1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The KPJ experiment is a failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jan 10, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why are we insistent on making him a PG?

A good PG has a particular skillset - ball handling, vision, IQ that doesn't describe any of KPJs best attributes.

This whole thing feels like groupthink.

Why not try equally hard to turn Garuba into a C? It would make equal sense.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Garuba at C might be worth while with enough reps though..

napalm06 likes this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

with potential, he's the closest the rockets got right now

Bobbythegreat and DaDakota like this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Rockets were close enough to win this game because KPJ wasn't playing PG for the whole game. Silas staggering his minutes and running him with JC and DJ was great just to get the ball out of his hands..

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Kpj benefited from our team sucking last year .

he also had wall as a direct example to play like .

he’s learning what type of player he is and wants to be , just like the coaching staff is .

I think he is more 2 than 1 . He reminds me of a sixth man type that can get hot . I see great defensive and offensive potential. If he can get his offense consistent he can be a starter . Depending on the size of the other guards he can be a “3”

tate / green/ Christopher are big enough to ply the other 2 spots if that’s what designation the coach gives them .

lineups with Gordon/kpj/JC/ Tate/ theis looked nice and imagine that group with sengun . Ideally you move wood for another forward you can play with the green/Gordon/kpj/Tate/Christopher 1-3 grouping...(and sengun/theis). I don’t think it’s garrison Matthews. Could garuba get a shot ? You might even be able to find someone offensively limited if everyone’s shooting gets better

we prolly try to sell high on Eric too . I’d be ok keeping him too .

Back to kpj , he is still a good project to have. We have enough mature voices who are in control . I think y’all are underestimating Silas. Gordon , dj , assistant coaches , theis , nwaba , Wall etc

KPJ has some maturing to do , and we have some good structure in place to help him . Has one of the highest potentials on the team .

just lacks in the focus and conditioning aspects of the game . He should do some breathing work

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His heroics have won the team 2 games in the past week and a half they easily could have lost at a time when they are trying to tank. END THE EXPERIMENT NOW!!

clos4life, amaru and hakeem94 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

alperen sengun is the best PG on rockets and its not even close

juanming and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No he isn't he would turn it over again and again if he tried to dribble it up, he is a great passing power forward/center but he can't be a PG bringing the ball up.

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. napalm06

That's fine, because yeah Stone forgot to pick up at PG at the store, but we don't need to stick with it like it's some long-term plan.

harold bingo likes this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think they're just giving him a lot of time because, as was already said, they don't have any other option at the moment. I guess unless you want to start DJ Augustin. I think they'll give him until the end of this year because if it works, then it's great for obvious reasons, but if it doesn't, then it helps us get a higher pick. So it's kind of a win/win from that perspective. I think at this stage of a rebuild it's worth it to swing big on these types of moves that have a low probability of success. I think if he's still playing like this by the end of the year they'll move on from him and grab another PG from the store for next year. Unsure if that means keeping him on the team in a different role or getting rid of him entirely, but I don't expect him to be the PG next year if he continues playing this way.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon LOL you are throwing away a great idea just because he couldnt always bring the ball up.. any scrub can bring the ball up and give it to sengun...whoever has the best handles and is playing alongside him..playing PG has nothing to do with bringing the ball up...and i bet you any money if you were to devote to alpi a month long experiment of bringing the ball up hed become better at it than KPJ....

juanming likes this.
  13. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This is NOT sustainable. KPJ is at his best when he doesn't have to multitask and is just focusing on scoring.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm fine with KPJ doing whatever as long as he isn't the one with the damn ball all the time. He looked natural working off DJ and JC.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Some people really do talk nonsense. Imagine saying Sengun is the best PG we have when you have a long-time veteran PG on the bench and an even better one in street clothes? Actually mental, haha.

16. napalm06

I don't want to start Augustin per se, but I'd like to see him and Green together more to see Green develop independently of KPJ.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Nix can't be dismissed either.

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Nix has a lot of potential but he really needs to work on his shot. He is currently Memphis Kyle Lowry. If he works on his shot and works with the strength and conditioning coaches on his fast twitch muscles he can be something. He’s got the intangibles you want for a pg.

clos4life likes this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

KPJ should be the backup 2 to Jalen. I would have the only PG that is actually a PG, DJ Augustin, run the floor for the team.