1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The necessity of having an athletic Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, May 18, 2024.

1. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Is it Lively you need or Luka?

harold bingo likes this.
  2. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

3. OkayAyeReloaded

And guess what beat defending champ Jokic and Denver, 24' Minnesota's deep big lineup, and 2020 Laker's deep frontcourt with strong athletic bigs. It works

hlmbasketball and shakes05 like this.
  4. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I called it...you need athletic Bigs to contend

5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Their best player is a guard. Look at the teams that are left. Their best players are not bigs.

6. OkayAyeReloaded

Never said your best player had to be a big, the idea was athletic bigs for frontcourt depth to win in the West. Our team ideally should have Jalen, Sengun, Cam, etc. Being the best players and our bigs do the dirty work to win a series.

Gordon and Porter Jr aren't Denver's best players, but they win series when they play well as big athletic wings/frontcourt players. They had a terrible game 7

shakes05 likes this.
  7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And you can get one in the late first or second round where their value usually lies instead of wasting it on a top 3 pick, because there’s no Wemby or Chet in this draft.

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jokic is the perfect example of a 2nd round 41st pick. You just never know.

AroundTheWorld and Little Bit like this.
  9. OkayAyeReloaded

If he fits the bill, sure. If Sarr drops to three I would take him as well.

Really I'll take BPA regardless of position, we'll see what happens on draft night.

Glad we lucked out and got the third pick, good problem to have.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....we will see if that is true this next series - Townes and Gobert should test that. I was never that impressed with Dallas' bigs either but a coworker of mine is a "watch every game" Mavs fan and he has been talking about how good Dallas' bigs are the back half of the season. Dallas fans think Lively was the steal of the draft. {insert shrugging emoji}

...also, you gotta lay off Chet - dude will be good one day but he's going to have to fill into his body. His Dad is also 7' and is a big dude and his mom doesn't look slight either. I think he is going to have a very solid frame in a few years.

#110 glimmertwins, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
  11. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Of course you take Sarr if he falls to 3, but I’m not talking about him because I don’t see him falling past top 2.

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ive been saying it for YEARS!! You need bigs to win.

Hui and shakes05 like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Denver has DeAndre Jordan. The original athletic big.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ll see how they do against the Wolves, but so far, the best C they’ve faced is Zubac who gave them 16 and 9 on 60% shooting

OKC was a very small team playing string bean Chet at C, and the next tallest guy in the SL was 6’6 SGA

the big men in Dallas are your typical dime a dozen athletic rim runner that can only dunk and can’t make free throws…they’re playing well off the attention generated by Luka and Kyrie, but the league is saturated with this type of big

I love Chet…he’s who I was praying we ended up with on draft night, but dude isn’t a real full-time C right now, he’s just too weak to handle the boards…he had 3 rebounds in almost 35 minutes in game 6…just 4 rebounds in 39 minutes in game 5

AlperenSengun likes this.
  15. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

He's past his prime

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We were set to land Lopez with over half of Brook's money until he welshed out of a verbal commitment.

It wouldn't surprise me if Udoka wants Klingon if the Lopez comps are true but better.

With a thin draft, picking up a "role playing" starter might fill a need that's holding us back from legitimacy.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If a role player that fits our needs is what this draft is about, I still don't see why our biggest need is a big man. In what way will a role player big man help us jump to legitimacy?

Usually you need a big man for two things: defense and rebounding. We are:
    10th in defense
    3rd in total rebounding
    6th in defensive rebounding
    6th in offensive rebounding
    Are there spaces for improvement? Of course. But none of these are our glaring weaknesses.

On the other hand, we are:
    23rd in 3pt%
    27th in fg%
    24th in TS

Shooting is clearly our biggest weakness. If we are to draft a role player to fit our biggest need, we need to draft a shooter.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shooting can be taught and prayed for nightly. Can't teach height, esp during this mid-season when our depth during injuries exposed matchups where Bari didn't have the strength to hang inside the paint.

Adams addresses the Lopez hole, but finding a mobile and young big that can cover our division and conference rivals while growing in our system is still a need.

Not sure how mobile Klingon is, but he's definitely got the presence an aging Adams could mould.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

The biggest necessity for getting into the Conference Finals is having star players. The Rockets don't have that. Sengun may be that guy but he isn't yet. No one else on this roster is even sniffing stardom right now unless you are a true believer in Jalen Green. Until the Rockets get their core 2+ guys who are at least in All-NBA conversations, everything else is fairly trivial.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

In theory yes. But
    Why is Jalen green shooting exactly the same over 3 years? Same with brooks.

Shooting can be taught but very few will manage to learn. Because the ones who would learn typically learn it earlier in their careers.

Shooting is definitely number 1 problem to address in this roster.