1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mike Conley Story -> Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AndySwanny, May 14, 2013.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Mike Conley was an underwhelming PG a few years ago, but Memphis showed faith in him that no one else did, and they signed him to a 5 year/$40 million deal in 2010 and shipped out his primary competition at PG, Kyle Lowry, who had been playing pretty well and was a fan favorite. At the time everyone said it was ridiculous, and that he was grossly overpaid. In 2010-2011 his stats looked like this:
    PPG: 13.7 ___ FG%: .444 ___ 3PT%: .369 ___ FT%: .733 ___ RPG: 3.0 ___ APG: 6.5 ___ SPG: 1.8 ___ TOPG: 2.2

Now Conley is playing near an All-Star level and has been one of the top PGs in the league. He said that the motivation from everyone doubting his contract made him work that much harder to improve. Now he is a playing with so much confidence, and it's showing in these playoffs. He held his own for the most part with Chris Paul, the best PG in the league, and now he is giving OKC fits.

Now, how does this relate to Jeremy Lin? Remember Conley's stats that contract year? Now look at Jeremy's from this year:
    PPG: 13.4 ___ FG%: .441 ___ 3PT%: .339 ___ FT%: .785 ___ RPG: 3.0 ___ APG: 6.1 ___ SPG: 1.6 ___ TOPG: 2.9

Those are really pretty close, and their advanced stats have a lot of similarities as well. Lin is a hard-working guy, and I really think he has the potential to pull a Conley type move and eventually be playing at a borderline All-Star level like Conley is now. If you heard his exit interview, he clearly knows that he needs to get better, and he sounded genuinely motivated to do so. Lin is extremely quick like Conley, but he still has a hard time understanding how to really defend guys well. especially on-on-one. Conley added that to his game this year, and his DWS jumped from 2.8 to 4.8, which is incredible.

It's pretty likely that Jeremy will still be here next season, and just from comparing these guys, I have a pretty hard time ruling Lin out because I can see him making the same kind of improvements Conley has. Just by doing some hard work over the summer to improve his defense and 3 point shooting, we could see a much better player next year. I'm not the biggest fan of Jeremy as a player, but I definitely see the potential there and hopefully he will find a way to reach it. #RedNation

Advanced Stats here for comparison: (2010/11 was the season Conley signed his contract)
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01.html
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/conlemi01.html

3 people like this.
  2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I know he's playing well, but in the west, Curry is your 4th best pg, and he's nowhere near all star tier.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I would love to see Jeremy succeed in a Rockets uniform.

4. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

cool, Conley is better

end thread/

6. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Yeah, I just mean that playing he's near an All-Star level in general. It doesn't really have anything to do with other players, just his individual performance.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Lin sucks ass

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

So Jeremy should be p****** about his contract? Jeremy should ask for 5/40 in a couple of years... and Les should sign it!

9. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Also, if you're going to come on here and bash a player, who is a Houston Rocket mind you, then GTFO please. I'm trying to bring an optimistic viewpoint to a player who will be here next season with about 95% certainty so be a real Rockets fan and don't just bash our players for the sake of complaining.

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

But Conley is black, like many NBA players.

like ive said before, the only reason Lins story is as big, is because he's asian and a minority in the NBA. If Lin wasnt asian nobody would care for his story.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yea I agree with the posters above Lin sucks ass. Conley was scouted for this talent which is why he was a lotto pick.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

13. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

Maybe people will stop being so antagonistic to their own team PG if threads stop being made about him, especially when nothing of importance is going on right now regarding Lin and the team imo.

14. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Yeah, that's my bad. There have been so many Lin threads. It doesn't really matter if there isn't anything going on, though. The point of the site is to discuss the Rockets, and this is discussing the Rockets. (and comparing it to current NBA events from around the league)

15. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Yeah, it doesn't matter if nothing is going on, we need a daily Lin thread. A new Lin thread a day keep the doctor away.:grin:

16. awc713

awc713 Member

good thread imo, however, a lot of players have the will that conley and hopefully lin possess.

whether that will turns into actual improvement is another story...lots of players try to get better and just flat out dont succeed.

with that said, the glass has got to be full for lin. he's only 24, and this is the first full year under his belt. i've been a huge critic of lin, but he definitely possesses conley's same will to go above and beyond...

rockets fans just have to be...wait for it...patient.

17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Lin is a joke.

Thats why he went undrafted.

He's basically forced to play starting PG and gets a contract, he is a role player at best.

18. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Lin dribbles into the stupidest spots

19. acjeitherocket

i rather have Reggie Jackson (okc) than Lin

20. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

From looking at the stats of PGs like Nash, CP3, Tony Parker... etc.

Point Guards take years to develop because (IMO) its the hardest of all the roles to master. But its worth developing because once you have a masterful point guard on your team, everyone gets better.