1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lowry-Dragic vs. Lin Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Xfinity

Xfinity Member

Lol using players stat from several different year where they played with different players and situation to determine who is currently better. By that logic then Aaron Brooks was probably the best of them all.

2. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

keep calm and vote for Rockets for All star game, lessgo

3. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Just curious, what do you think of Lin this season?

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lin has been playing fantastic this year. Best out of the three so far this season.

I was never as high on Dragic as others were in this forum. I was more of a Lowry guy myself. I can see he is playing quite well in Toronto this year as well. Over the course of the year, I think Lowry would be the better PG, but it's not by much at all, Lin has really improved his game.

Maybe I just miss Lowry too much. Was my favorite player when he was here. The bowling ball :(

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

I like lowry too. he is more or less like bulldog.:grin:

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He has been excellent as a scorer/shooter, average at playmaking/taking care of the ball and a poor defender.

7. warbirdzone

warbirdzone Contributing Member

I think Lin has been excellent as a scorer, good at playmaking, average as a defender, poor at taking care of the ball.

8. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it proves our view is subjective.

on this board, more ppl agree with warbirdzone than not.

1 person likes this.
  9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Bill always used to say he was built like an NFL running back. I don't know why but I immediate think of Frank Gore for the 49ers... if he was taller LOL

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I don't agree with you on the subject, I think Lin is the better of the three.

But

It almost makes me want to switch to your side because of the way the other posters to act.
    There is no need for them to call you son and saying you're pulling stuff out your ass, because they don't agree with you.
    Just because they don't agree with you doesn't mean they need to be an ass about it.

11. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I son everyone son.

12. Stats

Stats Member

Lin's defense a bit more nuanced

Here's some statistics to through out. This is opp fg %.

[​IMG]

Filters are guard positions and must face at least 10 FGA on the perimeter a game (typical for starters or anyone playing major guard minutes)

Note the perimeter defense deficiency. Although note that Harden's performance here is significantly better than Lin's. Harden is 16-17th in perimeter def while Lin/Bev are way lower. Not even top 30.

However, in Long midrange defense. Lin and Harden are BOTH in the top 15. Beverley and Lin are both in the top 10 for closer Midrange and near the basket, although Dwight obviously is a factor there.

So agree with you Larsv, but with a twist. Lin isn't necessarily a crappy defender. He is a crappy perimeter defender but a very good mid-range defender. My guess what's going on here is high P&R defense weakness. I've seen a few plays where Lin gets screened high and the PG/SG just shoots. Meanwhile, the pick's defending rocket player (Howard/Asik) does not come out and hedge because Lin's getting picked on the perimeter or even further out. Same case with Bev.

Will dig a little further and see what I get. Again, small sample size :)

13. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

If that's the case then maybe you should ask yourself why you are so insecure, and have to call everybody son.

#1513 Billionzz, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  14. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

Resorting to ad hominems already? How exactly did I "tear down" other players to promote Lin in my earlier comment eh?

People last year wanted Lin to get a better 3pt shot, he did that. A more reliable jumper? He did that too. Couldn't go left? Not anymore. A greater commitment to defense? Its arguable but I think he improved his D this yr. Be more consistent? He just played a back to back with very heavy minutes and he did more than fine. His TOs still need work but that isn't surprising as the team needs to gel especially with the addition of Howard and Asik'a current lack of heart (sad to say but you can see it the way he's been playing so far).

Come on, Lars. You make it sound as if the kid isn't even trying. Your hate for LOFs seems to affect your judgment for the player. Not saying it isn't justified but I know you're better than that.

1 person likes this.
  15. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

I concur

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

17. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Lowry is the better all around bc of consistency....Dragic has the best polished game of the 3. Lin has come a long way and Im very impressed thus far this year....I always thought he was overrated before during and after Linsanity and didnt deserve his contract....But if his showcasing this year is the real deal and not a fad i will humbly eat my words... If I had to grade I would grade Lowry 1... Lin 2A and Dragic 2B only time will tell though.....

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

1, 2a, 2b wtf is that counting system... your undesire to credit Lin in the face of reality is just amplified with your dumb alphanumeric counting system. It's 1, 2, 3 or 1a 1b 1c.

1 person likes this.
  19. Jovial

Jovial Member

Coward, why don't you use your major account to push the crap?

20. Gil

Gil Member

Can Larvs8 stop pretending he's some voice of reason? "Competent" lol.

My biggest problem with Lin was his consistency, defense, shooting and inability to take care of the ball. He's improved 2 out of the 4 it seems.

I'm not ready to crown him Derrick Rose West but his development as a player seems on a constant upward scale and he's playing out of his mind so far this season.

1 person likes this.