1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The media is character assasinating James Harden because they dont want him to tie Steph in MVP's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stepback3GOOD, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Rocketsfan3422

Naw your good my friend, not going to get offended from a post online...but to your point, How do you know that we would score less points? Im not asking to change our playstyle overnight. But moving forward we should think about players who play into offensive systems with movement then just getting players who can shoot, or just D. I personally dont see James ever being in a system built with him moving, it may be a challenge

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I don't know if there is any truth about the silver/nba and visiting the white house but honestly i don't think anyone should just immediately dismiss it. Personally I felt the NBA wanted a Warriors/Cavs for the ratings since more of the general population would watch that. Dynasties bring in ratings and with GS moving to the new arena in SF having them move with a real dynasty would be a huge deal for the NBA.

That out of the way I dont really think the media wants Steph to have more MVPs than Harden. I do think that if Harden does win a second MVP then thats admitting in a way he is better than the following winners in the last 20 years:

Durant,Kobe, Dirk, Shaq,Iverson, Garnett

If he wins 2 in a row that would put him in even rarer company of:

Curry, LeBron, Nash, Duncan, Magic, Jordan, Bird, Moses, Kareem, Wilt, Russell as the players to win back to back MVPs.

I think most media people refuse to put Harden in that company you already see how Nash's career is diminished by a lot of the media since he never won a ring. Harden would be the 2nd player to never have won a ring on that list (that is if he wins MVP this season but not a championship) and would be one of 4 players (Nash of course, and Kareem, Magic) to not have won a championship in at least one of the years of their back to back MVPs, but both Kareem and Magic had won championships and MVP in the same season prior to their back to back MVP years though it would really just be Harden and Nash at that point.

If we're going to measure a players "upper elite top 10-15 all time tier" status then Harden falls quite short compared to the other back to back winners outside of Nash.

3. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

So what you’re saying is your not a rockets fan?

Stepback3GOOD and Dankstronaut like this.
  4. Rocketsfan3422

? bruh, ive been a fan over 20 years. It gets to a point where you have to have an intervention. Rockets wont win a championship this way...sorry. Iso hero ball wont work. Im a basketball fan first, rockets fan second.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This bringing politics to the GARM is just ridiculous

Rocket River

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

iso hero ball won't work. that's not some huge revelation. by all accounts harden knows that. now that the team is healthy, that will gradually drift back to what the rockets were during their run a year ago or whatever rhythm works for this specific team

iso ball does work however. and that's been proven. that's how cleveland beat GS and that's how hou had GS on the brink of elimination before cp3 went down. There's a distinct different between the two.

The average person considers them comparable and the same thing. It isn't

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess I found 10 posters who have the attention span of an ant because 10 posters actually liked this garbage and I know they didn’t actually read it LMAO

This place sucks now

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well nobody can know for sure, but there are a lot of clues that show the way we run our offense is the best possible way for our team/roster. We know that the Rockets are at the forefront of analytics and data tracking, and we know that Harden/CP3 isolation plays are among the best in the league, Harden specifically is the best iso player since this stat was recorded (back to early 2000s). Our offense in the past three years has been 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in the league. All three have been top 15 offenses of all time. If you look at the roster and then look at the results, in my opinion we are pretty clearly outperforming our roster, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. We have possessions where we pass the ball a lot, where people move around, where other players dribble and drive, and they really aren't all that successful. If they were more successful I think we would see them a lot more.

I think it's fair to suggest that players don't like playing in our offense, maybe they become disinterested watching James dribble for 20 seconds and shoot it while they stand still, maybe they don't play as hard (Eric Gordon isn't having fun, etc). So you could argue that there are other benefits to changing our offense. But I don't think it would increase our efficiency.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I want to preface this by saying I know it may sound snarky, but that's only because I mean it to be kinda snarky. ;)

So you've watched 2 out of 57 games and you can proclaim them to be "boring" and "dribble, dribble, iso, iso, shot clock violation."

I've seen all 57 games (that's 100%, as compared to the 3.5% you've seen) and definitely don't share that opinion. They can be frustrating at times, but it's rarely because of Harden. Other guys not making shots, the entire team slacking on defense, giving up big leads, etc.

But Harden boring? Nah. Harden is a f^%king madman, toying with every conceivable aspect of the game in order to gain an advantage. That "dribble, dribble" is patiently waiting for an opportunity to pounce.

You really should watch your team more.

10. Rocketsfan3422

I watch highlights, winning > hardens records

11. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Exactly. Just like I said, you’re not a rockets fan. You obviously bounce around between whatever is popular.

12. Rocketsfan3422

Damn bro you know so much about me from a couple of posts...

13. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Anyone that says they can just not watch games isn’t a very good sports fan.

14. Rocketsfan3422

I can say the rockets are boring to watch and still be a fan of the rockets. You guys....smh...

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

There is not a shred of objectivity left in the "media" on any subject. Remember the "editorial page?" Well, now it is ALL an editorial page.

slothy420 likes this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

a political conspiracy thread :eek::eek::eek:

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

My girlfriend doesn't like James Harden's beard. She said that. He just looks wrong to her.
    I think James Harden looks a little scary to some people. And Steph Curry does not. I think there is some deep hidden gut feeling there, about darkness, with the beard just exacerbating it. Blackness is a thing! I'm not black, but I feel pretty confident in saying your skin tone, among other things, makes a difference in how people receive you.
    White guys, too, look much more dramatic and masculine with big beards. For every 6'5 guy of James Harden's complexion, with a huge beard, there are some people who deep in their guts are a little afraid, I'm sure.
    Physical appearance is a factor for all the players. I think Steph Curry totally benefits in this category, while James Harden (and some others) do not.

P.S. People comparing Draymond Green to an animal are rude at best and quite possibly racist.

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Well to be fair there were many in the media who also called Russ a stat chaser. I think that if the votes were tallied today, many would vote for Harden, but the cases for Giannis and now PG are admittedly pretty compelling.

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Pippen is such a beta loser. Harden would definitely dump 40-50 on his head if he were playing today no doubt

clutchdabear likes this.