1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The JVG Prophecies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by whoisray, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

It is pretty stunning the number of apologists that still exist on this board despite three separate trips to the playoffs, and having 2 game leads in 2 of the 3 series and STILL LOSING!!!! (Record settin blowout in Dallas, homecourt loss this year).

At least Riley had some success (Rings) before the fiasco with the Heat/Knicks and the Ankle-biting JVG.

And, at least Adelman playoff success before and after the loss to the Lakers you mentioned.

You'll notice that I didn't mention anything about the individual players (Vspan or Bonzi) because those have now been made clear by both player and coach, but for you to throw up either Chuck or Luther is ridiculous.

Luther played in 2005/2006 because he was a 1st rnd pick and continued to play more due to the entire roster being on I.R.

Chuck earned his time, but it's not like JVG had LOTS of options. Juwann struggled then had a legit heart infection and Stromile....well, you get the point there I hope.

There have been players publicly admit a desire to play elsewhere than be forced into a job working for JVG. I've seen the quotes on this board. I'll look for some in the coming days just to help with your recovery from JVG withdrawal.

The guy's a tool, I never wanted him here, yet I agreed to eat crow if he got us out of Round 1 and he NEVER did!!! Now he's an "analyst" and prognosticator... too bad he didn't have a crystal ball at the end of game 7 against Utah!!!

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sure are a lot of excuses in the above post. guess its only a 1 way street :rolleyes:

3. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

Yeah, but Adelman's record prior to losing the elimination game at home wasn't clearly superior to Van Gundy's, given that the latter coached a Knick team to the finals. More importantly, however, bringing up Adelman's success after the event is just evidence that despite the loss in 2002, he is, in fact, a coach "worth his salt".

I think a lot of people (me included!) are ready to validate your dislike of Van Gundy... in future, just consider avoiding the sweeping generalizations from which you are now retreating...

Either way, go rocks...

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

Adelman has taken a team to the finals twice.. And to the conference finals once.. Lost to the Detroit Bad boys and a prime MJ and Pippen led Bulls.

Gave a Stockton, Hornacek, Marlone Utah Jazz a run for their money a year after having gone to the finals, with Chris Webber, Vlade Divac and a raw erratic rookie.. Jason Williams as the PG.

That loss to the 2002 Lakers wasn't exactly undeniably fair and square..

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

Malone * ^

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Some of you act like JVG took over a western conference finalist or something. The fact is we were are perenial lottery team more often than not the 6 years prior to JVG. Sure I would have liked to go further than we did in the playoffs, but let's not act like we were favorites to go to the finals by anyone not posting on these forums.

At any rate I don't really see the point in posting more threads bashing JVG. Personally I still believe it was more roster oriented failure than coaching failure behind our problems, but we shall see. Whether justified or not JVG is no longer the coach, and hopefully Adelman and Morey can lead the Rockets to a higher level than JVG and CD could.

7. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

I agree... he's a very good coach with an impressive record that happens to include losing an elimination game at home.

8. Panda

Panda Member

When JVG quit on the Knicks, they were old and worn out. The same thing happening with the Rockets is not acceptable. I wouldn't want to watch a ringless team featuring an old Mac, an old Yao and a bunch of low talent geezers masquerading as Championship role players, while a small guy jumps up and down at the sideline. I wouldn't call that fun. There's no future siding with a guy who trades future for present gains, especially, when the present gains have been jokes featuring consequtive breaking all time low records. It's mind boggling there is still packs of JVG remnants thinking high of him. We have traded away future without gaining now.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, what? What future did we trade away - ps, if you write "nachbar" you should ban yourself from watching NBA games if you think that dork was the future of the NBA.

Wake up man, the rockets problems go a lot deeper and start with number 1 and number 11.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Jeff Van Stumpy is the worst thing to ever happen to the Rockets.

11. Panda

Panda Member

LOL.Seems you have gone AWOL in the last four years.

First, tell me how many roster spots were wasted by JVG on Ex Knicks geezers which could have been used to foster young prospects? He has brought so many geezers on this team I forgot how many, can you count for me?

How about trading away young prospects for veterans? Nachbar is pretty productive, Battier hasn't been much in the playoffs, you get the point?

How about burning bridges with future free agents by cutting Anderson, trading Stromile back to his old team, and sitting Bonzi on the bench all the time? It's not like Bonzi was so bad he couldn't play 5 minutes a night.

Despite doing all of these, we get our butt whipped in the first round everytime in the playoffs, while breaking all kind of shy records. The truth is out there, just some people are reluctant to see it.

JVG traded away future for the present when the present has been embarrassing. I have no objection in trading away future for now, but the bottomline is now must be there. If not, see ya.

12. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

JVG was FIRED. Get over it.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

But his record prior to the elimination game was 'clearly superior' to JVG's..

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I object to this thread on the basis that it invites JVG bashing and gives donkeymagic an invitation to channel his peculiar JVG fixation... for the 2nd thousandth time.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The reality is the Rockets were a coin flip to beat Utah at best. In reality we only had home court due to a monumental amount of under achieving down the stretch by Utah, and a ton of over achieving on the rockets part when Yao was out. We lost to a team that clearly had a superior roster. That isn't to say coaching errors were never made or that a different coach couldn't get a better result. But I still think the core issues relate alot more to who was on the roster rather than who was coaching the roster.

Considering we have both a new GM and a new coach, we will never really know who to credit and who to blame for the next years results in comparison to last year. Some fans blame JVG for the roster. The Rockets have maintained that CD was in charge of all the moves, but I'm sure the reality is both had input. I do find it odd to think that Jeff would be responsible for the roster, yet wouldn't play "his picks" in Bonzi, VSpan, Novak, insert rocket who didn't play. I also find it amusing to hear people say we should have been building for the future as if they wouldn't have still been crying for him to be fired regardless if we didn't advance in the playoffs.

We will see if the rookies and Mike James make a huge difference or if the new offense is the key to our success. But lets not act like either JVG or Adelman took over teams that anyone outside of Rockets fans predict to go to the finals this past year or next.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Did someone mention JVG Prophecies?

Couple of them come to mind....

1) Can go deep in playoffs with Rafer.
    2) Can win the big one with all defense/no offence.
    3) Can be successful in playoffs with JHo.
    4) Who needs a bench?!

A certain 7 game series and a game 7 (at home) in particular debunked all of the above and more....

Prophets don't get fired!

17. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

The JVG prophecies = The Vspan Monologues

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

JVG specifically said ("prophecied"?) he thought the Rockets will do well under Adelman this year.

I don't understand where the JVG Prophecies are supposed to be some dark scenario.

JVG nevers said anything about Bonzi or Spanoulis not being able to play in the NBA ever again, either. He just didn't play them much because the team did better with other players.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

JVG is spending time with his family enjoying life with millions of dollars in the bank. He can be on TV if he wants to and he has great relationships with many NBA players. Said he really has good neighbors here in Houston in a very nice neighborhood.

Not bad for a short bald loser.

It's hilarious he is getting trashed by us who have it all together. :D

Go Rick Aldeman, may you also have to face a hot Utah team with Chuck Hayes at power forward, Rafer Alston at PG and Shane Battier at 2 guard. A tired center who has no quickness, a reluctant #1 scorer who settles for passes and jump shots.
    May your bench be better than Head, Deke, and Howard. Enjoy the praise you are getting for your offensive genius. And may Aaron Brooks become Tony Parker, Carl Landry become Carlos Boozer and Mike James- the 6' MJ :D

20. peterlake144

peterlake144 Member

I retract that statement... :)