1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The media agenda regarding James Harden's "defense"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Mar 7, 2016.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

just doing the same thing you were doing :cool:

and I don't care about the outcome. That's not what im talking about here. the effort is what im looking at.

2. rocketshopeful

yes i think you missed the point. I am not arguing James is even an average defender. but the media Agenda cited in the OP is just that now when Harden posts a game like he did and all they can cite is that one play.

cherry picking. So my Curry posts mock that. You citing Curry defensive stops just adds to the mockery so in a way I should thank you.

Curry is prob at average or below average too and he has effort issues.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Bumping images down.

DD

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yes, it's good defense - in the same way that it's "good defense" as letting a guy get a quick/barely contested/whatever you do don't foul 2 when you're up by 3 points late in the game.

It's a strategic choice - one that paid off for the Rockets, because this is how hte game went after that.
    HTML:
    Brewer Pullup Jump shot: Missed 	02:21	 
     	02:20	Lowry Rebound (Off:1 Def:3) 
    Howard Foul: Shooting (6 PF) (2 FTA) (J Phillips) 	02:08	 
    Howard Substitution replaced by Capela 	02:08	 
     	02:08	DeRozan Free Throw 1 of 2 Missed 
     	02:08	Team Rebound 
     	02:08 
    [TOR 105-104]	DeRozan Free Throw 2 of 2 (19 PTS) 
    Harden 3pt Shot: Made (37 PTS) 	01:47 
    [HOU 107-105]	 
     	01:30	Lowry Driving Layup Shot: Missed Block: Capela (1 BLK) 
    Harden Rebound (Off:0 Def:5) 	01:29	 
     	01:18	Patterson Foul: Shooting (2 PF) (2 FTA) (J Phillips) 
    Harden Free Throw 1 of 2 (38 PTS) 	01:18 
    [HOU 108-105]	 
    Harden Free Throw 2 of 2 (39 PTS) 	01:18 
    [HOU 109-105]	 
    Maybe you didn't notice that, because you were too busy monitoring Steph's defensive effort. :) But the Rockets actually won on Sunday. Mostly because harden brought them back, and he slammed the door in the final minute.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're quick to also assume he would have to pick up a foul to play good defense during that play.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering that the result of the play was a two-shot foul on Beverley it's not exactly far-fetched.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It's about minimizing risk.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, Harden sure did minimize the risk then. :grin:

9. rocketshopeful

true, but it works both ways. Yolo is also factoring in risk when determining the likelihood of james harden fouling out with the time remaining on the clock.

For Harden's history or even the guard position in general, I don't think its ridiculous to think that his foul out chances were still pretty low.

However, still better to be safe because you wouldn't want to be going to overtime with that 5th foul which was still in play given it was what? 2 point game?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think just putting a hand up would of resulted a foul

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Come on guys asking Harden to try to play defense is exhausting, he should just stand at mid court while his nails dry and focus on offense.

DD

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with YOLO on this one.

13. rocketshopeful

JB is going to get flamed for this (not me, I am just the messenger ;) ). Would be good to rewatch the game objectively and see if harden actually did any of those things

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?t=a12227476d438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

"He's intelligent enough defensively to keep himself in the right positions early. One of the things he didn't do is give in defensively just to not pick up fouls. He continued to battle. We went to small lineups so he was guardinng bigger guys all night long. He was boxing out on the weak side. He continued to be physical, but he was intelligent so he didn't pick up those fouls."

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah this is true when you have players who don't know how to play defense without fouling.

1 person likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You don't, but can you imagine a scenario where he puts his hands up and a player runs into them and a foul is called? Do you know of any players in the NBA that are great at drawing fouls like that? ;)

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not going to argue that one. This team isn't great on the basics. No Shane Battier's here.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

MAN, do we need one of those.....

DD

18. thaGREATwall

thaGREATwall Member

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wonder how much distance Curry runs in a game compared to Harden. Curry might not handle the ball for as long as Harden, but he runs without the ball, unlike Harden who usually just stand there when the ball is not in his hand.

I don't know the answer of this question. I know there are data somewhere.

BTW, I believe LeBron, in his first Cleveland stint, was asked to shoulder at least as much offense as Harden do. Same can be said about Iverson in his Philly days.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I don't want to hear anything about Harden shouldering the load, we brought in Lawson to help and Harden still wouldn't give up the rock.

DD