1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Myth of “There is Always a Better Twin” and Thoughts on Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Identical Twins Myth

I have heard this over and over again, that there is always a “better twin” (identical twin). To define "better", I'd say an all-star level players vs. low-end starter/rotational player OR someone that is an NBA rotational player and the other did not make it to the NBA.

I’m here to convince you that it is less common (< 50% chance) for one identical twin to be superior to another, as there have been only 2 cases in the past 40+ years where one twin was definitely better.

1) Brook vs. Robin Lopez and 2) Keegan vs. Kris Murray. Basically recency bias.

Even then, Brook was picked at #10 and Robin at #15. Robin still played 15 years in the NBA, but could never develop a 3 point shot to expand his career. When Kris Murray had a similar role to Keegan at Iowa, Kris produced very good results, which is why he was still a 1st round pick.

Here are the other twins worth mentioning:

Horace and Harvey Grant
    • Drafted #10 and #12 in different drafts
    • Both high level starters
    Marcus and Markieff Morris
    • Markieff picked before Marcus, but Marcus has been better recently
    • Both played many years in the NBA as starters and key reserves
    Jason and Jarron Collins
    • Jason picked in 1st round and Jarron in 2nd round
    • Although Jason may be slightly better, both had similar NBA careers as a bench bigs
    Caleb and Cody Martin
    • Caleb undrafted, Cody drafted #36
    • Caleb may be the better player as we’ve seen with the Heat
    Andrew and Aaron Harrison
    • Both played very little for 3 season in the NBA and didn’t make it
    Amen/Ausar Thompson (TBD)
    • Both w/ elite athleticism, high IQ, defensive potential, and both can’t shoot
    • Picked 1 spot apart
    Griffin Twin Myth

I heard on Rockets Chat last week (@JayZ750 ?) mention Blake Griffin had an identical twin that didn’t make it in the NBA, and also there are “countless other cases” of identical twins of NBA players that are not in the NBA.

Well, Taylor Griffin (Blake’s brother) is 3 years older, so he can’t be a twin (not sure where this rumor came from). The only case I found where 1 made it in the NBA while the other did not was Brad and Brian Wanamaker, but there are sources (Philly Inquirer) that say they’re fraternal twins and NOT identical twins.

Bottom Line on Identical Twins - Talent of identical twins are often similar in the NBA and we may not even know who the better twin is before, during, or after the draft.

Hopefully by now I have convinced you that identical twins are more likely to have similar careers than not.

Amen has barely played, but Ausar 33 games averaging 25 minutes/game, so we have slightly more data/tape on the other twin.

Thoughts on Amen Thompson

I definitely did not want Amen at the 4th pick. He was an older prospect who played low level competition and could not shoot. While I did like his potential, I felt the level of gamble would make sense more for a late lottery pick than the 4th pick. With that said, I’m very happy that some of the concerns I had were answered and no longer concerns.

High IQ/Feel for Game
    • When I saw him live in Vegas Summer leagues, the 1st thing I noticed was his incredible feel for the game and high IQ.
    • Can’t make judgements in summer league, but he was guarded by Scoot Henderson (w/ other NBA players) and did well.
    • While he has high TOs early in the season and “loose handles”, it’s difficult to not see his vision and high IQ in many plays.
    Athleticism and Defense
    • OTE has low level players and I was initially concerned he wouldn’t seem as athletic in the NBA
    • From limited minutes, it appears Amen/Ausar are very athletic even by NBA standards
    • Tough to judge defense when Amen has barely played, but he has potential to be an elite level defender at multiple positions
    • Average 1 on 1 defense per NBA dot com (players shot 0.3% worse when guarded by Amen)
    • Above average team defense based on DBPM
    Poor Shooting
    • This one is tough and I’m not sure if he will get better. Poor mechanics and afraid to shoot.
    • Unless you’re a rim running center or have 4 other starters that can shoot 3s, it’s difficult to have a non-shooting PG
    • If shooting does not improve, Amen may top out as a rotational NBA player/low level starter
    • However, if shooting is even adequate (30%+ on 3s), he has all-star potential at the minimum
    Draft Position
    • Still think it was too high at 4, but with VanVleet signed, this huge gamble is less risky
    Final Thoughts - It is still very early to make any final judgements on Amen Thompson and we cannot call him a bust. I’m not sure if his shooting will ever improve, but he has impressed me with his high IQ/feel for the game and elite defensive potential. I still would not take him at #4 due to his lack of shooting.

2. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Streisand effect ftw

jbond77 likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Your stats don't matter to me, as long as Amen Thompson is a Rocket he will always be superior to his brother.

Amel, fryjol7, jbond77 and 5 others like this.
  5. Dredd

Dredd Member

But which one of our twin b****es is hopping off of jet skis?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In seriousness @Medicine N Music I think what most people fail to realize is that Amen Thompson is accelerating relative to the reference frame of Ausar Thompson - who experiences no acceleration and accordingly does not experience time dilation.

You are right in that the "paradox" is not really such, if not technically a myth, just a hypothetical that omits key details

Medicine N Music and ramotadab like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’m bullish on Amen.

I don’t think 4 was too high and I think he’s going to be an elite pg. I think his shot will be good enough to where if he gets space he will make them at a good rate.

I think he’s going to be really special.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Collins brothers were really both pedestrian......

Little Bit and Jontro like this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

A) The sample size is far too small. 2 if the 8 cases you cite are incomplete grades, and should be excluded (Murray's and Thompson's). Of the remaining 6 cases, twice one twin is superior to the other (and arguable perhaps in some of the remaining 4 cases).

B) If one Thompson twin IS to be superior, there exists no evidence to suggest it would be Ausar. Rather the evidence tells in favour of Amen (to date) - see scouting and projections prior to draft. Their time in the NBA is far too short to currently assess.

C) Should Amen follow the projections of being the superior twin, we now have a baseline of Ausar from which to project forward. Imagine Ausar with legitimate PG vision and skills? Wow!

Nook likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Horace Grant was definitely a better player than Harvey Grant and it wasn’t close.

Robin Lopez had always been a cut above Robin Lopez as well. One is an energy reserve and the other is an elite defender and starter.

Honestly the only one that has really been close is the Morris twins.

As for Amen and Ausar - I think watching them, it’s evident that Amen is the better athlete and lead guard as a passer.

I think we will likely have a gap between the Thompson twins because what they are being asked to do, how they are being used and coaching philosophy are so very different.

I would take Amen at #4 again based on what I have seen. The shot is the reason he didn’t go #2… and it is still a question, but he has quietly been okay on long 2’s… I’ll give him time to get his 3 pointer in a range good enough to not kill his game… even at 32-33% from 3 and he will be able to use his other skills to be very good.

don grahamleone and Amel like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I understand the concerns for Amen but athletic 6'6+ PGs are a little similar to 18 yr old Euroleague mvps, majority of them pan out.

Cade Cunningham, Dyson Daniels, Scottie Barnes, Anthony Black, Ball Bros, Tyrese Haliburton among others. Hell we even got former busts like Dante Exum blowing up. Ben Simmons also achieved success, although his work ethic eventually destroyed his career for a time he was a multi all star in his early 20s.

At the time Rox were searching for a star so to me it made sense to get Amen cuz he had possibly the 2nd highest ceiling in his class. Even now since we got a capable pg in FVV I'm happy we ended up with him cuz it might pay dividends later on.

Nook likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, most of the people complaining about him not having a shot sound odd because he never had a shot. Neither of the twins did. Despite that, they were considered top 5-7 picks before the draft. The only disappointing thing I've seen from Amen is that his handle is a bit questionable inside and in traffic. I never would've guessed that. Hopefully that's just a transition from pre-NBA to NBA thing. On a side note, I saw the same issues with Cam on drives getting past guys early in the season, but he picks and chooses his spot to drive better nowadays. Amen also doesn't seem to use all of his athleticism on drives or know when to jump and jam on somebody or just go for a layup. I think he's adjusting to the speed of the NBA and seeing when and where he can use whatever skills he has. In OTE and high school, he was easily more athletic than pretty much everybody, but he's going to have to pick and choose his spots in the NBA. Jalen has/had to do something similar.

I don't think Ausar is that much different than Amen except for the ballhandling/PG work. Ausar is 98% as athletic, slightly bigger, etc., and neither has shown one is all that much better than the other yet. Hell, it hasn't even been half a season yet, and I doubt anything about the "better twin" is going to be decided before another 2-4 years.

#13 Dr of Dunk, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Nook, Little Bit and apollo33 like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm going to disagree with you about Amen's floor. If he doesn't shoot above 30%, I don't think he will be a winning starter in the NBA. We think that he'll still get his points at the rim, but once he's an established sub 30% shooter then like WB (and Ben Simmons to some extent) teams will constantly force him into a net negative position by refusing to let him enter the paint and let him get anything else he wants. What happens here is his finishes at the rim will be the most difficult ones in the league and his defender will always be tasked with double teaming on our best scorers. This is bad offense for a playoff-bound team. We can only sustain it off the bench for now.

IMO Amen is All Star or bust depending on his 3pt shot. There's no in between. Luckily, his 3pt shot looks like it's improving at a steady pace. For the ceiling that this guy provides, I'm willing to give him 2-3 years to develop that 3pt shot. It's great that we can bring him off the bench and not be in desperate need for him to be ready right now. With Udoka being a strong development guy and Amen being such an obsessed basketball nerd, I think it's fair to be optimistic about the formula we have in place.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I still think Amen can be the best player on this team. His jumpshot is as bad as advertised and his handle is still a bit shaky but the raw tools are all there and he seems like a good kid overall. He's still really young and unfortunately wasted a key year of development by playing in a glorified YMCA but there's still plenty of time for improvement.

Mathloom likes this.
  16. WestendMassive

Not sure how you forgot about these guys

Confirms the myth lol

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Amen is a fascinating athlete with some innate feel and skill, but knowing he was a bad shooter pre draft and now watching it unfold in real time hoping it gets better is bittersweet. Nobody else was really worth the pick at 4 though. Im just starting to wonder how necessary a 'pure' PG is next to Sengun. Finding some viable shooting defenders seems to have moved to #1 on the priority list.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Solid post as usual.

I have seen glimpses of decent mid range shooting, so that’s at least some reason for a bit of optimism. But agreed that we just don’t know if he’ll ever become a good shooter…which is a legit concern. With a guy like AlP, you ideally want players around him that can shoot from long range at a high clip. Right now are starting 2 guard doesn’t fit that bill so Amen’s lack of shooting is going to be a bigger problem in the near term.

fortunately Amen is just a rookie with amazing work ethic, IQ, and talent. So anything is possible ;)

Medicine N Music likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Jose and Ozzie Canseco.
    You suck Alex Rodriguez!

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not trying to mock the thread. But I just can't resist posting this picture.

[​IMG]