1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The KJ Martin Jr thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Mar 14, 2021.

1. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

What position is KJ lately or has he been playing better at ? Small forward or power forward ?

2. vince

vince Member

Imagine if KJ Martin was 6’8-6’10”, he’d be a Superstar front court player, with MVP written all over him.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is a power small forward......

All we need now is a true stretch PF, to play along with Sengun.....that can also block shots.....ala Robert Horry.

DD

hajkov, vince and Bo6 like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lol stop. he would be better but being taller doesn't make him a much different player on the offensive side of the game than he already is.

biggest problem is he can't create his own shot and that doesn't change with size.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

jabari smith?

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He’s complimentary and knows his role. With Wood Tate kpj and Gordon starting, too many of those gm guys are ball Dominant or like to do too much once the ball is in their hands. And it’s. It quick decisive either. KJ either shoots, attacks or pass the ball. It’s a good balance to the starting line becsue we have too many SECONDARY ball handlers who want to primarily ball handlers. I’d start KJ. You don’t lose much on the defensive side froM him versus Tate but Tate might compliment Wood bette in the defense of end ie guard the player Wood is afraid to get physical too.

Also our offense has be come compromise a bit with Tate becsue defense are shying off of him on the perimter and daring him to shoot and winning that gamble. KJ makes em for for that gamble

Zen Tabak likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Looked a little shaky at the beginning, but was solid as the game went on . Didn’t make any massive mistakes as far as I can tell and hit a couple of clutch shots .

I still like Tate more . But kmj also has a high ceiling .

to me , his biggest weakness is his handle/wrists . I’ve seen so many players rip the ball out of his hands . Should be doing 1000 wrists curls a day .

Decent looking shot , good athleticism fo sho . Can he learn to use it on D and O more ?

8. Sen89

Sen89 Member

KJ's the most underrated player on our team. Low-USG, high-efficiency Wing/Forward who can guard multiple positions, actually knows how to cut/play off-ball, and is one of the best leapers in the L. Throw in the fact he's become a respectable 3-point shooter as well, and it's honestly super impressive for him to be as efficient as he is (at 21) with us having the worst PG play in the league this year.

I honestly don't even care much about his ball-handling limitations -- sure it'd be nice if he can develop more in that area, but we have enough guys who need the ball moving forward (especially if we add a quality PG to the roster this offseason). I've always followed the Draft pretty closely, but I really didn't pay much attention to him as a prospect coming out in 2020. Great under-the-radar draft day acquisition.

To have him for 2 more years at 3.6 million combined is a crazy steal, he's gonna get a big payday in 2024. He's the type of guy every team can use.

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

Great piece on the kid w/ clips provided

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I’d like to see him to move to SF, be able to use his size as more of an advantage, have him try to develop more of a handle to diversify his game. 6’5 215 PF can only do so much in the paint.

sydmill likes this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Can he be this one day for us?

12. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Great article, thanks!

lionaire likes this.