1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Is Struggling To Survive In Both Houston And Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think I heard 13 the other day? Not sure.

Anyway, the point is that the capacity of an arena, or overall number sold, isn't that reflective of fan interest. You'll notice, for example, that nearly every arena built since 2000 is in the bottom half of the league in terms of capacity. Even the Lakers, who could probably sell 30K a night if they wanted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_arenas

That's because the modern trend is to promote "intimacy" and push fans toward higher-dollar tickets. If you look at a typical mid-tier Rockets game, the cheap seats are usually sold out. Where you see gaps in tickets sold is in the lower level behind the baskets and occasionally the edge of the upper sidelines. If the Rockets wanted, they could easily expand TC behind the baskets in the upper deck (where it's smaller, relative to older venues like the United Center) and pack in a couple extra thousand "cheap seat" fans per game. They're not, because that's not where the money is.

That's why percentage of capacity sold gives you a much more accurate picture of how "interest" is than sheer volume.

2. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

The way Crane sounds, he couldn't care less. :(

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

first, stop calling it a stadium.. its an arena.. if theres something Houston fans are guilty of, which i cant stand, is the late arriving crowd. being in TC its pretty packed. no way you see how crowded it is on tv, the tv doesnt do a great job showing the density of the upperbowl.

4. amaru

amaru Member

If I was in Houston I would attend rocket home games.

5. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

too bad nba league pass and streaming does not count, rest assured there are much more than 70k viewers watching the Rockets home game just for Lin alone.

6. AXG

AXG Member

No duh... What did anybody expect when 60% of the Houston population can't watch them on tv. As for attendance, I think it's picked up considerably this season now that the team is winning and has a superstar in Harden.

7. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The NBA expects a temporary dip in attendance numbers coming off a lockout and the NBA is aware of carriage situation in Houston. Not worried...Rockets aren't going anywhere.

8. onreego

onreego Member

What are the ratings when the Rockets play on ESPN?

9. Artestsuckskobe

Let me tell all you direct tv suckers... I like my Comcast! Works great,even when there is a thunderstorm....

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dude is set trippin with comcast. no one is change their provider to get the rockets and if you're with direct tv you're in a contract. you have comcast great no need to hate

11. onreego

onreego Member

Last GS game that was on ESPN got a 2.3 Nielsen rating versus 1.3 on Comcast. Now someone tell me what that means lol

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

And please explain how/why/what they would do to go about that?

Punish the ones that are paying the most money? LMAO get real...

13. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Yes there must be a huge drop off of Rockets game attendance and viewership compared to last season.:p:grin:

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Struggling to survive? That's just ridiculous.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The LOFs don't contribute to Toyota Center attendance cause they don't live in a 9000 mile radius of Houston nor do they have the money to buy the $5 french fries.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I have been to plenty of games usually the cheap seats don't sell out. Unless it is a big game the stadium is only 70% full. The lower sidelines are the worst.

17. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Or the $10 Papa John's which I always regret buying afterward because I finish in like 3 bites

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Actually, Chicago is still the 3rd largest city. Houston is 4th ... but growing much faster in population and economically.

This is why the NFL teams share profits ... else how can the Green Bay Packers, Buffalo Bills, or Jacksonville Jaguars compete ?

19. muas2010

muas2010 Member

But they still spread the money to the NBA, Rockets, and directly to Morey's pocket. You'd be surprised how many are in a radius of less than 1,000 miles of Houston. I don't live in Houston, or in Texas, but have traveled to Houston to watch the Rockets played twice this season already.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

its easier for the nfl to share REVENUE, not profits. They share TELEVISION CONTRACT revenue because all their contracts are league wide, unlike other sports where teams have their own tv contracts