1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mexico City screw job.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 21, 2016.

1. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

I don't love blaming the refs either and O'Brien was unbelievable bad last night but those two late 4th quarter spots were blatantly incorrect. It was not "close".

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Do we have NFL comments on the referees yet?

I don't really care that much about the Hopkins play because it wasn't reviewable. Of course they should have let him play it out and then review but that would make too much sense. As to the screenshot, we do not "know" that the heel was down. It is definitively more probable that his heel is off the ground.

The double missed first downs pisses me off so much more simply because they had the chance to correct it and didn't. Doesn't it seem kind of stupid to often be a game of inches but downs are more often than not based on judgement calls by officials? "Well I think the ball was downed somewhere around here." Nonsense. That aside, he unquestionably gets the first down on video review. No grey area. And they miss it. What's the explanation?

On top of that Obrien makes decisions like a high school coach. I'm more and more convinced that he is not qualified to be leading an NFL team.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only comment I've heard is that they came out and said that they got the Hopkins call 100% correct. They were correct to blow it dead and according to them Hopkins was absolutely out of bounds.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The refs were part of the reason we lost the game. We could have won regardless of the calls that went against us but to say they had no effect would be wrong. It's not as easy as good teams overcome bad calls. The first down fiasco was a major game changer.

The Hopkins call isn't obvious. The first down is as clear cut as can be. It's not remotely close and it's plainly obvious that he made it past the marker. That's why people are mad.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Thanks. NFL is always right.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I NEVER blame refs for a loss, but those 2 spots were absolutely ridiculous. Had that ball been spotted correctly, a measurement wouldn't have even been necessary. That's how not close it was.

When we challenged the 4th down spot, I thought for sure they would get it right. I even fast forwarded my DVR to get to our next offensive play....until I saw the raiders D running off the field. Those refs looked like the keystone cops trying to spot that ball and get a measurement.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

8. HstnSprtsFan101

I have never seen a screw job that bad. It was too obvious. The refs obviously had a motive, that many calls don't get missed by accident. This is going to take a while to get over. I though Brock played well, not great but he put is in position to win. I think he will be ok. Hopefully he keeps making strides forward. The laser **** should never happen in a professional sporting event. Unbelievable. Clowney is an absolute beast. Can't wait for Watt to return. BOB & Godsey have got to go. They're just simply overmatched.

9. HstnSprtsFan101

I have never seen anything like it. This isn't a normal routine is it?

10. alethios

alethios Member

It just seemed odd at the time but now it makes sense.

11. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I work with a bunch of cowboys fans that **** on the Texans every chance they get. This morning when I went to work I could hear them talking about how the Texans got ****ed hard last night. Made me start thinking it's not just us that noticed this. Then I log on the ole Facebook and see a video of the refs high fiving them!? Is this the wwe!?

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

All I know is if this had been the Patriots or hell any number of other teams it would be top story instead of a non issue. That is why it pisses me off that even our own guys won't stand up and defend the team.

#112 mick fry, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Rocket River likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mike Perira, head of officiating about to be on 790 if anyone wants to listen.

14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

This game has sat really bad... one of our worst losses ever in my opinion, and we've had some ridiculous losses. Just the most blatantly ref-decided game I've see in a while.

I do love how much the public has gotten on the NFL for that ****-show last night though. My TL (mostly non-Houston fans) were ripping the refs, the NFL, and Goodall to shreds. When will the NFL realize people want a GOOD ****ing product. Not the NFL influencing calls in favor of the latest circle jerk team.

15. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Does anyone else member when Vince Young dapped up the ref after kneeling out the clock on a Monday Night Football game? Oh I member!

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

But then you have to listen to Innes who is a complete moron and would love to agree with anything anti Texans.

cdrive likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mike Perira on 790 said if Texans challenged it on 3rd down, they would have overturned it

18. Buck Turgidson

That is hilarious. Thanks, BOB.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way anyone can know that. They didn't overturn it on 4th down despite obvious evidence that it was a first down, you can't assume they'd do their job on 3rd down.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

That's what I'd have said too.