1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Knicks and the promise of 2010...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Any one think the Knicks are setting themselves up for a millennial disappointment next year? In poker terms, they are basically going "all in" and are expecting to win the Lotto. Despite claims to the contrary by so-called experts, I still do not think they have a better chance than any other team in landing the big names. Signing Bosh or Amar'e by themselves would be insufficient in the Knicks' case, they pretty much have to pair them up with "first option" guys (Lebron and Wade are really the only players who qualify). Even then, there is no guarantee they can get Bosh or Amar'e.

I just think it is a huge gamble for any team, which really does make me wonder if NYK knows something that we don't...like some type of a wink and a nod or a handshake agreement with a big name player and they feel confident enough in taking such calculated risks.

I am actually starting to feel sorry for Knicks fans having to deal with such uncertainties and unfulfilled promises.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I just hope NY does their best to give us the best possible 1st round picks.

3. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Predicted Starting lineup by me:

Duhon
    Lebron
    TMAC
    Amare
    LEE

Pretty f'n good....

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm in the camp that believes if they don't get LeBron, the Knicks will remain a train-wreck for years. LBJ holds the future of that franchise in his hands. They have bet the farm on one player. I hope he doesn't go there and the Knicks continue to crash and burn.

I say that despite have great respect for Knicks fans, who deserve better.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How exactly do they get LeBron, Amare AND Lee? It's impossible because after signing 2 max players, they won't have enough to pay Lee.

6. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

untrue... They sign Lebron and Amare... They hold Bird rights for Lee so they can sign him for whatever afterwards

7. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I think they'll get LeBron and Wade. Then T-Mac will probably sign up for cheap.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well I don't know about all that, watching big name players go into NYC and the excitement that produces in the Garden, it is almost tragic that the Knicks are no longer one of the premier teams in the league. They have easily the best fans in the game, and the Garden is just a crazy place for basketball. They certainly deserve better and I think the league would love nothing more than watch excitement return to MSG.

I really don't think they are getting Lebron or Wade though, and I think it will be a mistake for them to have put all their eggs in one basket. I think what they are doing is pretty much unprecedented. It is bold, but bold can also be stupid.

9. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

In order to clear enough cap space to sign LeBron and Amare to max contracts, they will have to renounce the rights to every free agent on their roster (in order to release the FA's cap hold), which includes both Lee and McGrady.

10. Simos05

Simos05 Member

Actually to sign to max players in FA, they have to renounce Lee's bird rights. So if they do sign two max FA's, then they can only sign players to the league minimum after that.

Also once they renonunce the rights to all the players and get under the LT, they will lose the MLE and LLE. So if they do sign two max FA's it is pretty much assured that Lee will not be wearing a knicks uni ever again.

11. sbyang

sbyang Member

I think they'll have a hard time getting Lebron or Wade. They have a chance at Bosh and a terrific chance at Amare. I think if they let Amare's agent know they'll pay the max then he'll definitely sign. I think they will be able to sign someone with the 2nd max contract, maybe splitting it between 2 guys.

In other words, they'll be an average team for years to come unless they get Lebron or Wade.

12. PeppermintCandy

Even if they don't get James, Bosh, or Wade, they can still end up with some good players, re-sign Lee, and have the option to pick up McGrady if he works out. And they may decide to save some money to be a player in the next off-season.

Not the James/Bosh dream team, but still much better than where they were a season or two ago.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Wade will stay in Miami or go to Chicago (my dream). At this point, I think Amare will go to the Heat if Wade stays there. LeBron will either stay in Cleveland or go to New York. Bosh is a wild card and the only sure thing is he's leaving the Raptors to go somewhere. I used to think JJ was definitely leaving the Hawks but he might stay if things go well enough the rest of season.

14. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I'd have to think of all the max money destinations, Chicago would be one of the more popular ones considering they will Derrick Rose, a budding star in his own right manning the point. I don't know what the cap situation is or if there is enough money for two max contracts but the Bulls certainly have the assets for a SnT. If Wade decides to leave Miami, I could see Chicago as an attractive destination, especially if the Bulls can coax Bosh/Toronto or Amare/Phoenix into a SnT deal.

I don't see why Joe Johnson would leave a good situation in Atlanta considering the youth and potential there and the face they can pay him the most.

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just hope they get the #2 pick in 2011, and the #6 pick in 2012. :grin:

17. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

tracy mcgrady looks pretty good out there, I think if Mcgrady remains this consistent, the knicks only need to get one superstar

18. Chamillionaire

Lebron, Wade aren't going anywhere. they're best chance is to get either bosh or amare and another border-line all-star. i seriously doubt Lebron is leaving, i mean they are going to the finals year in year out.

19. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Even if they strike out on Lebron, Wade and Bosh the knicks should be able to still put a decent team together. They won't be contenders but should compete for a 5-8 seed in a still pretty weak eastern conference.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That isn't good enough considering what the Knicks have been the last few years.