1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Straw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why is it that all of a sudden you right wingers care about the poor when it comes to straws but you don't give a damn about the millions and millions in this country that literally live 10 feet from their own feces?

as if the poor even depend on straws

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

yep yep. everyone on the right hates the poor, women, minorities, etc...........

If something doesn't make sense to you, first check your assumptions.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Speaking locally, I think I already addressed this. I do not think it is feasible to think that anti-litter campaigns and infrastructure can completely eliminate the problem.

I also already addressed this. It is more expensive and difficult to produce (of course this will only improve with time and tech) but the result for the environment is better long term. Even accounting for "proper" disposal. Your Nat Geo article supports this.

I don't really know, and I don't think you do either. I'm banking that the long term benefit of bio (especially given future advancements in the technology) is worth pursuing and advancing around the world. None of that is to take away from the benefits of exporting our infrastructure advancements to the rest of the world, either.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

its not better for the environment if its costing more energy. that's the point.

of course we know. go google prices for biodegradable vs plastic forks. It costs twice as much. why? because it costs more to make. more energy and more man power. thats not good for the environment or the poor. This doesn't even get into the fact that biodegradable stuff falls apart.

#64 tallanvor, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  5. DonnyMost

Not every environmental decision comes down to immediate carbon output.

If I shave .000001lbs off the carbon footprint but the material decomposes 1000x slower (or has a harmful decomposition cycle)... etc.

There are a few other factors at play.

I'm not sure you can extrapolate "higher price = worse for the environment".

That's a sufficient condition, but not a necessary one.

Also, the whole point of biodegradable material is that it falls apart.

#65 DonnyMost, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Everything I can find supports PLA straws having twice the carbon footprint by mass as PP straws. Some like to cheat and include energy of combustion of the feedstock material which is antithetical to the point of the calculation.

7. DonnyMost

Would you be offended if I asked you for a link?

(No bamboozle)

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think you would be better looking for it on your own because I was looking at publications. The caveats are forming the PLA straws (and the bendy bit) takes more effort, feedstock being included and "great new process!" to make PLA carbon friendly but no one using it.

I think bioplastics have a good future and are 65 years behind in the race to make them more efficiently. But on the other hand LyondellBasell makes 35% of the worlds PP and is based in Houston so **** this ban.

9. DonnyMost

double post

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

you seem only defend them when it suits your arguments. At other times you are more than happy to ignore their plight.

No, you don't hate the poor or women - you just are indifferent to them. As for minorities - perhaps you in particular don't hate them, but I would venture that you'd be happier if they were no longer in your life.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I can see dirty cops planting straws on people in order to put them in jail.

I guess once they legalized weed they needed another way of locking up all the black people. #CaliforniaSoProgressive

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You fail to read the OP

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Jesus Christ. Liberals whine about the oddest things.

Straws, man. We talkin' about straws...

14. TheresTheDagger

I tried really hard in my original post to make this subject funny...because its so over the top weird.

Man, did I overestimate my audience....

(yeah I know....its SO IMPORTANT!!!11!11ELEVEN1!!)

Carry on.

B-Bob and cml750 like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Liberals aren't the ones whining. It's wingnuts talking about straws being a boon for the poor. .

I'll play though. Lead paint, man. We talking about lead paint. Or asbestos man, we talking about asbestos or hair spray man, we talking about hair spray. Cigarettes man, we talking about cigarettes. DDT man, we talking about DDT.

:rolleyes:

16. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Tallanvor is a liberal?? Did not notice that in his D&D postings :D

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You fail to have opinions that do not mimic those of Fortune 500 CEOs.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No YOU are important and very funny!

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

In other words you just are making stuff up and pulling crap out of your ass