1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The league has figured Yao out, or Rick is a bad coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman101, Apr 22, 2009.

1. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

It's been known since 2005 you could front Yao and take him out the game, what's new? We just need to make the proper adjustments.

2. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

Did you not see the rolling eyes at the end of that post?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you tell me....how many shots did he still put up while being limited by them. they were his toughest assignment, but i still don't recall a 6 shot game. and i don't recall him being stifled by the likes of a brandon bass.

when hakeem struggled, he still put up 20 and kicked much ass on the other end of the court.

#63 MadMax, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. MadMax

Hakeem played with a bunch of nobodies for a long time. He managed quadruple-doubles and was freaking dominant.

Now if you're talking about defining "successful" as winning rings, you're absolutely right. But Hakeem wasn't denied his game at any point because of the players around him. Great players get theirs, regardless.

5. MadMax

do that all you want, and you still ain't stopping lebron. that's the difference. that's the point.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure Hakeem put up monster stats but the Rockets were never more than playoff also rans until you had other players like your namesake, Horry, Smith, Elie, Clyde and Barkley to complement Hakeem.

Also I think it is safe to say that Yao aint Hakeem.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

let's say we concede to ibm that dream "did" struggle v. that team. it's one thing to struggle and still have an impact. he still would "try" to get his.

yao doesn't even have a chance msot times when teams front him and he's neutralized and most of the time is a nonfactor on offense or even defense.

THAT'S the problem, and yet people blame it on the coaches AND players when this have gone on through 3 different coaches and many different players. it's yao's to solve. great players don't depend on coaches or other players to help him out to get HIS.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's not the point. everyone knows you need good players around you to win championships. the point is dream gets his. great players get theirs.

but hey, great players can get a bunch of nobodies to the playoffs. then you need talent to advance and win and he did.

9. apxn82

apxn82 Member

Comparing the current Yao to one of all time best is just plain stupid. No one said Yao is Hakeem. Wake the bleep up people. Why do you have to put that on his shoulder? is that even fair? While Lebron was comparing to Magic and Jordan on his draft day Yao was said to be the next biggest bust in the league. After 7 years, the NBA biggest bust turned out to be a 20-10 guys is more than what you can asked for. Comparing him to dream and hoping he can do what Dream do is just plain idiotic!!!

10. tingYAO

tingYAO Member

In before good clutch looks this :D

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick Adelman has over 860 career wins and over 70 playoffs wins

you armchair newbs figure it out .

12. MadMax

he doesn't have to be dream.

the question is, can he be "the man" on a championship team. i'm hoping the rockets are interested in building a championship team and not just a first round winner.

when he can't find a way to get more than 6 shots attempts in a playoff game, i become a bit skeptical. and if were the one signing the contracts and the checks, i'd be wary.

13. MadMax

great. so what is he? a roleplayer getting 6 shots in playoff games? a "force" neutralized by the mad fronting skills of brandon bass? please don't max that player out if that's what he is.

it's a "good to great" principle here. if he isn't great...and he's the best on our team...then our team needs an overhaul if winning a ring is the goal. because aside from a few examples in nba history, rings are won by great players.

14. apxn82

apxn82 Member

I see what you're saying but let me ask you this. At this time in his career who would you compare him to? If you ask me he's a better version of RIK SMIT. that's it!!! Now let me ask you this? did people give Rik Smit that kind of pressure during his career when he had crappy night? no! did Pacers fans dog him every bad outing? no!
    The rockets can either find better pieces to surrounding Yao to patch his flaws or trade him. Just that simple!
    Another point I want to make is Yao is One of THE BEST CENTER today. However, BEST CENTER of today is prolly top 10 at best comparing to the best center during the 80s or the 90s. Best center today doesnt mean you equate him to HAKEEM, or WILT.

15. apxn82

apxn82 Member

Another point I wanted to make is Yao is not even your franchise player. Your franchise player just had a knee surgery and might show up to the game this friday night. Only reason Yao become the highest paid player on this team is because your franchise player got hurt that's all. Call it like it is! Yao is a second tier good player, not a TOP TIER player. If you get rid of that injury prone FRANCHISE player and replace him with another real franchise player. pair him up with Yao. Trust me, this team will be contender immediately. Every team need at least 2 good to great players to go deep in this league. Look at KG. He was top notch PF since he been in the league. He didnt win shiet by himself.

16. GloryDays 94-95

At this point, he doesn't need to be the man on this rockets team. He may be the face of the franchise, but not the man. For example in Dallas, Dirk was the face of the franchise. But when it came down to the crunch in the past, Finley and Terry took the big shots. They did that until Dirk became ready to become that closer that they needed. To me it is somewhat unexcusable to get only six shots. As a big man, you have to play with energy. Off. rebounds and putbacks should be your role if they cant get the ball to him. And continue to be a deterrent on the def. end. Just keep surrounding Yao around more complete players and this issue won't keep biting us in the arse.

17. apxn82

apxn82 Member

did anyone of you watch the orlando game last night? how points did THE BEST CENTER in the league got? how shot did BEST CENTER IN LEAGUE took?

18. MadMax

i agree with everything you just said. no argument. yao is a very good player. i just don't think he can be "the man" on a championship team. and i don't see anyone on that roster who is capable of being that.

you can try to duplicate the pistons team that snuck up and won that title a few years back...but the examples of that are few. the nba is usually about the greatest players shining in the big moments and winning rings.

19. MadMax

if you believe dwight howard is the greatest center in the league...and i think yao is better...he's still not good enough to carry a team to the finish line. so the point you're trying to make is off-target.

20. apxn82

apxn82 Member

i dont believe D-12 is the best in the league myself. Just quoting about 99% of the fans in this league. Well if 99% and all the NBA analysts think you're the best in this league, shouldnt you be good enuff to carry a team? if that's not enuff than then people need to get OFF OF YAO's NUTZ