1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mike Harris Manifesto

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown57, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, This is Mike Harris:

[​IMG]

Mike Harris, for those who don't know, is a 6'6" 240 pound forward who spent played his college ball about 10 minutes from the Toyota Center at Rice, where he owns the school records for points and rebounds. He had a stint with the rockets in 2007-2008. Then he went to China and played for a couple years. He now plays for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

We have an open roster spot. Giving that spot to Mike Harris would help this team immensely. Here's why:

1. Fits our team personality-- Mike Harris is a hustle machine. He runs the court. He crashes the offensive boards. He works hard on defense. He would up the energy of the second unit another notch. He would be a great practice player. He's a big, strong, athletic dude who goes to the basket with baaaad intentions. Let me submit this video to the record as evidence:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ifQp5V-epo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ifQp5V-epo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Knows our system Mike has played for Adelman before, and currently plays for the Rocket's D league team running the Rockets offensive and defensive schemes. This means two things: first, his transition to game-readiness would be quick and easy. Second, It is empirically proven that he can score efficiently in our offense (see point 4 below).

3. Can play multiple positions The only reason Mike Harris hasn't stuck in the league yet is that he is perceived as a "tweener". I think this perception, while it was once accurate, no longer applies. Mike has expanded his range to make him a legitimate 3 point threat (see stats below), and worked on his handle enough to more than get by as an NBA 3.

He would be a plus rebounder at the 3, he would be a useful defender against physical 3s like Carmello, and has the strength to push around skinny 3s (Omri Caspi, martell webster, etc). His physicality and versatility at the 3 would make him a great enforcer for those small lineups featuring Brooks and Lowry.

At 4, he would work hard on defense, and he could spread the court and take the secondary-break-top-of-the-key three pointers that are always available in our offense (see: david andersen's shot selection), and also adds another wrinkle with his ability to get to the basket from the perimiter (see video below)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/md0NUXyLd_c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/md0NUXyLd_c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

He might not be big enough to defend bigger 4s who are low-post proficient (Duncan, Dirk, Boozer, Pau etc), but he could make life a living hell for the charmin-soft jump-shooting bigs that seem to be proliferating around the league (rashard lewis, barngani, channing frye, etc) with his strength and quickness. His versatility, combined with his willingness to work, makes him an ideal situational bench player.

4. He's statistically eviscerating the rest of the D league--Admittedly, this is a small sample size (9 games) but the numbers are still shockingly impressive:

-The stat that really jumps out: Despite taking 18 shots a game (including 3 3 pointers), and very obviously being the first option on RGV (scoring 26 ppg, 3rd most in the D league), he is shooting :eek: 57.8% :eek: from the field.

I don't care if it is the D league. He is playing against paid professionals-- within shouting distance of their lifelong NBA dreams-- who know the Mike Harris is going to shoot the ball the plurality of times down the court, and he still hits damn near 60%...that's seriously impressive.

-He's hitting about 35% from 3 on the year...which would put him 3rd on the Rockets (behind only brooks and battier). His accuracy from 3 has been on an upward trend--2 years ago in china, 24%. Last year, 33%. Now, 35%. He obviously knows that a good 3 point shot could get him to the NBA, and he's clearly been working on it.

-Also, despite being a volume scorer, Mike is averaging only 2 turnovers per game. As a point of comparison, Joey Dorsey is averaging 3.7...despite taking less than half as many shots as Harris.

-Oh, Mike is also 2nd on RGV in rebounds (7.5 per game, 3 of those being offensive boards).

--He also averaged something like 31 points and 15 rbs with 61% shooting during his season in china, for whatever that's worth.

5. Provides Adelman with more usable bench options--The Rockets have 14 players on their roster right now. One of those, Yao, is out for the season. Another, Dorsey, is indefinately relegated to the D league until he figures out how to catch the ball and defend without fouling. So that puts us down to 12 players. Of those 12, one (tracy) has his minutes radically limited as part of his rehabilitation, one (buddinger) is out for almost a month with a painful injury that aggravates easily, and one (Jermaine Taylor) is so far away from being ready that his coach would rather play Ariza 47 minutes than let him smell the court. Then there's Brian Cook, who is so useless we probably couldn't trade him for a can of baked beans.

That gives us only 8 players that are fully usable...if you count Landry, who is playing despite the fact that his face basically exploded 3 days ago. This seriously mitigates our ability to tailor matchups and lineups to our opposition or adjust for off-nights and foul trouble from our own players. We lack both options and a margin for error. This lack of bodies also forces certain players to play extra-long minutes, like Ariza's 47 on saturday. If our legs are dead at the end of a road trip, or at the end of the season, because certain guys had to log too many minutes, we will lose games we would otherwise win. You can't play all-hustle up-tempo on dead legs--Ariza's five- straight-foul-shot-failure-festival during his 47 minute stint is acute evidence of this. Rick is a brilliant coach, but a even a chess master can't win without pawns.

6. The price is right-- Minimum deal. 750k, pro-rated to account for the quarter of the season that has already passed. If we have 3 million dollars to spend on the draft rights to Sergio Llul, we sure as hell have 500k to pay Mike Harris.

The reality check/what Morey is probably thinking-- Morey mentioned that we would have called up Mike Harris were Landry unavailable for upcoming games, which means this move is certainly on his mind. I think Morey likes having the open roster spot in case we need to take on more players then we send out in any potential trade that we make. The open spot also enables us to be a trade facilitator (moving random contracts to make the money work as part of a three way deal), which is a way Morey can farm cash and draft picks. If the trade deadline comes and goes without any major action, I expect to see Harris in Rockets Red the next day.

The only possible downside to this plan is that another team could scoop up Harris before we get a chance to, which would be tragic given his Houston ties and knowledge of our system.

I know this is an intensely long post, but it's something that's been on my mind, and I feel as though it at least warrants further discussion. So...discuss! :grin:

6 people like this.
  2. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

FIrst of all, well done with your evaluation of mike harris, it was a great read. I would love him to come and play for the rockets, but when chase and Tmacs minutes come back, what happens?

3. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Ive always liked Mike. What a beast.. ts just too bad that we are aleday packed at the SF position @_@

4. Htown57

Htown57 Member

In that world, there's still room for him as a situational bench player. Adelman likes playing guys according to matchups, and having harris on the bench would give him another arrow in his quiver. He could also probably find minutes at the 4, where him running the court, crashing the boards, and shooting 3s would make him a holy terror with the 2nd unit. He also provides insurance if somebody gets ejected, hurt, in foul trouble or is playing poorly.

And if he doesn't get a lot of minutes after guys get healthy, it's not the end of the world..we're not paying him a lot, and he's so happy to be in the nba that he keeps our guys sharp by working his ass off in practice. The only real downside to signing him, imo, is limiting our future roster flexibility.

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Put no stock into D-league stats whatsoever. James White scored 23ppg last year on 55% shooting, 35% from downtown. He was also supposed to be a good defender and incredibly athletic. Now he can't even stick on a roster. Courtney Sims was putting up 23/11/2 bpg on 60% shooting and also turned out to be nothing.

D-league stats are about as impressive as CBA stats.

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Morey wants to keep a roster spot open for some reason..

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I dont mind the Mike Harris type player. A thicker, slower Cedric Ceballos type (to those who remember, blind fold dunk guy) who you dont really have to call any plays for. He'll roam around off the ball finding scoring angles and keep dumping the ball through the rim at a highly efficient rate. You look up and he's in double figures with 5 for 8 shooting just off garbage points.

Its still about who he'd guard on defense.

8. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

flexibility in the event that a trade goes down we can take in more players then those being sent out.

9. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

He's the wing version of Chuck Hayes

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mike is not only a good hustle player, he apparently also writes well.

Nice post, Mike.

11. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I wish the fans could vote players on teams like in the all-star game. He'd be playing and Cook wouldn't. It's not the case that the best players are in the NBA, there is a lot of dead wood on guaranteed contracts.

12. eman

eman Contributing Member

Did Mike get his degree from Rice?

13. lmaballa

lmaballa Rookie

haha!

14. HPD

HPD Member

Another undersized pf. Too slow to guard the 3's. Too short to guard 4's. He's a tweener

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Nice post there Htown

I really liked Mike Harris when he was on the team previously. I think at this point, Daryl doesn't want to bring him up unless he absolutely needs to.

I do think he has improved immensely as a SF, which is what he had to do because we have such a solid PF rotation.

The question is.. could you put Mike, DA and Carl on the floor at the same time? Or Mike Chuck and Luis?

I'm just trying to figure out if he would fit in the rotations.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am DD, and I approve this post.

;)

DD

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Harris was one of my favorite players to watch during his last run with the Rockets, and I'd love to see him back. Still, I'll trust DM's judgment; I have no doubt he knows EXACTLY what Harris is up to.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What's the CBA? :grin:

Rocket River
    I think it is something that was flushed down Isiah Thomas's toilet.

19. cdastros

cdastros Member

Mike Harris is not in the NBA because he can't defend a position. SF drive by him like he is standing in cement, and PF easily post him up.

20. s3ts

s3ts Member

There really should be a very good reason why Morey isn't utilizing a roster spot.

We have many players (or optional ones) that hustle and haul ass, but they are not talented enough to be considered superstars or freaks of nature that put up unnatural numbers. Yao Ming and TMac are superstars, but they're both fighting injuries and we're making due with that.