1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lowry-Dragic vs. Lin Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 1, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Adjusted to Lin's 32.9mpg, opposing PGs have the following statline.

Opponent: 16.1ppg/3.8rpg/6.3apg/3.2topg/48.7 efg%/16 PER
    Jeremy Lin: 12.5ppg/3.6rpg/6.1apg/3.0topg/47.8 efg%/14.6 PER

Stats: where selective memory goes to die. :)

2. Dementium

Dementium Member

I would take that with a grain of salt. You should compare those PGs to their season averages. I would bet their season averages would be higher. I remember some of them absolutely burned him (Kemba, Jrue), but these guys get theirs no matter who the opposing PG is. And Dwill basically has a chip on his shoulder.

I also remember him shutting down opposing star PGs a few times (Conley, Curry, Rondo).

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

PER is normalized so that 15 PER is league average. Which is why I included that.

But assuming you are correct that these players are all collectively underperforming their offensive potential, then it also would suggest that Lin's offensive game is much worse than other PGs around the league. Either way, the picture it shows is that Lin needs to improve to league average status. Mind you, he has improved considerably over the season. And assuming he works hard in the offseason, perhaps a dramatic improvement next year. But as of right now, he's not so great.

4. munco

munco Member

In general he's seemed pretty good outside of a few games. In particular I remember Deron, Lillard, and Kemba having big games but that's just off my memory.

In the last few games he's been overall pretty solid. Kemba had a big game, but Curry and Lawson were held in check

5. pnr

pnr Member

How are you adjusting to the minutes? A lot of the times Dougie or Bev have come in for Lin for "defensive purposes" too. One would have to go through every single play in the games and count the ones where Lin has been guarding the opposing PG and see the stats there. I don't think there are any sites that do such an indepth analysis though.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

82games.com attempts this with their per position stats. http://www.82games.com/1213/12HOU2.HTM#bypos

7. pnr

pnr Member

It just says the PG position though, which is Lin, Douglas, and Beverley. There's not separation for each player from what I can see...

8. pnr

pnr Member

Oh I see that it's under Jlin category, d'oh. Nevermind then.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

While they have had some problems recently, they are still more reliable than other cars in their price range.

10. conquistador#11

but wouldn't that hold true to all pure point guards that don't score over 16.
    you can say dragic gets outscored every night on "average"

11. Karolik

Karolik Member

JLin is not a pure PG, he's a combo guard with decent court vision.

12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What makes you think he's not a true point guard?

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Why? Because he is good at drive to the hoop? What's your definition of a "pure point guard"? The guy has been looking to set up his teammates all the time, to the point that fans here called him too passive. When he did look for his own scoring, you call him not a "pure point guard"?

I guess you just cannot win.

14. Karolik

Karolik Member

Because Lin relies on his scoring to be successful whereas someone like Rondo does not. (although I think Rondo is the most overrated PG).

He's way closer to Drose in playstyle than Rajon Rondo.

15. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

I agree with you that his natural style is closer to DRose than Rondo. But here in Houston, he is being asked to play more like Rondo. Just go back and read what McHale and Sampson said early in the season or even before the season start and you will see. Basically Houston did not want him as one of the top scoring options, they just wanted him to be the distributor of the ball and leave scoring to his teammates. Then when Harden arrived, even that role was changed and he's had to learn to share the distributing with Harden.

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He can't control tempo, and he struggles setting himself and his teammates up when the game slows down. Chris Paul he is not.

He needs to continue to improve his shooting, and his tempo. Fixing his catch and shoot 3 would help all aspects of his game, especially in the halfcourt. He needs to take more 15 footers, as opposed to making jump passes.

I like his progress this year. If you look at him as a rookie, you have to be impressed. Next year is his make or break year. He needs to become consistent.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would much rather have dragic and harden over lin and harden any day. Lin reminds me of matt maloney.

18. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You must have forgotten Matt Maloney, Lin is nothing whatsoever like him. What a ridiculous statement.

19. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

What i find funny about Rox fans is that they truly belief Dragic would put up 18/8 with Harden, even though I belief both Lin and Dragic stats last year had more to do with the condensed season

Dragic is 1% better FG%
    Dragic is 3% better 3FG%
    Dragic is a Vastly inferior Defender then Lin
    Dragic is 2 years older then Lin

20. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Stats: where Toney Douglas getting abused defensively when he subs in for Jeremy Lin gets credited to Lin's opponent PER