1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mysterious Mr. Langhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Admore, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Admore

Admore Member

Can any of the really plugged in to the Rockets types out there tell me what the hell has happened to Dan Langhi. Everyone seemed excited about him, and he looked good in the summer, ok in preseason, and then he vanished. Is he dead? Invisible? A draft mistake? It seems like there's got to be a few minutes for a 6'11" guy who can drill 3s AND run the court, unlike our other guy who's 6'10" and drills 3s (never can have too many of that type, eh?)

So, anyway, where is he? Is he heading for playing time or for Europe?

------------------

2. Digaida

Digaida Member

From an unplugged rocket fan [​IMG] -

The general thought is(I think):

He's not able to guard the fast SF's, and he's not big enough, bulky enough to defend the PF. I think Rudy is just taking him along slowly, teaching him, letting him learn defense. At this point I doubt you could say he is a draft mistake, he hasn't seen minutes. He has potential, he did really well in summer league. Every now and then he did seem like he was lost, but that is expected from a rookie, even Collier was lost first couple games without many minutes.

Another thought, our lineup is pretty well full. With the rotation we are using not many minutes Langhi could have. Specially how much we use the 3 guard lineup. Langhi is a project at moment, taking it slow, definitly has potential from what I saw in the Summer leagues......has this nice cross over to set up a long jump shot...very nice shooter...hehe oh and how bout that dunk gainst Utah in Summer league, Nasty! As I've said before, I really enjoy every garbage minute he gets...just wish Mobley wouldn't hoard the garbage time shots...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Digaida (edited December 11, 2000).]

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Dan might start to see a few "real" minutes in the new year - but I'm not really expecting too much from him this year. I think Rudy likes the kid and is grooming him slowly to be able to step in and play confidently in the future.

I'm sure the rockets have him working out in the weights room at every opportunity right now!

------------------

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't claim to be an insider, but I agree with the other posters that Dan is being brought in very slowly. Last year, Dream & Charles were injured so KT, Steve and to some extent Cuttino were forced into a steep learning curve. Fortunately for us, they survived.

I hope we never have to see it, but let's say Wiz and Bull both were injured. I think Dan Langhi would then get some serious NBA OJT!

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited December 11, 2000).]

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If there is one thing I've learned about player management by Rudy is he let's players know their role early in the season, and it takes a lot to change that. Many coaches do that. Pitino was known for having his players announce there role in a team meeting before the season began. If the role was upgraded mid-season, they would announce it again.

I am not "plugged" into any special Rocket's facts, but my opinion is that Rudy told Langhi he is Bullard's backup. Spend this year learning the game and practicing hard, and be ready to play. I'm sure he said, don't expect any playing time unless Bull goes down. I doubt a Walt injury would give him playing time.

As for my assessment of his play, Langhi looked confused by the offense in pre-season. He doesn't look too bright. I don't think he has much experience playing the weakside, to say the least.

6. Old School

Old School Member

Who is he gonna replace? The Rockets are playing respectable basketball without him and I really don't see where he would fit in. They haven't blown out enough teams to give him any minutes. I don't think Rudy should be experimenting with something that is working for the most part.

I think Langhi will be given the chance with the time comes.

Old School

------------------
    I voted YES!

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Geeze, and some of us were worried about Najera starting for Dallas and what a mistake we made. Tee hee!

Najera still gets some minutes, but they are becoming fewer and fewer, 12.8 per game to be precise.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

8. cson

cson Contributing Member

I'd like to address this "Dan Langhi" that you all so galantly refer to; If he exist, and is not a figmant of our collective imaginations, then "where" has he "been" and when/if/how will he compliment the "team"....this is the question as I understand it. [​IMG]

------------------
    C-son

9. cson

cson Contributing Member

hey

------------------
    C-son

10. heypartner

What do you mean....he compliments them a lot. And usually it is a "kapaya-esque" compliment!

11. heypartner

12. haven

haven Member

I think his nickname, "damn lanky," says it all...Langhi may have good skills for a rookie, but his body isn't ready yet. I bet we see a more bulked up version of him in the future.

------------------
    Shandon Anderson rocks.
    The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

13. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I like Langhi but he is skin and bones and would get abused out there. Also, I'm sure Langhi lights it up in practice as does Bullard but the difference between the 2 is that Bullard can knock it down in the games when the pressure is on and I dont think Rudy thinks Langhi can.... yet

------------------
    www.truebballfansite.homestead.com

14. Digaida

Digaida Member

Any skilled scorer can make the shot, experience is all that is needed, playing time. Bullard can to a certain extent defend(Air Bullard, "He's got that 10" vertical working tonight!") and has proven himself so he's our number one #2(?), while Langhi gets lost some on offense and defense...so as the post above, it's going to be great to have newer improved Bullard when Bullard leaves...time will prove and tell...

------------------

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

All I know is the guy has played 15 minutes all season and scored 7 points in landfill time(worse than garbage time). If Langhi is a project, I'd like to see the blueprint to get a detailed view of the finished product.

------------------
    Five to one baby, one in five...no one here gets, out alive.

16. Digaida

Digaida Member

He's only put up 9 shots through 14 minutes....there is no way that can say anything about him or his game. Shooters have to shoot...the more the better...3-9....that says nothing....good or bad...I guess project was wrong terminology, I should of said he has potential and he is taking everything slowly, being brought into the NBA slowly...

Even though I love Mobley, I am going to get mad at him if he continues to pad his stats in garbage time...I mean in last 2-3 minutes when we are down by 20 he's only one shooting...let Langhi, amoung the others, enjoy their garbage time!!

------------------

17. thefranchise3

thefranchise3 Member

Some guy wrote on one of my posts, aww, fabr is back, what is fabr?

------------------
    MOVE FRANCHISE TO SG AND MOBLEY TO PG!

18. cson

cson Contributing Member

You know this season Langhi only averages 4 minutes more per game than I DO!!

------------------
    C-son

19. carlit0

carlit0 Member

It's just that Bullard machine has been kicking some ass. He is doing great, and has really become a major threat to other teams. Other teams more than ever are really having to respect his 3 pt shooting, it's automatic. Word is getting out around the league again about his marksmanship, it is really opening the middle for us. Langhi will be nice when his chance comes up. Just be patient. The awesome thing is that we are going to continue to have this for many years down the road even when Bullard leaves to TV. Langhi will do the same thing and even better so we just have get use to it.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..