1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Beverley Being a Good Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ed_tx, May 8, 2013.

1. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Not always, even Chris Paul gets screened off often. Most of the time against a good screen setter it depends on how you and your help defender decides to play it. Going under the screen or switching off of it.

2. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I agree- he's that pesky defender that comes in and runs around like crazy to try to disrupt the man he's guarding. Almost kind of like a Scotty Brooks ironically. But he hasn't proven to be a good defender... Yet. Not saying he can't be one but people are giving him the crown prematurely.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry about the funny looking posts. :confused:

4. ed_tx

Correct. But Beverley doesn't do either. He never try's to go under or switch off. He runs straight into it like the guy setting a pick has the gravitational pull of a black hole.

Watch the video clip again of Jackson's 20 points and you will see what I'm saying.

5. ed_tx

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lin underrated defender? Lin's at best average. All those games Bev played the whole 4th quarter were because Lin was getting beat defensively. There was a particular stretch early in the season where every opposing point guard was torching us via Jeremy Lin. His defense did improve but I'd call it average at best. The difference is Bev has the capability of actually stayin in front of his man. He can force his man into a 2nd & 3rd move. Lin just pushes his man in a certain direction.

7. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Just watched it again and don't see it at all. First one he tried to go over it but Jackson already made his move driving right. If anything Asik needs to closer to cut off the drive by him. Even then it's a running down the lane floater which is hard to guard. The last one was pretty good switch off but Jackson just made a tough shot over Asik.

8. ed_tx

Watch the Reggie Jackson video earlier in the thread and say that with a straight face. He wasn't able to do any of that to Jackson.

9. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I think the Rockets I watch are different then the team some of you guys are watching, because Beverley is a beast defender.

He gets over screens like no one else in the league can. All his steals come from on ball pressure. I lost count on how many times he poked the ball away from Westbrook. Bev is just a pesky defender.

Got to be the best shot blocking PG in the league, and probably in the top 3-5 for all guards

1 person likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

It is piece of **** fans like you that are the cause of all the division in the GARM. The OP has been a poster since 2003. Just because you disagree with him you are going to label people LOFs?

There has been plenty of threads on how Jeremy Lin is a joke, how Jeremy Lin shouldn't start, how we should trade Jeremy Lin. And this is a guy the coach liked so much he started him the entire season. A guy the GM views as the 3rd best player on the entire team. If people can hate on him as much as they have all year long and remain Rocket fans, the OP can certainly offer some constructive criticism on a guy that wasn't even here until the second half of the season and got burnt repeatedly by Reggie freakin Jackson.

Get this garbage out of here.

2 people like this.
  11. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

He's very good at pressuring the ball, which is important (and looks good), but he's not a great help defender. He's kind of the opposite of Lin, who gets a lot of his steals from his help defense and surprise doubling, but is pretty poor at pressuring the ball and staying in front of a guy one-on-one.

12. ed_tx

I guess people see things differently. (I was trying to be funny with the Black Hole comment). To me it seems like everytime Beverley is picked, he just gives up on the play. On the first pick, he could've gone under. On the second he just slows down and gives up. On the third, he tries to fight through but gets schooled and ends up watching Jackson from behind.

I think a guy like MadMax, Battier or Artest in his heyday could've defended way better on all of these plays...

13. ed_tx

I agree- he is very pesky but for every poke he gets or steal, he also picks up silly fouls or is left reaching and gets beat. As for getting over screens, just watch the video a Beverley fan posted earlier of Jackson going for 20. He struggles with screens.

14. harden man

harden man Member

I agree with this. I like him. Hes not the starter BUT brings high energy off the bench. One thing Lin said in his exit interview was McHale talked about him pushing the ball more....This I think was Lins biggest failure. He touches the ball in the back court he should be pushing and more than no he was walking it up.

I really like Beverly for this energy. Starter ...NO but I like him.

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Good for you. I'm with you on this one 100% not that you need my support.

Only problem is coachbadlee is on my ignore list and only time I have to read his **** is when he's quoted.

Please add him to your ignore list so you don't have to quote and reply to his **** anymore, and save everyone else the grief of having to read it too.

Cheers.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Sorry you feel that way Dinkum. I didn't know grown men ignored each other. What a world.:( How sad that you would let someones opinion hurt your feelings. Get well soon.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Were you crying when you posted this?:confused:

18. Fighton

Fighton Member

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

No. But I did print your post out and was wiping my ass with it while I was typing.

20. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

- using reggie jacksons stats needs to be taken with other factors such as brooks playing behind beverly as opposed to beverley and lin. Also, in the games that we won, I noticed that jackson got a lot of his points in the garbage minutes where he put up tear drops in the paint and the games were mostly out of reach.

- I like beverley's energy. When he houndogs his man up the court, it slows down the ball handler and this takes time off the shot clock and less time for the other team to run their offense.

- his rebounding is what I also like about him. mchale caled ti a risk due to not having enough safties for a counter but I notice that when bev does go for boards and misses, he qucikly recovers to not be a liability.

- as for his defense, he is not elite (I only really put allen and a few others as elite wings d men), but it is above average and we can all agree that he has outplayed his contract