1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Beverley Being a Good Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ed_tx, May 8, 2013.

1. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

1 person likes this.
  2. CP30

CP30 Member

It's kind of hard to ask Beverly to cover every single player on the floor. Other than himself, Asik, and Parsons very few players on our team play good defense.

He steals the ball, blocks shots, and contests far more shots than nearly our entire roster combined.

That level of effort he brings adds to the energy of our team which only helps even more.

I don't know what else you consider good defense. He's not great or elite but he's good. Especially for his size when it comes to blocking shots.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Reggie Jackson had a decent performance last game. Isnt he supposed to be "just Reggie Jackson, whats he doing getting up 15 shots against a solid D? (with 10 boards, 2 steals)

Reggie Jackson looking like SUPERSTAR?! Mike Conley defense is MYTH :p

I'm not saying that Beverly is GREAT defender. (I am saying that he's a good defender in that he's at least a WILLING defender.) I'm not taking up for him TOO much cuz you have to wonder why Derek Fisher is looking like Reggie Miller in his prime out there.

I was saying that using the Grizzlies 2 games as a counter example against what Beverley wasnt doing, its just wasnt too indicative yet with the criteria mentioned. There's at least 2 more games to go. If Jackson has another low-output game we can say that Beverley needs to stop being lost on D so much and he SHOULD STUDY these tapes to better himself.

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Letting Reggie Jackson beat us, just like letting sefalosha beat us previously was the game plan. Bevervey's job was just to run around the outside of the zone like a headless chicken.

He failed. He'll do better next time.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I agree with that. I think there's little doubt that Harden was worn down by season's end.

(If you consider "cyberx" as anything credible as an "insider", He said almost 2 months ago that Harden was worn down by the heavy minutes. And that the front office wasnt too happy with him playing so many minutes)

Anyways this is about Beverley i think lol. On to other threads now...

6. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

On the flip side, Lin is not as good at on-ball defense but excels at team and positional defense.

On-ball defense is more apparent however, so it will obviously be noticed and in the mind of viewers more than something like team D which can often times go unnoticed.

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

So you're saying we're bad off with both of our point guards...???

8. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I can't speak for him but I think that we are pretty good with both of our point guards. Lin did fine for his first year and I see no reason he won't keep improving with his work ethic. Beverley came in and he proved he can provide some great energy off the bench. I think we have the PG position cemented. We just need a PF to step up and our superstar FA acquisition.

9. wincan459

wincan459 Member

I would love to take a NBA defensive job which is allowing your man open all game long.;)

1 person likes this.
  10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

He played alot like TD on defense. He earned his money for next season.

Longer term on more sample size? Not so sure.

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea, I think the point guard is cemented as well but with Beverly as tye starter... Just my opinion but I'm assuming one of them (if not both) will be better going forward.

12. CP30

CP30 Member

To me we really only need a PF. I think we're set in other positions.