1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Chandler Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sweetbobl, Jan 26, 2013.

1. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

Has Parsons really improved from his rookie season? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's been the monologue from Rockets management, the media & most everybody else.

If you look at the real numbers, he's increased his 3 pt shooting (as of this post) from 35 to 36 pct (not really enough to note). His FG pct is virtually identical. His overall numbers have gone up but he's playing 5 more minutes a game in a much higher paced offense. His free throw pct has made a legit jump, which is good to see. However, offensively I don't really see the progress.

Of greater concern is Parsons defense & his plus-minus. Parsons was a legitimately strong defender last year. I felt like he was superior to Battier in his Rocket prime as a one-on-one defender. His defense is nowhere near at the same level this year. He's looked below average at times this year. I'm not sure if it's the increase in minutes that's wearing him out or the league has figured him out or maybe it's the ladies wearing him down.

So what does he mean big picture? Well... he's got the worst plus-minus on the Rockets this year. Considering he's getting 36 minutes a game, that's not a good sign. I guess my biggest suggestion as I look at the numbers would be to shrink his minutes just a little. I think we'd increase his defensive productivity in the long run & maybe increase his shooting pct. Plus, his backup, Carlos Delfino leads the Rockets in plus-minus.

Has anybody else picked up on this or is it just me?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

He's obviously improved... You don't need to look at stats to notice.

3. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I personally feel like something is missing in his game. A lot of people here just don't really know what to say about him. He'll have great games and then average games, but never really terrible games either. He's an interesting case, that's for sure.

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

He's had a dribble drive finish (dunk or layup) that we rarely saw last season that we're seeing alot of this season. Last season he was more of a 3 point shooter and clean-up guy (dat 360 teabag).

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think he feels he'd be singled out and called for flops even when taking blows as a defender. When you make way less then a $1million those fines do hurt.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Good rookie year, even better sophomore year. Better 3 pt average, much better FT average, assists per game up 50%. What's not to like?

And you started this thread on a night when he has 16pts, 11 assists, and 6 rebounds?

7. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

he is more skillfull, but he is definitely looser this year. well he is playing average 40min a game, so I'm kinda expecting that.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When you play 36 mins a game you can't go in and insert all of your energy, his defenses being weaker is him preserving his energy (not being as aggressive) so he can get through the whole game AND season as a starter.

Parsons play is awesome, he's only in his 2nd season and he plays like a veteran do it all. He scores, rebounds, passes, plays D and can handle the ball. Whats not to love? He's got great size at 6'9 225 for the forward position, he's one of the leaders on the team, plays smart, a glue guy he simply has it all.

He does all these things well, but none great. Which is why he's no allstar, but thats ok not everybody's a allstar. He's just one of those "average" players that fans and coaches love.

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I agree that Parsons is, at most, an average defender this season. When defending against finesse players, Melo, Kobe, he does a decent job 1 on 1, but against fast players, he is terrible, always getting beat off the dribble. Just can't stay in front!

Injuried shoulder? Nah...you play 1 on 1 defense with you feet.

McHale needs to reduce his PT to max his production. Like Carl H said, GARM overrates Parsons bc of his purty face.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Put him in a mask and nobody would even notice that he exists. Overrated handsome player.

11. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Chandler Parsons have it all

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If Parsons counts as a big then he may be the only big Lin can consistently get assists off of for a the jumpshot or layup. Sad to say but other bigs on the team just can't be counted on as much. Asik is getting better though.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

+28 tonight

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

^^^^^ BTW that's how LOFs look at it.

15. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Parsons has height but he doesn't have long arms. So he's kinda average size for a SF.

16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

In this freestyle offense where the guards dominate the ball, its not hard to tell he's gottenbetter. He'd bne even better in a more fluid offense. He doesnt slash/cut like he needs to. Thats when he's at his best.

Wish we could trade McHale for Doc Rivers.

17. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I've noticed he's developed a good shot fake.

I wonder what the stats are on his shot fake.
    I bet he does 3 to 7 of them a game.
    I legitimately never know if he's going to fake it or shoot it.
    Its pretty awesome.

18. New

I like Parsons' game. He is playing smart and having important impacts on the game in terms of defense, off-ball screening, passing the ball and cutting to the basket. He is the kind of player that does not make BIG plays. He just works every game and makes his solid contribution.

Plus/Minus is not always a good indicator of a player's performance. It also depends on how he is substituted.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He has been more noticeable the past two games.

20. conquistador#11

blasphemy!

Douglas talked about how he had the same injury as parsons and how it screwed up his shot for the entire year. You can't ignore the impact of that injury and how is he has battled through it. He only has a right scapula and left scapula (insert drexler laugh here)