1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Most Amazing Election Ever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Jeff, Nov 8, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Forget the arena, this has to be the most amazing time in American political history.

I am just so blown away by how close it is. Now, don't anyone say their vote doesn't matter. I think this ended that argument.

I hope everyone remembers this moment because we are witnessing history. This will be talked and written about for decades.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

2. Redglare

Redglare Member

First of all, congrats on a tremendous victory yesterday. You took on a huge endeavor, which alone, is to be commended. Commended with season tickets, I do believe. [​IMG]

I'm only old enough to have participated in a few elections, but last night was unreal. I couldn't get to sleep, and when I did, I was up a few hours later checking returns. If someone had written this script, I wouldn't believe it.

The most incredible thing? Not only Florida, but Tennessee. Had Gore won his home state, he would have gotten 11 electoral votes...bringing him to 271. Of course, this is assuming the electoral college votes the same way their state does (wouldn't THAT be a kicker?).

Yep, history at work.

------------------

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Jeff, you took the words right out of my mouth, again. THere have been three times when I've witnessed something in politics where I've sat thinking "my nieces and nephew will be reading about this in their American History schoolbooks". First was Nixon's resignation, second was Clinton's impeachment, and now this.

I wonder if the new President, whoever he is, will now try to repeal the 12th Amendment which sets up the Electoral College system?

I do know one thing: whoever becomes the next President is a certain one-termer. Whichever party loses the Presidency this year will believe they were screwed royally. That party, whichever it may be, will work hard on solidifying their base and getting out the vote, and they will win the presidency in a landslide four years from now.

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Think about if just one or two electors change their vote. It's legal for them vote either way if I'm not mistaken. and there is nothing we could do. They vote the way they want to vote. Likely not to happen, but I wouldn't put it past either party to have put somebody in the position do such a thing. Call it a contingency plan if you will. And even if that doesn't happen, all it takes is one person have a conscious. if they feel somebody cheated they could change the vote. Imagine that.

Is the elector vote secret? Or would such a person be known to all?

I'm just thinking anything is possible in this very very crazy world.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited November 08, 2000).]

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yep! A witness to history. I was up until 4:30 this morning and I'm still glued to the internet looking for news.

Simply amazing.

No matter how this plays out, does anyone think whoever wins will have a mandate?

Gore with 200,000 more popular votes, and W wins by 1200, and the Electoral College.

The next four years should be interesting.

And how about the passions this election has brought out in people. I had to actually console my wife (who cried her eyes out all morning). I'll say this, this election, if anything, has reenergized the American people.

What a great and solemn day.

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

Any other Gore supporters feel like they've received a stay of execution?

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I think the most amazing election ever will occur in 2016 when Chuck runs for and becomes pres. [​IMG]

------------------
    MOO

atheistalliance.org

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited November 08, 2000).]

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I think this absentee ballot will closely reflect what has happened thus far. I don't think it will sway in Bush's favor as they expect. It's a very difficult variable to predict. Apathy on absentee ballots is going to be factor. It's totally unpredictable if you ask me.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

What a war, and how great is it that the electoral college was able to narrow it down to just one state. Can you imagine if every state had to be recounted. My god. The system protected us from a mess despite its flaws.

I'm curious. What happens if an elector dies between now and the elector vote. Who is he or she replaced by?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Redglare

Redglare Member

Here's some more food for thought:

If Bush wins FL AND Gore wins OREGON...
    Bush=271
    Gore=267
    (It would take TWO electors to switch their vote...could this happen? WHERE IS WILL?! I know, he's probably a little busy right now.)

On a side note, they have not yet declared Oregon-82% counted, and Bush has a slight lead.

------------------