1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Many Weapons of Chandler Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Dec 23, 2013.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

As I was watching the CP25 highlights against the Pistons it dawned on me that Chandler, who scored 20 points, never scored the same way twice. I’m not just talking about hitting the 3 point shots from different spots along the arc, I’m talking about completely different shots from different points on the floor and utilizing his teammates in different ways for each shot.

Many on this board undervalue Chandler so much it’s just shocking. Chandler is the complete player on offense and a solid defender. Opposing teams can’t just close out on Chandler at the 3 point line because he can put the ball on the court and go by you. He can’t be left unguarded when he does not have the ball or he will end up leaving you at the baseline and finishing with an easy bucket in the paint. You can’t sag off of him at the arc or he will kill you with the 3 ball. Even when his shots are contested either out on the floor or in the paint by elite shot blockers, Chandler has an wide arsenal of Weapons he can use to put the ball in the basket.

The Swoop Shot
    Switching Shooting Hands in Mid Air
    Pump Fake
    3 point shot
    Pick and Roll
    etc….

Add to the fact that CP25 is such a good distributer with the ball and he really is a weapon. I think it’s rare to find someone who has accepted his spot on the team as a role player but has the weapons of a legit star.

0:08 Chandler takes a pass at mid court, leads the fast break, eurosteps around Brandon Jennings and finishes a contested lay-up over Josh Smith. He was also fouled by Smith for the and 1,

0:32 Chandler moving with out the ball in a half court set takes a pass off of the left wing at the 3 point arc, blows past Josh Smith who was attempting to guard him and finishes a driving right handed lay-up around Greg Monroe.

0:42 second mark Chandler receives a pass from Garcia and nails a wide open corner 3.

0:49 second mark Chandler takes a pass from Aaron Brooks on the left wing 3 point arc, Rodney Stuckey closes out on the play but Chandler pump fakes and drives the ball into the paint where he is met by Jonas Jerebko trying to block the shot. Chandler holds the ball high in the air with his right hand as he is in the air and he sweeps the ball in a wide arc to avoid Jerebko’s block attempt and completes the swoop shot for two points in Dr J fashion. This was the shot that had the Detroit commentators gushing over Chandler and comparing him to Connie Hawkins.

0:57 second mark Chandler receives a pass just inside the 3 point arc on the right wing from Terrence Jones with Will Bynum all over him. Chandler rises up and drains the long range 2 ball over the top of Bynum.

1:07 mark Chandler has the ball above the arc on the right wing and is being guarded by Rodney Stuckey. Stuckey has backed off of Chandler to prevent Chandler from driving by him. Chandler uses a pick set be Terrence Jones to go by Stuckey and get to about 15 feet from the basket and stops and pops the mid range 2 point buzzer beating shot at the end of the 3rd quarter.

1:20 second mark Chandler moving with out the ball gets past Stuckey on the right baseline, receives a pass under the basket from Omri Casspi who has the ball behind the arc at the left wing. Chandler makes the contested reverse lay-up with Stuckey all over his back.

1:30 second mark Dwight has the ball on the right post. Chandler is at the top of the arc on the left wing. Kyle Singler is responsible for Chandler but he is sagging way off anticipating helping on Dwight if he makes a move to the basket. Dwight makes his move and Singler dives into the paint to double leaving an open lane to the basket for Chandler. Dwight passes to Chandler who takes the ball straight to the basket with out ever putting it back on the court. Stuckey who was responsible for Garcia tried to close out on Chandler but was too late as was Singler who also tried to get back but was too late. Drummond however was in perfect position to block Chandler’s shot but Chandler switched from his right hand to his left hand in mid air (shades of Michael Jordan) with Drummond going for the block Chandler makes what was really a very difficult shot look exceptionally easy. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ukr0Z66iXKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

yea Parsons is better looking Turkoglu

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I like Parsons, but I think you pushing it a bit to say every shot is different. I can see 3 types:
    1. He's great beyond the arc
    2. He can get in the lane and finish off around the basket
    3. Not often, but he is capable to hit that running floater if it's too crowded under the basket

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He is definitely very versatile. Hubie Brown was extremely complimentary towards him in 2 recent nationally televised games.

5. crash5179

I don't think I'm pushing it at all, every shot is different and I broke them down. He used different ways to get to the basket (TJ pick while the ball was in his hand, baseline with the ball out of his hand, put the ball on the court and drove by Smith, Eurostep on the fast break, dive into the paint with out the ball receiving a pass from D12 etc... ) and he finished in different ways as well using both hands, switching hands, swoop shot, mid range 2, long range 2 over an opponent, 3point shot etc...

6. crash5179

We have watched him develop over the last 2 and a half years so I think we sometimes take for granted what he does or how good he really is. In his rookie year I was always just hoping he found the right person to pass to (preferably Luis) but now he is a legit offensive weapon with the ball in his hands.

7. Convictedstupid

Parsons ist super sexi.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Please let's quit acting like Parsons is a superstar or even an all star. He is not. He is a very good role player. He is an essential part of the team but he is not a top ten or even a top 25 player in the league. He can't create his own shot. He doesn't play lock down D. And he is not a pure shooter.

He does many things well but nothing great. He is the kind of role player that championship teams need but you don't build a championship team around him. Yes he is one of the greatest values in the league. But it gets old hearing people say who is more valuable, Harden, Howard or Parsons. Morey himself said Lin contributed to more wins than Parsons last year.

I think part of the overhype is because he is just so underpaid that we over value him. But while he is worth much more than what he is paid I could easily think of 25 players I would trade him for. I am all for homerism but let's at least wait till he makes one all star game and averages 20 points for one whole season before we crown him MVP for the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  9. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I think he is very good, but not the type of player to build the team around

10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

My wife would also like to add to the CP arsenal:
    1. sexy
    2. charming
    3. funny

11. nono

nono Member

I cringe every time I see a new Parsons thread in the garm

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is true. Parsons can still develop into that guy though. I like his game a lot turned out to be waaaay better than Chase Budinger.

13. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

You can't really undervalue Parsons by ranking him right after H-H. Of course his contract makes him look extremely cost efficient, but that's what teams get from good young players. He will get paid, by the Rockets, maybe for 8 million a year? I don't know.

He's had his up and downs this season, that's expected from a still growing young player. One improvement I really look forward to seeing from him is post-entry pass. Big shot Bob used to make great post-entry passes, and Shane and TMac used to handle that duty to feed Yao. Parsons has the tools and vision to get Dweight more involved, constantly. It's simply easier and better to feed the post from the wing.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Might not be a pure shooter or play lock down D but he can create his own shot. When Lin's healthy he & Parsons can alternate between being either 3rd option a or b.

I agree that he doesn't crack the top 25, but there's no way you can tell me that Jameer Nelson & Loul Deng were all stars & Chandler cannot be that. I truly believe Parsons is one of the most versatile players in the NBA.

15. crash5179

You say over hype I say undervalue. He does nothing great and is not a pure shooter? Really? He is hitting 52% of his field goals and 42% of his 3 point shots but thats just average right? Wrong.

Personally I'm more interested in what he does no the court while wearing a Rockets uniform and not so much waiting for him to make an all-star team to confirm what I am already seeing with my own eyes.

I don't think anyone is saying Parsons is a super star or even an all star so I don't get where that comment came from. What Parsons is, is an exceptional role player that does in fact put up all-star like numbers.

Parsons is the 2nd highest scorer among Western Conference Small Forwards at 17.1 ppt and easily has the highest F/G% among all WC Small Forwards with at least a 10ppg average. Only KD averages a higher 3pt shooting percentage than CP25 among WC Small Forwards averaging at least 10ppg. He's 3rd in assist for WC Small Forwards at almost 4 a gam and 7 in steals at 1.2 ppg.

You say he can't create his own shot but I have seen him pump fake to get his man in the air or just dribble past his defender to create his own shot on a regular basis. Maybe you think if its not a cross over then it's really not creating your own shot? I say that's BS.

Chandler is not a superstar and he may never make an all-star team but he is sure putting up some great stats while also being a great team player.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I'd like to know who those 25 players are. In the Western Conference, besides Durant, Iguodala, and MAYBE Batum or K. Leonard, there's no other small forward I would rather have to compliment Harden and Howard. He fits in perfectly with this team because of the other things he does exceptionally well besides shoot the ball well and drive.

17. crash5179

I think thats a fair statement.

Batum is the guy that I look at when gaging CP25. I think those two are clearly the best young SF's in the WC not named Durant. KD will easily be on the All-Star team but if the coaches select another SF for the all-star team i would expect it to be either Parsons or Batum (Iggy being hurt and all) and I don't think Batum fans would have a legit gripe if Parsons were selected over him or vise versa.

Kawi Leonard is jut not in Parson's class at this point in his career.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , that's high praise coming from Hubie .... Ive heard JVG make similar comments about The Mad Chicken.

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

So that's 4 guys, only considering one position in half the league.

20. DuDDleyDawsonII

Chandler can create his own shot, did yall even watch the clip ??? He been doin it more this season