1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The league has figured Yao out, or Rick is a bad coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketman101, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rocketman101

rocketman101 Member

then the league has finally figured out after 7 years how to stop yao completely .

I wanted to post this after game 1,but since it was a blowout,everyone would have thought I was panicking. I watched the second half of game one, and Yao did not shoot 1 shot ,he was front a few times then foul trouble. But for those limited minutes in the second half he had ZERO touches and that was after an amazing first half going 9 for 9. I didnt think Yoa slacked off, I thought to myself that portland has figured out how to stop him,(just like the dallas game)

So, I wanted to start this thread then, I was so worried about game 2 I didnt watch last night because I knew that portland would use the same strategy in games 2,3,4,5,6,7 and possibly win the entire series even though Rockets dominated game 1.

I was right. IN game 2 Yao was completely out of the game.

Some here are blaming Rick, some are blaming Yao, some are blaming teammates for not passing to Yao.

So here it is,

a) if Rick is a good coach, then the teammates would have a gameplan to pass to yao and get yao involved. Yao would have 20+ points easily,and even if Rockets lose, atleast Yao was involved . But that didnt happen.Yao was not involved, whose fault is it?

or

b)rick is a bad coach because teammates didnt get yao involved,there was no gameplan to counteract portlands new defense on yao

or

c)rick is a good coach, he has been in 2 finals..the teammates did have a gameplan to get yao the ball, they were prepared by rick for the new defense on yao, but yao is to slow to attack the basket,isnt quick enough to pass to whoever is open when the double team comes on the weakside,so fronting and weakside double makes Yao completely useless and it took 7 years for the league to figure it out .

so which is it? is yao just to slow to counteract fronting and weakside doubles? or is Rick a horrible coach? You may not take this thread seriously at the moment but if the Rockets drop one at home this will be a serious topic.

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

This has been discussed at least 10 other times before in various threads.

3. jackey_ji

jackey_ji Member

It sounds very reasonable

4. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I can always tell, when i read the title of a thread, if the poster has under 100 posts. ;)

5. ThaShark316_28

LOL @ people thinking that wording a thread differently means its NOT the same thread...Really clutchfans??? Really?

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

or yao just doesn't know what to do???? a coach can't tell you what to do and go out and do it for you too right? or can he?

7. ibm

ibm Member

seattle figured akeem out a long time ago. :rolleyes:

8. t_mac1

that's' ONE TEAM. every player struggles or plays well v. a particular team. any team can do this to yao. that's the problem.

it's a given: front yao, you neutralize him. there's no particular team.

9. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Yao doesn't know how to play the mental game with the refs. Instead of being invisible the entire game, why didn't he just bully his way to the hoops despite all the flops? Just let the refs foul him out in the first 5 minutes of the game and David Sterm would force the refs to adjust. That's how Shaq managed to play his game and dominate.

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Everyone has been pretty much saying this, the lack of a legit scorer/creator is probably the culprit.

11. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

Yao misses a healthy Tmac. simple as that. :) i dare anybody front Yao when Tmac blows by them.

12. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

I believe that the fault is on the other players,
    the rockets can not get the ball to Yao not because we don't have good passers but our players are not willing to pass the ball to Yao.
    Look at Aaron, Ron, Wafer, or even Kyle Lowry sometimes.
    Rick has to get these players tamed and learn that we do NOT have a big three nor a big two (without a healthy t-mac), but we only have the Big YAO, the Great Wall. Our players has to seek out Yao a lot more in order for this team to succeed. Just look at Game 1, they got the ball to Yao, he did his thing and we blew them out EASILY.
    People might ask why Artest is not a "Big" on the Rockets, this is because:
    -He is NOT as smart as Yao or T-mac (even an injured one)
    -He is NOT as good a passer as T-mac or any other players on the team
    -Now I know he brings toughness to the team, but he sometimes can get overboard and shoot the team out of the game.
    -People says he brings good D, but does he really?? Brandon Roy drove pass him on multiple occasions and had an easy layup, now that's not what I call good D.
    Please don't flame me for this, just my opinion :p

13. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

GREAT advice!
    i always wondered how Shaq solved the dreadful fronting problem.
    however, Yao is too nice of a person to do that probably.

14. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

How did Yao do Saturday night? oh ya, perfect.

15. jlwee

jlwee Member

3 different coaches, tons of players in rockets uniform in the last 7 years. One common factor remained, Yao himself, and the fronting issue still remains.
    Who to blame?

Maybe Yao should pick up his cell phone and call Hakeem or Shaq on their advices how to beat the fronting defense!

16. aws311

aws311 Member

it might just be the gameplan D: Yao is the bait only. the only problem was that rest parts didnt work well enough, such as FT, D Roy.

17. t_mac1

QFT. /thread.

yao can solve the fronting defense BY HIMSELF if he adds certain things to his game. this should be his goal this offseason.

18. ibm

ibm Member

that's one team alright. but imagine dream having to fight the same (illegal) defense EVERY night.

19. t_mac1

dream is too skilled/athletic/so many moves from inside and outside to not eventually adjust.

it's like how the spurs exposed lebron for his lack of a jumpshot in the finals 2 years ago. what did lebron do? go and keep improving his jumper or else he'll be flawed and easily stopped when he faces great defenses.

like i said, EVERY player struggles against a particular defense/team...for whatever reasons, but the great ones always figure it out.

this has gone on with yao for YEARS, against any team who wants to front him. and we ALL KNOW the results of the fronting when it does happen.

PS - great players usually face illegal defenses.

20. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I agree. I think we need to come to the realization that Yao has some things that severely limit him and try to focus on getting him the ball other than the block.