1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The logic says we get Tyrus Thomas as well

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Stein on the ESPN Rockets trade reports that the Knicks are looking to trade Harrington's expiring for the Bulls' Thomas and Jerome James' expiring. Why would the Knicks either do a trade for expiring contracts with a zero sum gain, or take on more salary in Thomas' contract (the same amount as Jeffries next year) unless it was for other reasons?

He also reports that the Knicks are willing to pay a 'premium' for McGrady. We've also heard Hill is untradeable.

Scola and Landry are both offensive PFs. Scola rebounds. Both are defensive liabilities. You need a defensive option. Thomas fits that.

So the four-way trade I see:

Bulls get Harrington (18 points/game).
    Knicks get McGrady, Jerome James, Sergio Rodriguez
    Rockets get Martin, Tyrus Thomas, Kenny Thomas, Armstrong
    Kings get Landry, Dorsey, Hughes/Mobley, huge cap relief

The premium that the Knicks are paying is agreeing to trade newly acquired Tyrus Thomas for Sergio Rodriguez (who they apparently like, probably because he's entertaining, perfect for NYC) in order to ultimately get McGrady.

[I posted this in the trade thread, but figure this is a separate discussion point focused on filling our PF needs.]

1 person likes this.
  2. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

sounds plausible

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This seem's more Intriguing that what is currently being proposed.... :(

Man, talk about let downs, MARTIN IS OVERRATED

--RB

4. Alief

Alief Member

I won't be shocked at all if there is a side deal for either Thomas or some other PF that takes place, based on all of the trade rumors that we had seen it seems that PFs are WAY easier to come by than shooting guards which is why I think Morey was willing to part with Landry in this trade rather than in the others.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Just like Landry is for many here.

6. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

If we get BOTH Martin and Tyrus Thomas this move is GENIUS! Fills both our biggest needs! A legit defensive BIG and big time scoring 2 guard! Landry and Scola are basically the same player. Neither is a shot blocker or has any defensive presense.

7. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Thomas may be able to be had in a seperate deal without trying to get to complicated, maybe Cook and Armstrong, both expiring for Thomas. Don't know if that would work but might make sense.

8. s2kboy16

s2kboy16 Member

Kevin Martin +Tyrus Thomas...One can only hope!

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Wow hell of a trade

10. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Hope Morey does shore up the front line. The Rockets would get abused by bigger teams should the line up remain as is.

11. acefan18

acefan18 Member

Tyrus Thomas would cheer me up a little bit after losing Landry. I know what Morey sees in Martin, but I feel the hate already coming up from deep in my intestines for being a "soft" player. He has NEVER played a full season. Get Thomas please Morey.......PLEASE!!!!

12. blactrs2

blactrs2 Member

if we could get thomas i could handle this landry for martin trade a little better but as of now IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. jteg25

jteg25 Member

so whens the press conference @ toyota center to welcome kevin martin ala mcgrady when he was traded here? no? not gonna happen? damn i was really hoping we could all fill out a couple thousand seats and chant mvp for ANOTHER "scoring" guard who hasnt played a full season in a cpl years. but atleast mcgrady is gone :p

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'm really hoping for Thomas or Hill at this point....I dont want kenny thomas to be our back up PF.....

--RB

15. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

I was thinking the same thing about Thomas.

16. blink52y

blink52y Member

This makes a lot of sense. I like it! Lets get it done!