1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lower Bowl at the Toyota Center...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Please define "when the Rockets do something" because that is too generic a statement and I would not want to be sitting when you think it is appropriate to stand.

Hard to give high fives when your facing the court with your behind on the seat...

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Why so hard to turn around and give high fives? Who's the snob now? If you are giving high fives, you are happy, if you are happy, you are probably standing b/c the team did something good/awesome...do I really need to say that or are you just trying to knitpick?

3. jajayao

jajayao Member

I'm from the bay area so can only say from what I've seen on television all season long, but Toyota Center is outright depressing. I don't believe you need to be obnoxiously loud to be a fan, but give me a damn break. It looked like half of the people in the lower bowl didn't really care to be there. I rarely heard any chants, occasionally you would hear a small group yelling "Defense", probably the red rowdies or the upper level. And the only time you see anybody standing up is at the end of each half... probably to get ready to goto the bathroom or get a drink at the bar.

I must admit that the people behind backboards on the lower bowl are pretty good though. It just mainly the sideline area that everyone sees on television that has major problems. Am I generalizing? Yeah. But you know there is something wrong when only 1 out of 20 people in that area are wearing something related to the Rockets...... DURING A PLAYOFF GAME!!! Damn depressing.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Well, I'm gonna call and complain to my rep, if she won't listen, somebody will. I am NOT renewing my tix unless my word gets out.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

lol....same here.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

someone should make a sign that says "worst home court in basketball"..maybe, just maybe that will get some of the coorperate bastards worked up

7. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Just playing devils advocate to your argument that is all. Trying to figure out who is leading the high fives sudden coming together of polar opposites ...the guy who is 100% pro-sitting (and will call out those who dare stand at the wrong time), or does the fanatical anti-sitting guy (who should be nervous about getting kicked out of their seats if they make the wrong move).

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Sometimes I like to wear my blue button-up shirt and work pants to the game and clap like I was at Wimbledon so I can look rich and "corporate"

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

just like your Korver defense on CCR when he dunks on u :)

10. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

The guy that vouched for me just cheering was wearing just that. Blue button up shirt with white cuffs, dark slacks, with some 'arm candy'.

He was definitely a nice guy, but he hardly cheered or showed any emotion.

Sorry, but I express my emotion.

And all this back & forth about cheering. I was not standing 100% of the time, but I can guarantee you I was 1st standing before the shot even left some people's hands. I'm just attentive to the game.

On top of it all, I warned people I was going to be loud.

After speaking with my step-dad more tonight, I dont think it was any fans complaining but it came from the TNT folks that I was TOO LOUD. The problem is . . . their mics were too close to my cheers.

Sit their whiney TNT asses upstairs if they have a problem with people cheering.

11. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

LOL, everytime KK ran by I was screaming "KORVER HAS GAY ELF DEFENSE!"

12. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

when people tell me to sit down, i just turn around and go...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p170/abuschow/*****.jpg

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw that. A lot of people were yelling for you in our section. :D

And that's ridiculous. TNT. If they are gonna pull that crap, they better silence that SOB in Utah that rings that little bell every time the Jazz make a basket.

14. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

LMAO! Nice one!

15. B-BallGuy

B-BallGuy Member

I did not attend the game yesterday but have gone to playoff games in the past and regular season games and i must agree the Toyota Center does suck. The NBA has evolved from a game with proud supporters to a marketing business. Why has that problem evolved? Team owners aren't much into the game or the sport (some exceptions like cuban). Most of them had the money to purchase a team and saw that it was a good business so they but a team. They could care less about creating a a good home court, all they care is about making money.

Not just basketball, but all sports in the U.S. have become a form of entertainment. They are not a passion. Look at soccer. It is the world's sport not because necessarily of the sport, but because of the fans. The fans are what make the sport. Could you imagine the fan support of soccer at a basketball game? Basketball is much more fast paced and is easier to get people involved than soccer, so just imagine.

A problem is that prices are too high for the average fan to afford. And fans are spread apart. I hate it when you see a jazz fan here, a jazz fan there. Put them together in one section. I hate it when you see a jazz fan or any other fan standing beside the rowdies. It makes it look gay.

I have sat with the rowdies for a couple of games before but i must say even though they are the loudest at the game and have improved from last year, i feel they still have a long way to go. Why? There is NO originality in the chants. All i heard was different forms of Defense.. Defense. i do like the Duke chant when we are on defense but you need to get ervyone on the same page. The rowdies also have to make an effort to talk to the rox game staff and try to get them to stop always playing random songs during the game. Let the Rowdies start some chants and then, the PA announcer can play the appropriate song. ALso when you guys put in some time and make a good, catchy song that motivates the TEAM (not a player. basketball is a team sport, so stop jumping on a player's, you know) then talk to the rockets organization to put some of the lyrics to the songs on the game day program so the bandwagoner who doesn't know the words can see what you are saying and might actually pitch in.

Also i believe there should be more lower price tickets for loud fans to go sit down with the red rowdies. You give discounts for the true fans to go down there and thus, it creates a better home court advantage which leads to more wins, that leads to more money for the owners.

This should be our goal for a basketball game:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7u4SDYgeUMs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7u4SDYgeUMs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You can not expect to start off big. Start of small. Don't be afraid to ask the front office for stuff. Fans make the game.

Another thing. When rowdies were making chants, there were two guys with small pathetic little drums and they were off beat with each other. Talk with each other. Pass a hat to collect some money at games, ask organization to help a bit and buy a good drum for the game. Then get someone who can actually play it or is willing to learn(not at games but at their own time. You need to know what you are doing at games.) If you guys get together, work stuff out, and just never leave the front office alone, they will help and the fan base will go. Some people will not always go for the game, but will go for the fan experience.

You need help or advice, ask el batallon or the texian army (Dynamo supporter groups) to give you some advice.

We need to change Houston from being a Bunch of Corporate whores that spend half the game in line for nachos to some that are at the game an hour before starting chants.

Another thing that will help get more passion in the stands, is to make fun of other teams and their fans. No, not throw insults at individuals but invents some chants. for example. Make one saying that dallas has never won a championship or the team fans are all a bunch of soccer moms. When you see some fans leaving the game early, call them out. Whether they are home or away, tell them somthing that will make them feel bad for leaving.

we as the true rockets fans have to work together to get this done and its possible. You can't be scared to stand up for your team and tell that annoying person behind you asking you to sit down, to stand up and cheer. Tell them you payed money to cheer on your team not sit down on your ass down. you could of done that at home. if your willing to tell them that they usually back off. always works for me.

Rockets fans. Lets start something. We all need to be in it together, and if we all do it, we can get what we want.

16. SORF

SORF Member

Lovely :rolleyes: ...I'm handicapped and I sit in row 21 of the lower bowl...when fans like you stand up constantly, I end up watching the game on the Jumbotron...is that fair? Be considerate to others and sit down so others that can't stand can enjoy the game too. We don't mind if you stand up momentarily to cheer a play, but to constantly stand long stretches is rude.

The handicap enjoy basketball too...and I wear a Yao jersey, cheer, high five, and watch the game. I hope you think of this posting the next time you go off on someone that asks or yells to sit down...maybe they have a good reason.

17. B-BallGuy

B-BallGuy Member

im pretty sure the people who have told him to sit down are not handicap. everyone who has asked me to sit down were not handicap.

plus that is another reason why there should a section with lower prices for those who want to stand and cheer. This stuff wouldn't happen if there was a section b/c people who get annoyed from others standing up and cheering will know not to buy tix there.

18. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

The only "corporate" fan that I love at Rockets games......
    Infamous district attorney Rusty Hardin. He's at the majority of the games and his passion at Rockets game is GREAT. He jumps, he shouts, he argues calls at the referees. I love it.

19. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Rusty Hardin isn't the DA.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

It's people like you why the Toyota Center will never be what clutchfans wants it to be, full of diehards cheering their team on to victory.

Your excuses for the lame fans who sit on their hands are typical PC crap. Yes its rational, yeah it makes sense, but this is sports fandom we're talking about. It's not suppose to make sense, or have a middle ground.

The Dog Pound, Red Sox Nation, Raider Nation (or whatever they call them), and all the other famous sports fan clubs are famous because not of their PC fandom and politeness, but they show their fandom the only way it was meant to be showed, LOUD PROUD and all out.

As far as I'm concerned, there are 2 types of people sitting in the TC stands, Customers and Fans. The bland PC sit on hands are the customer type. They paid their money for a product. The true fans are the ones like in that group, they have a true commitment to the team they love and are not afraid to show it.

Let's not insult the True Fans by calling those lower bowl customers as fans either.