1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "mario williams.... I love that guy" thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by conquistador#11, Aug 7, 2008.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You dance and run backward almost as much as Reggie Bush.

#81 The Cat, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. msn

msn Member

I think he's less than Kevin Faulk. And at the end of the year, I'll be right, or I'll happily eat my crow.

Kevin Faulk will put up better numbers than Reggie Bust this year.

The turd my dog dropped last night will be in competition until at least week 5.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm in no way a Bush fan but I think he'll have a good year. First, Deuce will be back to share the load, not sure if he'll be a 100% but anything is better than nothing. Second, I think Shockey will do wonders for what is already a pretty good offense.

I'm really excited about this year because I want to see what type of season the big 3 will have.

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I'll take this bet. And in honor of the D&D, T_J and SamFisher, the loser has to not post for 2 months and change their signature to that of the winner's request and send $20 to the winner via Paypal.

I'll take this bet with anyone on this board who wants to take it. If either player gets injured and misses more than 1 game, then the bet is off.

5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

So a #2 overall pick needs another running back to do half the work load for him? Sounds like a bust to me

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Bush and Young are Mariowned.

Way to go against the gain Houston by picking Mario at #1. By passing on the SI covergirl and the hometown stud with the funky release
    the Texans got themselves one the most, if not the most dominating defensive linemen in the NFL. Mario Willams is a star while Bush and Young will be ongoing projects.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Cat, come on now. We all make bad predictions. I remember you liked that awesome Jason Jennings trade. And you repeatedly said Bucholz was garbage.

8. The Cat

First of all, I'll quote myself.

Of course we all make bad predictions. There's nothing wrong with it. Where there's something wrong with it is when all the evidence is against you after the fact, yet you take an arrogant tone and claim you "pwned" the other person. There's two ways to handle it, really. You can do what jgreen91 did in this thread, or do what jopatmc did in the "I was wrong" thread. The latter is preferable.

Second, you still don't get the Buchholz thing. First of all, I wasn't predicting he would be garbage -- I was making an analysis of him at the time. (There's also the fact that all analysis of Buchholz at the time, good and bad, was in the context of him being a starter. Of course there was always a chance he could become a good reliever -- crap starters become dominant relievers on a regular basis. That's baseball.) Second, comparing Taylor Buchholz and Reggie Bush isn't close to reasonable. With Buchholz, you're dealing with 54 innings -- approximately 2/3 of one season of evidence. With Bush, you're talking about two full seasons. Sample sizes are very, very different there when it comes to drawing longer-term conclusions.

#88 The Cat, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  9. tulexan

tulexan Member

Not that I'm interested in this bet at all, but one of the knocks against Bush is that he can't carry the load, so an injury shouldn't void the bet.

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

To be fair, The Cat was paid to like the Jason Jennings trade.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The days of the NFL every down back are gone, we've been seeing the dual RB system for a couple years now and I think we'll be seeing it for a while. When Deuce went out, Reggie was forced to run between the tackles and that's not his game (which is the main reason why I did not want to draft him). But that does not necessarily mean he is a bust.

I think the people calling Bush a bust after his sophomore year are just as dumb as the guys that called Mario a bust after his rookie year. If anything, us Texans fans should know that a single season does not make or break a career.

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Well, Bush has certainly come a long way. From the once in a decade game-revolutionizing back who was a guaranteed hall-of-famer to the ... "a single season of sucking .. err, two full seasons of absolute suckage ... I mean ... do not break a career" guy.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't wait to spank them on Saturday.

I say he takes down Bush a couple of times for loss of yardage.

14. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I don't care for any of them, but I'd be more worried about team accomplishments than single and VY has been to the playoffs two years in a row and Bush has been to the NFC title game. This is the big year for VY; year three. Remember he started as a rooke. How many rookies come in and domniate? It's tough. So you can't say a VY is a bust. Hold off before y'all crown stars and busts. What's the rush?

15. The Cat

Um, the Titans have made the playoffs once under VY, not twice. (And in the game they had to win to make the postseason, it was Collins playing a majority of the snaps.)

Anyway, though, good point. It's all about the success of teams of 50+ players and coaches when you're measuring individuals. That must mean that Rex Grossman > Vince Young and Kevin Faulk > Reggie Bush; since after all, those two guys have taken their teams to Super Bowls in the time that VY and Bush have been in the league.

16. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough. Then again, maybe he was just "making an analysis of him at the time."

The context of the conversation was a trade, where future value is considered. It wasn't analysis of him at the time, it was an analysis of his value in a trade, which is inherently about the future.

No one is comparing those two.

17. The Cat

Nice try. Let's examine the quotes again.

Note the use of future tense, which clearly indicates that it's not at the time.

To you, maybe. To me, the entire discussion (remember, most of this wasn't when the trade took place, this was around April and May of the next season, generally) was centered around judging it by the available results at the time.

By extension, you are. You're comparing jgreen91 being wrong about Bush to me being wrong about Buchholz. Putting aside the issue of present/future tense, there's a lot more evidence against him, which is why he's getting the heat. You're talking about 2/3 of a season of evidence vs. two full seasons. Get back to me in 12 months, and if Buchholz is still doing what he's doing now, then it'll be a similar principle.

18. Mr. Clutch

Well, at the time it looked like Bush was going to be good.

To me, the main discussion about him was in the context of the trade. It makes no sense to talk about a trade based only on past results. Of course you judge from "the available results at the time" just like jgreen did with Reggie Bush. That doesnt mean you will judge right.

I was just saying predictions can be wrong, not that your prediction was worse or had less supporting evidence.

19. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

can someone post a link for the game tonight PLEEEEAAASSSSEEEE.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mario has every tool to be one of the greatest defensive ends ever, he's tall, he's muscular yet lean, great upper body strength etc. if god wanted to build a perfect body for the position, he'd build mario.

if he wanted to build a perfect running back, it wouldn't be bush