1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The Market votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 5, 2008.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least that's accurate. And I'm not offended.

It is a fact that Prop 8 passed. And it is a fact that the market dropped. The reason your ass is hanging in the wind is the wingtard analysis that diverts responsibility for Prop 8 from the Republicans who were pushing it and that proposes a drop in the stock market, during the most tumultous market in a generation, as a referendum on Obama's election.

#41 gifford1967, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

when would the increase kick in though? not for another 6 months right?

so these smart investors basically sold even they know it wasn't wise to do it just to protest obama's election?

3. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Yes, Obama is responsible for the new figures on lack of consumer spending and jobless claims. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hear the prices of tin foil are dropping basso... it's about time to make that hat.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I do know this. I'm a tax accountant, so I fair to say I know a lot about the tax code. Many people still have long-term capital gains if they have stock older than 2002.

5. juicystream

Anything sold after January 1st is up for the new taxation by Obama. Tax law is often written retroactively. Congress may or may not pass it that way.

The recession is not likely to end anytime soon. There has been a lot of talk about what to do to avoid tax increases. Also don't forget that many people believe Obama will raise taxes on them, even though he has promised not to.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Basso, I know you're a smart person, but it is also rather abundantly clear that you know little of the financial markets or how they work. You're one of those people that sees a news headline that says something like "Wells Fargo profit drops 35%" and then wonders why the stock jumped 8% on the news.

I'll try to explain this in a simple way. If you'll take a minute to read through the last few pages of the investing thread in Hangout, you'll notice that a few of us were already expecting and calling for a market correction this week even long before the election happened. The major indexes gained more than 10% last week, and all indicators pointed to an overbought market. This is what is called volatility, and is a major characteristic of bear markets. Another characteristic of the financial markets in general is that they are forward looking, and contrary to what many people like you think, they are often as prescient as they are reactionary. What this means is that often by the time you're just hearing the news, the market has already priced it in. This was clearly true in the case of Obama's presidency, whose certainty was all but assured as early as a week ago. There was much talk of an Obama rally, but the smart money knew that the feel-good rally would end once the election was over and we returned to the real world of a massive economic recession.

So hopefully now you understand a bit better why the markets are down in the past couple of days.

7. langal

langal Contributing Member

Market drop is probably more coincidental than anything else.

The way it is right now, it probably would have dropped by a similar margin if Obama lost.

8. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

That's cute. You're talking to him like he'll understand or even care.

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Is this not offensive to anyone else?

I've only been in the D&D for a couple of days so I may be missing something, help me understand.

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so selling the day after obama wins does not really have anything to do with him right?

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why wait? Basso is not a Republican, he is an independent who is more extreme than the wingnuts.

14. juicystream

It probably effected the market, but to what degree, nobody knows. I wouldn't be shocked if we see somewhat of a selloff at the end of the year.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Down another 450 today. Obama sure is inspiring confidence in the financial markets! Change, baby, change!!

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

From despair to insanity in what, 36 hours?

Impressive.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

change

to where we were two weeks ago. i guess all the bad economic news driving the market down back to where it was two weeks ago is a result of obama's presidency.

18. rocket3forlife2

You agree with him that I lied on fox news (lol)????

Like I said you have some of those who are trying to pin it on Obama and you have those who are dismissing it.

Thank god for Shep Smith on that channel, but the others are a complete joke.

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

That's in reference to Kanye West saying George Bush hates black people.

20. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

By the way, CNN is showing pictures of Obama with the DOW numbers on the screen. Are they blaming it on him, too?