1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The KPJ experiment is a failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jan 10, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can say with a straight and honest face that I do not know who KPJ really is.

I do not pretend to know who he is and what he is about.

I can only say that I am pretty down on his potential.

The Rockets have no identity, how is KPJ going to find his identity on such a team?

Roomba and Dacamel like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah but KPJ & Green got next! They gonna run the league!
    KPJ is THE reason we’re winning games RIGHT NOW!
    How high would KPJ go in the (2021) draft? Top 2? Top 5 at worst?
    Franchise player! Borderline all-star!
    Haha we stole him from the Cavs! Cavs suck! Jarrett Allen LOL! We got KPJ!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If he drives off at halftime, you love him even more. - Stephen Silas
    If he gets ejected in the final minutes, you love him even more. - Stephen Silas
    If he shoots 3-11 & has 5 turnovers, you love him even more. - Stephen Silas
    If he goes to the strip club & goes into HSP, you love him even more. - Stephen Silas
    If he throws an object at you, you love him even more. - Stephen Silas
    If he doesn’t run back on defense (and yells at the ref), you love him even more. - Stephen Silas

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/porter’s-effort-level.311255/
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/iko-rockets-value-kpj’s-development-over-green’s.313757/

All you hear is hype, hype, hype. All you get is excuses.

But but but he scored 50 points! … 50 points later, he was anointed a franchise player.

When will the Rockets take the kid gloves off and stop walking on eggshells?

Afraid he’s gonna act out? Have an episode (again)? Throw something at them? Or worse?

#82 J.R., Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I've been noticing this too. Him and Wood need to go. We're losing anyways so it's time to fully rebuild.

4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

no surprising, cheap ferntits always loves the cheap things,
    even cutting down the costs on recruiting a legit pg,
    think about it, giving the ball to a waived sf to let him play the role as a facilitate-type of pg (in a nba team) is so stupid...smh

Wrong thread...lol

[​IMG]

#84 DeBeards, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Should have cut him when he attacked the coach. He is a horrible horrible player this year and the team loses 95% of the games he’s in. Looks high as a kite out on the court and would love to see if he could pass a drug test. Was fantastic last year but is a shell of that player and seems totally lost. Very sad, but it’s time to cut ties with him.

RockHarden and Dacamel like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

A pseudo PG that can't pass, can't shoot, and gets flustered easily. Pretty much the anti-CP3.

A stretch 4 that can't shoot, can't defend, can't set picks, can't pass, and can't rim protect. Like if LaMarcus Aldridge was skinnier and couldn't shoot.

Both have quit on the team at least once this season. This is who we're starting.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its interesting to see how many different ideals have chosen their hills to die on this season. Some going out of their ways to ridicule and trash certain players and others looking for silver linings and lights at the end of tunnels. This was a lost season before it began, but somehow we argue as if we are a playoff team with only a few tweaks needed to be contending. This is going to be a marathon rebuild and some of you guys are going to run out of steam with all the negative energy you expend. Its YEAR ONE of the rebuild which will probably take THREE YEARS -- pace yourself! :D

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am willing to give Porter this wasted/tanked season to find the balance that he needs to between being a scorer and a facilitator. His shot abandoning him in the midst of a position transition has made things look not only unnatural but has made him look like he belongs in another league quite frankly. He needs to have simple reads as a facilitator and have plays called that put him in advantageous spots to score. Unfortunately he plays for a coach that likes to let the players figure things out and that is the last thing this roster needs. They need structure on the court, even if you are their friend off of it.

Imanimal and DaDakota like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I agree with this, KPJ is on the cusp, he could be out of the league, a decent starter, or a 6th man - or outside shot at star......we don't know, and that is what the org is trying to find out.

He is also playing a new position and has serious ups and downs there - but there has been improvement.

Does that mean he is a success at PG, hell no, right now he pretty much stinks more than half the time, plays too slow, doesn't see the pass quickly enough and jumps in the air with nowhere to go far too often.

But, his turnovers are down, and his assists are up - and would be much higher if his teammates could shoot......so, being this is a rebuilding year, we are stuck with finding out if he can do it, if not, he is probably out, sooner than later.

For me, I want to see what NIX can do, he was a 5 star PG recruit in the same class, and played in the Gleague just like Green.....

DD

Hank McDowell, daywalker02 and Roomba like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3064221/202...alen-green-and-rest-of-houstons-young-roster/

Sam Vecenie: […] On top of that, I don’t really love the Kevin Porter Jr. experience on offense in terms of being a developmental tool for the rookies, specifically. While Porter himself is seen as a developmental piece for the Rockets — and I think it’s reasonable to get him game time and experience to work through his flaws — I don’t think he makes life easy on the other Rockets youngsters. His mix with Jalen Green hasn’t been particularly good because, while Porter is a capable passer, they’re both much more comfortable looking to score. That leads to a lot of over-dribbling and things kind of happening on Porter’s terms out there. Right now, he’s not efficient enough as a player in terms of his decision-making to make his teammates better. He’s a walking turnover, as he has the second-highest turnover rate in the NBA among the 220 players to have played at least 600 minutes so far this season. On top of that, he has a 47.0 true-shooting percentage that is eighth-worst among all of those 220 players. Genuinely, I’m not sure there is a player in the NBA who has been more harmful to his team’s bottom line in terms of playing positive offensive basketball than Porter this season. The team is 26th in offensive efficiency over the full season, and I think Porter and the early-season spacing are the prime reasons why.

Kelly Iko: Personally, I still don’t think there have been enough games to make definitive calls on the experiment. I’ve seen games where he’s looked uncomfortable just like I’ve seen games where he’s looked poised and mature on the ball. I think for young players, especially ones like Porter, you’ll have those peaks and troughs. The turnovers have been high, but I really think their spacing affected decision-making more than what advanced stats can tell us. He’s up to 5.8 assists and 2.3 turnovers per game in the new year — an improvement from the 5.3 turnovers in the first month. I’m not saying he has to be Chris Paul in Year 4 of the rebuild, but if he’s giving out 6-7 assists and can keep the turnovers reasonable — and Green’s playmaking improves — they might be OK. Maybe it’s just me, but the Rockets looking bad has had a spillover effect on all parties involved. Porter’s scoring is down, which tends to make other parts of his game — confidence, decision-making, shot selection — amplified. His ejection during last night’s blowout loss to Philly says that internal frustration.

Vecenie: Yeah, and let me be clear: I think it’s completely reasonable for the Rockets to continue with the experiment of Porter at the point. Again, the team is bad, they should be trying to get their talented players with future upside as much game time as possible. They shouldn’t abandon him. I just also think it’s worth acknowledging that Porter has been really ineffective thus far in the time he’s gotten. Because of that, I’d probably experiment at times with Green getting even more reps with other guys at the lead spot just to see what works and what doesn’t. But the key for Porter really is the shooting and decision-making, and that stuff seems fixable. The gifts he has — the herky-jerky ability to create separation, the innate creativity he has in his game off the bounce — are things you can’t teach and are translatable to the NBA. He just needs to fix the final product. Whether or not that happens is up to him and his work ethic.

Iko: With Porter and Green, I really think Houston should stagger them more rigorously to really see how they operate alone, much like the team did with James Harden and CP3.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

bolded from what @J.R. posted

Genuinely, I’m not sure there is a player in the NBA who has been more harmful to his team’s bottom line in terms of playing positive offensive basketball than Porter this season.

yet we got a thread talking about how KPJr has the most to do with us winning…

13. MystikArkitect

The fear is of the unknown. I think a lot of posters, myself included, are concerned that this organization is actually going to try and proceed with KPJ as some sort of centerpiece. We could be wrong and the organization is just entertaining him because it's a win/win scenario. If he does well, they struck gold on a flyer they took for basically nothing. If he does bad, then we get a high draft pick and discard him in due time. Christian Wood is a different story because I think everyone knows he's a goner. Wood included. This team's effort level, especially defensively, dropped significantly after Wood and KPJ quit in the same game. I do wish KPJ had just missed that stupid shot so we can just get on with this inevitability already.

If the idea is to lose, then just let the rookies like Garuba and Sengun get their feet wet in certain scenarios. Right now they still trot Wood and KPJ out there like they're trying to prove something. Maybe trade value? I could watch this team lose 60-70 games knowing that at least I get to see Jalen Green, Sengun, Garuba or Jaygup give me a reason to look forward to the future. Instead I have to watch KPJ and taller KPJ air out the ball to take a contested shot because they have little ability to much else.

Garuba and Sengun are natural passers. Jaygup and Tate are natural bulldogs. Jalen green is a natural scorer and a supreme offensive talent. Mathews and Brooks are natural snipers. These are innate talents all of these players possess. And we can't really see much of it because of...well you know who.

14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Said it before, KPJ showed us everything we need to know when Green went to Lucas' practices in the mornings and KPJ doesn't.

You are who you are by year 3, and in year 3, KPJ has the worst WS/48 of any non-rookie starter in the NBA, only Jalen Suggs is worse.

15. OkayAyeReloaded

I need to see a trend of improvement, and consistency starting to develop.

I like potential like anyone else, but I learned to look past that and focus on consistent habits/trends and long term results. I'm also big on mental strength, as thats what seperates good from great players.

The light may come on and he'll fulfill his potential perhaps, but right now I haven't seen it.

This year and next year are his chances, then a decision has to be made, but I wouldn't overpay for unfulfilled potential in year 5+

DaDakota likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

100% spot on.

DD

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

For a guard..why can't he even have a passable FT%? 60% is absolute trash. This applies to his quit-buddy Wood too. Free throws are mostly mental. Two peas in a pod these mental midgets.

You would think he would come in extra to work on that but he's skipping Lucas's practices frequently. What else is he doing? Green is showing up to every single one.

Get these knuckleheads off this team already.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

You never hear about how much of hard worker KPJ is. Instead Lucas implies that he hopes KPJ will start showing up more. Come the F on. You're shooting 60% from the free throw line which is worse than Dwight Howard..embarassing. This kid gets the keys to a starting position and peaces out when he's get called out for not playing hard enough. Twitter-heads making excuses are enabling this spoiled brat behavior. Worse than Silas.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, we should have known when KPJ didn't play in summer league when he was supposed to be learning a new position.

Even JC went to that NBA pre-draft scrimmage thing for fringe draft picks trying to raise their draft stock when everyone told him he didn't have to do it. JC asking Silas about drive and kicks when he didn't have to (Silas obviously didnt tell JC to do it because he sure as hell not telling KPJ to do it). JC working on his shot more than KPJ before and after games.

Just tankful the rookies are hard workers, just get these other guys out of here.

Tuckankhamun and tehG l i d e like this.