1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of Beverley Being a Good Defender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ed_tx, May 8, 2013.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

The most insightful post of this thread!

2. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

So you're implying that I'm only a fan of Asian basketball players? Hardly. I became a Rockets fan when we had the Twin Towers, along with Sweet Lou and Mitchell Wiggins. I stayed a fan and kept buying my season ticket packages even when we had some of the crappy teams with Thomas Hamilton and Stanley Roberts as our bigs. I was a huge fan of Steve Francis and The Cat and even partied on stage with Franchise at his NBA All Star Party a few months back. I own almost every T-Mac jersey known to man including the hard to find Space City Version and also a T-Mac Rockets Baseball Jersey. But you got it right man. I'm a YOF and now a LOF. I was also a MOF, WZZOF and a YJLOF.

I'm guessing that I attend more games than you do and that I cheer for ALL the Rockets players, including Beverley, while you sit at home and watch your low def bootleg stream and boo Lin regardless of his play.

I'm also guessing that you didn't think Yao could play b/c of your bias against Asian basketball players and you were probably all over Barkley's jock and his assessment of Yao's talent. But then, you jumped on the bandwagon and became a big Yao fan after he proved you wrong, the fake fan that you are.

How am I doing?

Make some valid points instead of just throwing out dumb accusations.

3. ed_tx

I just jacked your line and made it my own, like Ice Cube did when he was Jackin For Beats.

4. ed_tx

I never said that it was good, just used it as a reference. It was a cheesy alien movie- basically funny to watch bc of the corny acting of Roddy Piper and the weak looking aliens they had.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dammmmmmmm, straight jackin!:eek::cool:

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Daaaaaammm, straight jackin!:eek::cool:

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

At that point it is a team defensive strategy. It was obvious they were forcing the point guards to shoot and you don't know Beverly's responsibilities there. What you attribute to Beverley's poor defense could just as easily been attributed to poor rotations by others or poor defensive design or any number of other things. How about the fact that Garcia never left Durant, even 50 feet from the basket, when normal defensive philosophy would be to help clog the lane to stop penetration by the point guard. When you're playing basically 4 on 3, (Garcia and his help defender occupied) a guard like Jackson is quick enough to get any shot he wants. Give Jackson credit. Fisher wasn't getting any lay ups because he want quick enough to exploit it. Jackson actually settled for outside shots and he was pretty bad and someone probably pointed out the open lane and then he started mixing it up effectively in that last game.

If you want to criticize Beverley, there's room to do it but his energy level on offense and defense practically won us a game. He was a mid season free agent from overseas who had no training camp and had to start playoff games, overall playing just fine. He gets a lot of benefit of the doubt there.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Before this turns into a 20-30 year movie review, i would like to say that you claim to not be an LOF and i will take your word for it. Just sayin that when you post a negative sounding thread title about a player who is just coming off of the greatest point in his career thus far and helped his team, it just seems...so.....LOFish.

9. ed_tx

Lol- since you quoted the great Ice Cube in your thread in reference to me, I thought that I would do the same in return... :grin:

1 person likes this.
  10. ed_tx

Again with the LOF stuff. It isn't really a negative sounding thread though but maybe it is for those who have LOH tendencies and feel the need to have to bring LOF language into any thread that critiques any Rocket but Lin. I think that I'm pretty complimentary about Beverley overall and he clearly had some big plays in the playoffs. If I say that Harden was an offensive beast this season but he shouldn't be labeled a defensive stud, is that really negative? Or is it just trying to seek more clarity on the issue? Or is it LOFish?

1 person likes this.
  11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

@ed_tx

just put that kid coachbadlee on your ignore list.
    he's just baiting you. no need to respond, he's a known hater.

+ save me from having to read his ****

12. ed_tx

LOL- sorry about that. I know he's baiting me, especially b/c he feels like my post discredits his about how great Beverley is. But he and I do agree about as many times as Beverley makes an assist in a game....

JK Badlee!!! LOL

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't get Dinkum. People disagree all the time on here. Like you said Ed, we have agreed about a few things before this. Even though your joke was terrible, i am sure we will agree again some day.

PS Dinkum, i will not be ignored!!!:grin::grin:

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Ding ding ding!

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I think the campaign is a underrated movie, i enjoy will ferrell way too much for my own liking.

Bev is good on the ball, pressing, but the amount of wide-open threes in the playoffs was mindboggling. I get we wanted anybody but Durant to beat us, but i remember occasions where he could've recovered, but just sorta conceded, sorta un-Beverely like... but it was only half a dozen games, hes young, the team will become more disciplined defensively, hopefully a PF who can score to take the offensive load off James so he can zone in a bit more defensively, he CAN defend. We all know it

panda out

16. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

pressuring the ball requires a lot of stamina and energy... patrick beverly and toney douglas are good at it because they only play in 3-4 minute streches... the longer they play the less effective they become... so if beverly gets starter minutes you will see him do less ball pressuring as you would need to conserve a lot of energy to play 7-8 minute streches...

17. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

its not about being young its about energy... he still doesn't know have to pace himself in defense... but once he learned how to pace himself and gets starter minutes you will see him less pressuring the ball...

18. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think you are wrong, Beverly is a great defender. Maybe you(or I) need glasses because I thought his defensive work was great without question.

19. gene18

gene18 Rookie

The plus-minus numbers should not be used for one game. They are meaningless of not combined over at least a year and corrected for the ability of the other player on the court. The stat people that I have read state that the plus-minus numbers should idealy be over two year. I think most of us forget about the law of larger numbers which is the rational for extrapolating from your sample to your population. Large samples are very important.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

What did i say about Beverely getting starters minutes? I love him but its not feasible to pressure the way he does 36 minutes a game, 82 games a season. I like Lin, and he should be the starting PG, and play starters minutes barring a trade. People have very short memories, and man people have forgotten that post ASG Lin was productive, given Hardens issues back end we wouldnt have made the playoffs if others didnt step it up.