

Morey isn't perfect, but there are so many god awful GM's. They don't seem to get the basic concept of building to win a title, not building to be good.

12. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Another reason why he shouldn't be the GM. If ownership is telling him that, then there doesn't even need to be a GM. Prokhorov should just GM the team himself then.

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

I think it's time to trade their 2020 first round draft pick for Kobe Bryant.

14. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

But it's hard to find a trade partner like Billy King. Kind of once a decade type of trade. New owner, wants immediate results, 2nd team in big city, hires someone with limited basketball "knowledge, not experience" as GM.

I don't think any team can plan to find a trade partner like Billy King.

Philly on the other hand, will be all right. Even with Embiid's troubls, they've got Noels and Okafor to build around, and another top 3-5 pick next year. With the cap space they've got, they could easily be very competitive next season if they choose that path.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There's no excuse to not have at least some protection on those picks, lest something go horribly wrong. Miami had protection on the first round pick they gave to Cleveland in the sign and trade for Lebron James, for crying out loud. The Lakers right now only have Russell because they protected their pick and still have top 3 protection on this year's pick, despite thinking they had a dynasty on their hands. Billy King is just a a horrible negotiator and the Celtics are laughing their way to the bank.

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I hate the nets. They gave the rockets the crappy T will for a draft pick which turned into Dennis Schroeder

17. underrated015

underrated015 Member

so glad we have morey. trading for pierce and garnett was a bad move. whats worse is giving up picks. ainge knew exactly what he was doing.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I don't think Ainge gets enough credit. I read somewhere he's rated the 6th best GM in the NBA but he won a ring trading for the big 3 and then turned it around trading KG/PP for a huge draft windfall for many years to come. He's a genius in my book and should be rated higher.

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Watch them. Firesale.

20. dabush713

dabush713 Member

Joe Johnson for Melo. Do it for the lols.