1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Wants New Orleans to Succeed

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Spacemoth, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Just like the NFL with the Saints the year after Katrina, the New Orleans Hornets seem to be a team favored by the NBA front office to do well this year. Chris Paul is the most generous recipient of referee calls--he can basically throw himself at anyone and get a foul if he wants.

And as I watched the end of the New Orleans Orlando game, Orlando was up 95-92 with a minute left and got the most bogus call ever on an inbounds play. Paul delayed the pass a bit and Morris Peterson flopped to ground, gaining them a technical free throw and the ball back.

I know I'm more a conspiracy theorist than most, but does anyone else feel this way? It's not only that New Orleans is winning, but ESPN basically has churned out five or so articles about what a good person Paul is when just the opposite might be true on the court when you consider how dirty he plays. Remember he punched Julius Hodge in the groin at Wake. It's frustrating to me to see them build Paul's character up just because they feel sympathy for New Orleans as a city.

2. Persian Rocket

BOO to New Orleans :mad:

3. Zboy

Zboy Member

Morris Peterson of all the people was getting the calls. He blatantly pushed off, flopped in front of ref and got rewarded. Wow, just wow!

Next trip, Paul gets a call when he obviously flopped. Paul choked on both of his free throws but get this.....

Some no name dude ended up taking the last shot for Magic., not the maxed out Rashard, or Hedo, or Dwight.

Why the heck did Magic give Rashard the max contract?!!

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

LOL i was already thinking the same exact thing while watching the end of that game......the tragic definitely got jobbed.....

Amazing how professional and unbiased the tragic announcers are also.....not only do they not complain even one bit about officiating or opposing players but they even had chris paul on for an immediate postgame interview...

5. Zboy

Zboy Member

I would have loved to see this happen to Celtics just to watch Tommy Heinson's reactions.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

at first, i was like, who team's announcers are these?

they are very very unbiased, unlike the spurs or the suns.

2 stupid calls by the refs, but magic should have stilll won, :mad:

7. MystikArkitect

Dude I remember watching that Falcons game that made me want to puke with the effing Saints. I dont want to sound like a jerk about the whole "New Orleans morale" thing, but that game looked so ridiculously fixed I turned off the TV in disgust.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

I don't know.

I'm sure the NBA wants New Orleans to succeed, but I don't think most refs in any sport are smart enough to be consistently biased like that.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

If not for San Antonio, New Orleans might be the ****tiest city I have ever been to.

10. Asian Sensation

New Orleans can win all they can right now and finish 1st but they have a good chance to be upset in the 1st round. I'd love to see a NO vs. Denver in round One.

11. JD2010

JD2010 Member

new-nword-leans?
    :D

12. ricky812

ricky812 Member

I think you are jumping to conclusions. So are you also saying that the refs have shown blatant favoritism to the rockets over the past few years. I mean yao and houstons success is crucial to david sterns plan to globalize the game especially in china as there are already more viewers over there than here in the US. I know NO is a division rival but your hate for paul and the hornets just reeks of jealously. Conspiracy theories that try to incriminate all the refs is just ludicrous.

13. IROC it

IROC it Member

2008 Chris Paul = 2006 D. Wade

in refs' eyes

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

ever heard of a ref named tim donaghy?

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Maybe the bad calls were just from the Orlando game, but you need no conspiracy theory to comprehend the job natl sports media is doing to Chris Paul's image. That's the part that draws my ire because, as I said before, he's a dirty player.

And it's no secret the NBA is trying to revitalize New Orleans' fan base. Despite their great record they've had some of the lowest attendance in the league, and the NBA went so far as to hold the all-star game this year. And what was the theme? That's right, NBA Cares putting on the largest community service project in its history. All these things are great, but all the feel-good emotion stemming from this is going straight into the hands of Chris Paul and the media's perception of him. That's all I'm saying.

16. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

I think NO is good enough to be a playoff team ( anything but the top three seeds anyway ), but if they play against someone the Spurs in the first round and BEAT them in a seven-game series, something is very wrong.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

A SA loss would feel oh so right to Rockets fans...

18. yobod

yobod Member

What? Ok, I hate the Spurs as much as the next guy, but come on.....I lived in San Antonio for 3 years, and it's a nice city. The Northwest side (La Cantera/Chase Hill area) is downright beautiful.....New Orleans however is a God-forsaken swamp. The French Quarter is cool, but not cool enough to cancel out the fact that when you're there, you literally feel like you are wearing the humidity.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

No comparison between NO and SA. NO, Louisiana, the whole bit. Dirty city, dirty politicians, dirty law enforcement. I hate driving through the place. I get sick to my stomach when I breathe the air in Louisiana.

20. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Since I think you are naive..I'm going to correct your grammar. "Are ludicrous".. not is... cmon sucka.