1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Beverley Being a Good Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ed_tx, May 8, 2013.

1. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Conley is a much better defender than Bev, sure, but Bev isn't bad; Conley also has better shot blockers/big defenders behind him. Bev needs more experience tho.

2. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was starting to feel like Rowdy Piper in They Live and that I was the only one wearing the special sunglasses that let me see reality... (ok, younger Clutchfans, I know I lost you with that one... haha):)

3. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Great is a subjective term and no one in their right mind thinks he's a great team defender. He's a rookie that's only been on the team since January that's trying to gel with people playing together for the first time since October.

Now maybe for a vet team and vet player and everyone is still clamoring about a players defense should it become a hot button discussion.

The thought is a few levels above "water is wet" in my opinion.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Uhh Durant was at the top of the key and Bev jumped to contest the shot before he even land Garcia was running towards Jackson already. There was no way Bev would of even been able to run to the corner to give a good contest from the top of the 3pt line.

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for posting the vid. I love coach nicks bball breakdowns.

Didn't hear any mention of Beverley in the video though?

Isn't this thread about how good a defender Beverley is? Would love to hear coach nick's thoughts on that.

6. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Dude Garcia ran at Reggie to close out instantly, and the reason he knew to do that instantly was because he and all of us can see that Beverley is in the air lol. What do you want Beverley to do? Glide backwards towards Reggie?

Beverley ran at Durant and closed off the lane so he couldn't drive. He recognized Durant was going to make the pass to Reggie and there was no hope to get back, so he jumped up to deflect the pass. Garcia ran to close out. Beverley stays in Durant's way so he doesn't get an easy rebound/put back.

I guess defense is one of those things people have differing opinions on... but I have analysts, scouts, Morey, McHale, his lateral speed, athleticism, and long reach on my side.

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Geezus! I think the BOFs have really got their knickers in a knot!

8. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

This video makes me think the Lakers keeping Howard and trading Gasol to Houston might be the best thing to happen for the Rockets...

Just keep in mind that everyone (particularly on these boards) very much has a "what have you done for me lately" mindset. They go crazy if a player has one great game (see: Greg Smith, D-Mo, T-Jones, Pauley Shore) and then summarily dump the guy once he has a bad game. Bev never had to push through a series of bad games (he only had the one final game, and that was mitigated by the always-moderating presence of Jeremy Lin), so everyone is still riding high on him.

Also, sorry old man I don't know what you're referring to at all with Rowdy Piper. Well, I know who Rowdy Piper is. He's that wrestler, right? Back when wrestling still pretended to be "real"?

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Defensive efficiency:
    Memphis - 2
    Houston - 16

Could that have anything to do with how Reggie Jackson is doing when comparing between the 1st and 2nd round?

Beverley isn't that great of a defender because the opponents PG was able to go off on us but hasn't been able to against the 2nd best team D in the league. Not to mention the extremely small sample size. Kind of a weak argument if you ask me.

10. ed_tx

Correct- he is the wrestler that took a turn at acting. His best movie was They Live, about aliens that invade our world and live amongst us. Humans don't even know it though until a special kind of sunglasses are invented and let the wearer see that the aliens are all among us and people just can't see it. Actually not a horrible movie- entertaining enough to watch at least. lol

11. ed_tx

I agree that it's a small sample size and thus, I reserve to make the ultimate conclusion when we see him for a full season next year. My point is that so many people are heaping praise on him over his defense and saying how great of a defender he is. It's simply too soon to say that and he hasn't proven it yet. It's a myth.

12. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

can we all just agree that all our guys suck at defense?

13. ed_tx

In reference to a few games being too small of a sample size on Beverley's defense, I agree but I also agree from Patterned, a lot of people credit Beverley with good defense.

I just don't think it's true at this point,

14. ed_tx

But that's ok as long as our offense is just a lil bit better each game...:grin:

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Only a bit on it from your old post topic video at the 15min mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VsYkhkdqb_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

BOF's? What kind of fantasy world do you inhabit here on Clutchfans?

17. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

My man Bev :cool:

18. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Bev is a great on the ball defender. High risk/high reward. Yes he can disrupt the offense, force turnovers better than Lin but at the same time, he's more likely to get burned or commit dumb fouls playing that brand of defense. Lin plays more team defense, whether it's keeping his guy in front, or funneling dribblers into other teammates, and providing help defense.

19. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Then you got Magic Johnson who was high on Linsanity last year saying Bev is better a better defender. Add that with coach Nick G and other media heads who gave Bev credit for his defense and it's pretty obvious to me that he plays "good" defense.

20. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Totally agree.

Magic was right about Lin and he's right about Beverley!

No doubting the Magic Man!