1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lower Bowl at the Toyota Center...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So let me get this right, if you aren't an emotionally expressive person (i.e. the type to scream or cheer all game), then you aren't a real fan? If you love to sit and watch and analyze the game...and on occasion stand, clap or really cheer on very exciting moments...like dunks or during the home stretch...and not necessarily all game long, then you aren't a real fan? If you don't want to stand up for the majority of the game for whatever reason (you like to sit down, tired, with a date, introducing a child to basketball, etc), then you aren't a real fan.

Is that what I am reading here?

People are different, and they express their "fandom" in different ways. I think it's kinda silly to expect everyone to do it just like you do, but that's life.......

2. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

I guess I too should buy 2 tickets in the bowl AND WRITE THEM OFF as a business expense. That's all those guys see it as... a business expense... to entertain people (often from out of town) who could give a fark about the Rockets. Brilliant.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

You forget the purchase of the suite too. Hey, put your money where you mouth is. You can do what they do. Anyone can (assuming they have the means). Yes, some people buy them to treat their clients. It helps them make money.

I'm not tax expert, but are you implying they get the seats and suites absolutely free? I highly doubt that. They might get some kickback, but nothing is free.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I like how bleak, and boring being an adult is, as described by you. So when everyone is in their 30s and up, we're supposed to wear suits everywhere, not get into a game, and simply become our job. Why cheer wildly for a team you've been watching all your life, when you can instead make money and spend it on material things that are supposed to make you happy. Your life must be awesome.
    You fail to understand that Clutchfans are happy, because they love the Rockets, yet you think something is wrong with that.
    And I'll stay a child and finish this off with a nice insult: SUCK MY BALLS!

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

You get to sit side by side (rather than across from) a potential or current prospect. You're in a unique and dynamic environment, high profile and fun. You've got clients who are in from out of town who you don't want to have to spend the night in the Marriott. Best of all, you recoup the 15K you spent on tickets by closing a deal.

Here's what we all have to get our heads around. If biz types aren't buying those tickets, Toyota Center would have an empty lower bowl, rather than a docile one. Because it's rare that you'll find someone who is going to spend that much money on tickets for personal reasons.

Here's a legit gripe: the Clubs, Lexus Lounge and Baseline Bar keep people away from their seats. but if you HAVE to have them - don't show the astros game or other sports on the TV.

6. EssTooKayTD

but but...they want to yell "suck my balls." Probably the same people that are weekend millionaires thinking they are the ones who are "balla."

Add: wanted to be clear. I'm not hating on those that sometimes have to struggle to get by. I'm talkin about those frontin and living outside of their means...the weekend millionaire.

7. 2deep

2deep Contributing Member

Dave...seriously...I understand thats a big commitment but realize, $572 would get you exactly TWO games down in bottom of the lower bowl. The financial commitment made by some of the corporations allows Les to go out and spend the entire MLE every year. It's a necessary "evil" if you want to call it that. Some of the biggest fans I know come to the game in suits, they're not white, and they're not old...guess that breaks every stereotype out there. I myself have been down courtside for 25+ games this season and would hardly qualify as a passive fan.

Some people also enjoy watching basketball as an art. I bet you never have, and never will see a basketball coach watching a game and jumping up and screaming or cheering. I know my fellow coaches enjoy watching the game and picking out all the nuances without jumping up and down and screaming the entire time. If fandom is judged on how much noise one makes then we just need to fill up the arena with 14 year old girls and play a Jonas Brothers loop on the jumbotron, that'll create a massive HCA.

8. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'd rather spend 572 for a whole season with passionate fans and scream my ass off and not get bugged about it than sit for 2 games at a much closer seat

I've experienced a good time in the lower bowl given to me from my kickass rep!!! in which I did my cheering and get called about it, hell it was 2 rows behind the Sonics bench where me, moe, mig, and shan had a blast, reason y? we had lower courtside seats, its was a Monday MLK holiday afternoon which most corperate employes were at work. and it was against the Sonics. In summery, we had a rare good experience in the lower bowl, but it was rare occurance.

#128 Dave2000, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  9. SourGrapes

SourGrapes Member

I wish Les could start some kind of program where you can voluntarily offer your seat to those from the higher deck to make the atmosphere more intimidating, especially in the regular season games where there are so many empty seats in the lower bowl.

Maybe during halftime, allow as many people to sit in the lower bowl. Obviously, someone who paid for a particular seat in the lower bowl gets to sit there if he's at the game. But I'm just tired of all the empty seats I see on TV. Embarrassing.

10. 2deep

2deep Contributing Member

I'm glad you go to experience that, more of it goes on than most realize. Now not to get on your case at all b'c you've done great things here for a lot of people. Just going to use your case as an example.

Case A: die hard fan, cheer your heart out from the upper bowl, have your 500-750 season ticket package.

Case B: Family Company buys block of seats priced at 75k for the year and about 2k more per playoff game, sends people every game...not people who go crazy down there by any means, but fans nonetheless, get excited when team is doing well, not as much during the dead games

In which case are the Rockets as a team actually getting better? Fans are a necessity by all means, but there is a certain ring of "Don't talk about it, be about it" to this whole conversation. Is having 6 fans cheer their lungs out from the upper deck more valuable to the team than having half a years salary for a team trainer paid for? Just philosophical more than anything I guess, I know where I stand, interesting to see others viewpoints I guess.

11. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Haha, 'analyze' the game. As though:

1. It isn't possible to do that *and* be loud/cheer your team.

or

2. Anyone cares that you or I are deep in quiet study, which does jack **** to help the team we are supposed to be fans of out on the court.

As is the case usually when someone has regular access to something a little more desirable by other folks; they take it for granted.

12. EssTooKayTD

I have a great time in the lower bowl. I'm sorry your experiences have not been that great.

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

While I do wish the lower bowl sidelines crowd was more involved, I do understand that they pay a lot of money and it's their right to be not as loud as people from Utah, Sacramento, Golden State, Boston, Detroit, LA, San Antonio, Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, hell pretty much every other NBA city.

But again, it is their right. My main beef is that other people like Laygo who spend big money just to sit there get yelled at for being a fan. As long as you're not cussing and not standing the ENTIRE game, then you have just as much right as everyone else around you.

A lot of it is etiquette. I get it with golf, but this is basketball. Many other NBA cities have corporate big wigs filling up the lower bowl too. Why are their fans more involved than in Houston?

What do the other teams do differently? Do they not kick out fans for being loud? Do they encourage their fans to be loud? Do they not cater to those who complain about fans around them being loud?

I don't care if you're rich or poor. I'm just curious as to why those who buy the most expensive tickets in Houston are not as loud or interested in the home team (in general) as those who buy the most expensive tickets in many other cities.

14. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

you are a jerk that is all...

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I haven't ever attended a game at the ToyBox, but it does look sad on TV. I will tell you I have been at the Palace in Detroit in those corporate seats yelling and jumping for the Rockets... and still no one told me to sit down.

I did clap for Tayshaun too, so maybe that's why they didn't bother me.

In fact at the last game in December I had a couple of the people around me laughing and cheering for Chuck too (which may be because he had to shoot free throws.. and we all know how that puts people in a laughing mood). Of course, this wasn't a play off game and Detroit ended up winning so maybe that makes the difference.

But I haven't ever seen a group of people get harassed by other fans for enjoying themselves at a Pistons game... to hear that yall felt like that at the Toyota Center is sad. And there is a difference between the people in the upper decks of the Palace and the corporate seats, but every one there is a fan, at least that I could tell.

I don't care how much you paid for your ticket, if you aren't going to enjoy the game and enjoy the atmosphere of the competition, then don't bother going. Give your seats to someone who wants to enjoy it... someone with kids who will enjoy it... someone that knows something about the game and isn't there just chat with an associate.

Especially during the playoffs. It may be a status thing for you, but its not fair to punish those who it isn't all about "I've got tickets to the playoffs, can I interest you in buying some ocean front property in Arizona? Let's talk about it at the game."

It just makes me sad that people would get treated that way from non-fans who just went to the game because they could. Especially since there is a lot of us who would love to come to the TC and see a game, and the players, up close and part of the action.

16. RaferMadness

RaferMadness Rookie

It is sad that a playoff game in china would be more loud for the rockets than in HOUSTON!!!

17. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I uh . . . want to clarify something. I did not pay for those seats, they were a corporate gift to my stepdad for all the business he does with the company that owns the seats. They give him probably 5-6 games a year & some playoffs. As much as I was like to be able to throw $340 down for ONE TICKET for those seats, I've got some sense! ;)

BUT, It's not cheap to travel anymore. It's costing me $150 a trip in gas alone. I had to rent a car cuz my car is acting up, so another $200 round trip (this should be cheaper, but long story).

With family down there, accommodations are cheap.

It's still not cheap for me to get down there, but I make every effort to get down there. I was there for the last 2 games in the streak (CHA/LAL).

18. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

I have plowed through this entire thread and thought that I must put my two cents in.

I have been a season ticket holder in some fashion since the Toyota Center opened. ( Coincidentally, when I moved back home). We started with the 14 game packs and this year moved to full season. Our tickets are in the lower bowl, Sec 114, row 28. I have sat in the club sections and I have sat in the upper bowl. The experiences are completely different.

The only real "problem" area are the club sections. You also have to remember that the bars and the Lounges create much of the problem. That being said, each fan has their own way of supporting their teams. I am not an overly loud and yelling fan. I get into the game, and I stand at the appropriate times. I wear red sometimes, I dont other times. I love the passion that the hardcore fans bring. I have had the pleasure of meeting Dave2000 and some of the other rowdies, and no one brings it like these guys. However, you cant fault people who come to the games and enjoy it in their own way.

I am a hardcore fan. I watch every game and attend approximately 23-27 games a year. I would go to more, but the wife and I have a seven month old daughter and it is a little more difficult than it used to be.

19. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm not saying they shouldn't buy tickets. I'm saying the following...

1) The Toyota Center shouldn't be quiet enough to conduct a business deal in the playoffs while 20ft from the action.

2) You shouldn't be a ****ty fan just because you are only there for business. Get loud. Show your client that you're proud of your hometown boys.

I know if I were entertained by being taken to someone's hometown arena for a basketball game and it was like that I would be thoroughly unimpressed.

The bars and clubs are a good example of this as well. I agree with that gripe, but I just don't understand how Houston is by far one of the crappiest basketball towns.

20. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

Concerning the getting kicked out for being loud... correct me if I'm wrong, but they encourage it on the jumbotron, right?