1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lowry-Dragic vs. Lin Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 1, 2012.

1. pnr

pnr Member

you can create an arbitrary parameter to showcase pretty much any player. it's really not that hard.... these stats are useless

1 person likes this.
  2. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Yes and no. It depends on how arbitrary and specific the parameters are. A certain number of points and assists is rather general and does have meaning.

3. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Two incidences of two games in a row with 15+ points and 10+ assists is very specific.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

What makes Jeremy good, is his ability to probe in the paint. Once his jump shot improves, he will start killing teams. I love the circles he runs in the paint.

5. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

Kyle had a pretty terrible March (well the Raptors pretty much all sucked in March) .

still, looking at monthly trend, it's not entirely evident after December that Lowry's the better player, though the difference in the first month was pretty huge.

Per 36 min, post ASB

Lowry: 11.3 pt, 7.5 assist .380 /.330 /.729 FG/3P/FT

Lin : 17.0 pt, 7.2 assist .462/.403 /.778 FG/3P/FT

I think one should be fairly optimistic of Lin going forward, like Lowry, Lin made a lot of stride on his shooting and did it a lot faster than Lowry did. it's hard to call it a fluke now that he's into his 3rd month shooting over 40% from 3 P that we can at least probably take the "bad shooter" tag off him .

There's plenty Lin still needs to do to get better, but there's little reason to think that he wouldn't try hard and make significant progress in most of them.

6. dianelo

dianelo Member

Lin is going to the playoff whereas the other two are not.
    People may argue that Harden is the main reason we're making it, but I don't think we can deny the fact that Lin has played a part.

7. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Lin can only improve gets along with everyone

Lowry fights with coaches has bad temper....not marketable

8. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

you dont finish 7th in the west without a solid pg

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

That's actually his weakness as a PG. He's more of a ballstopping playmaker, when he doesn't kickout from drives. A lot of the time, very similiar to McGrady, maybe even a higher level than McGrady at making passes. A lesser Harden with greater than McGrady passing. The more I see, the more I'm convinced he's a SG.

10. syntax error

syntax error Contributing Member

This is not a problem because the defense readjusts and create opportunities for other guys. The problem is when he dribbles in and out of the lane and suddenly picks up his dribble or jumps and passes.

11. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

In the four games this season that Harden was absent Lin averages 20/7. His stats with Harden off/on are day and night as well. Small sample sizes but the stats tell us what our eyes can already see, they've both got overlapping games and they cannibalise each other's productions.

I think it would be fair to infer that Lin is more than capable of putting up prettier box scores in a team without a ball dominant PNR guard like Harden, though of course this would come at the expense of team wins as Harden is integral to our offense.

The dramatic decline of Lowry since the Raptors acquired Rudy Gay and the marginalisation of Steve Nash since partnering Kobe also supports the assertion.

I believe Lin would average 18/8 without Harden, but I obviously don't think that makes the Rockets a better team. Dragic and Lowry would have difficulty adjusting and posting up pretty box scores if they were in Lin's position, it's already apparent in the case of Lowry.

No one can say with absolute confidence that Dragic or Lowry would have been better than Lin in the new Rocket's team, in fact it seems that the opposite may hold true, as both Dragic and Lowry have regressed this season.

1 person likes this.
  12. sean joh

sean joh Member

Me too!
    Oh I like Random Fan~
    He is something special .

13. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Absolutely. The Raptors are a sorry franchise but they're still in the East. While I'm sure they'll make improvements next season, sans a flurry of wins immediately after the Gay acquisition, they've regressed back to mediocre basketball.

Gay isn't Harden and Dwane Casey is a joke of a coach so their situation is the result of much more than Lowry's play but nonetheless they're a lottery squad in the East and Lowry has never showed the leadership qualities and winning personality that Lin does.

I'm aware of his ability on the court as a PG, but besides the first month of basketball even that hasn't been a point of advantage that Lowry possesses over Lin.

14. sean joh

sean joh Member

I am really enjoying Random Fan's writing. He always brings up something unexpected against Jeremy. Especially when Jeremy has a good game. He is not a LOH.
    He is a infinite LOH~

15. ahhh

ahhh Member

Lin and Harden both played at small colleges. Those colleges do not thinking about making sure players are NBA ready, they just want to win. So Lin and Harden never developed the mentality and full skill set to play their position in the NBA coming out of college. The difference is Harden had 3 years with one of the best teams in the NBA at developing young talent.

Both of them were positioned as SGs in college. But teams would double/tripled team team, so they also learned to pass and create. They simultaneous were playing both positions in the back court.

McHale is right about Lin being a home-run type of player. He wants the perfect pass/shot every time, which in the NBA, good teams never give those up. So Lin's not a ballstopper by nature, he reacts to what the defense gives him, it's just that when there's nothing to give, he holds on to the ball instead of passing to his teammate for a imperfect shot. Harden is actually very similar, he is not selfish despite what people say, he just wants the best shot.

1 person likes this.
  16. ahhh

ahhh Member

Did not proof read, I sound ESL.

17. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Arizona State in Pac-12 is a small college? Enrollment: 72,254 (2011)

Which world to you live in?

18. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

TV makes a good baby sitter. Too bad the Houston games are not on tV so the kid has to use his imagination.

19. ogh

ogh Member

Man why do you have to make me read twice? Albeit good writing. :rolleyes:

20. timyeung

timyeung Member

Yeah, special Olympics.