1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Joy of discovering Music - The Delgados

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Win, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

Over the past few months I have become a HUGE fan of the Scottish band 'The Delgados'. I like them so much I hardly know where to start, but for FFB's benefit I will find a way ;)

The Delgados are hardly a new band on the scene, just relatively unknown in the states. I had read a couple good reviews about them, but the clincher to take a flyer on a band I had never heard a single song from was the Dave Fridman connection whom so uniquely produced perhaps my favorite lp of the 21'st century 'Soft Bulletin' by the 'Flaming Lips'.

I first bought 'Hate' (their 5th lp) and upon first listen it just sort of breezed by with nothing standing out other than the familiar Fridman production flourishes - strings, harps (the big ones), melotron and other such orchestration which can easily sound hokey or ponderous in the wrong hands. Still, I knew I would come to love this lp and after only a couple more spins I was a solid convert and it exceded my wildest expectations. This album is complete bliss! Sweeping, gritty and melodic all at the same time. The songwriting is top-notch and the melodies soaring. By comparison one might think of The Pxies (they are led by a male/female duo) the Beatles circa Abbey Road, The Smiths and of course the Flaming Lips.

I have just last week got their 4th lp 'The Great Eastern' and it is every bit as strong and leaving me eager to get anything and everything else they have ever recorded.

Ahh, it is really a joy to discover a new band or artist and know there is still more out there by them that I have yet to hear.

I would not ordinarily start a thread based on a single band I happen to stumble across, but I seem to remember them being mentioned here a time or two so thought I would see who responds, but more importantly, just wanted to spread the word.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

I thought they broke up?

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

they were good like 8 years ago..not so much into the last couple of records.

They used to run a hell of a record label.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I got into Arab Strap for a bit, never really listened to Delgados.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Oh yeah, if you like the great eastern you should check out teenage fanclub's latest album.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Interesting tip, Win - I'll check them out. Even if the rest of your tips turn out to be crap, you always had the tip on Roxy Music; therefore, any other tips you have are worth exploring by myself. :)

7. Win

Win Contributing Member

Hmm, I loved Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque, but it seemed each subsequent lp was a little worse and worse. Still, I shall give it a try on your recommendation. Thanks.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

i'd describe the fannie's lastest as mor-ish indie pop. it's a good listen but not great or exciting. to my ears the great eastern has a similiar sound. the go-between had an album from a few years back (that featured sleater kinney backing them) is another that i'd chuck into this category.

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

You won't be sorry, mi amigo ;)

10. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I'm a huge Teenage Fanclub, and the new album isn't good. Not bad, but it's boring and doesn't have a single memorable hook. Who are TFC without hooks?