1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jordan Comments...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by c0r0na21, Aug 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. c0r0na21

c0r0na21 Member

now that wade bosh n james are together do these old timers(no disrespect to jordan and magic) start talking about they would never join forces cause they were rivals. Ok i get that part but why when garnet allen n pierce joined forces no one was really saying anything like they're saying about the heat trio...Im just saying they also were rivals but they saw a great chance at winning a ring together and they joined together so why can't ppl just understand thats what the heat trio are trying to do....or is it cuz they're youth and how they might win more together then without each other..... ill see what yall think.

2. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

It's because Jordan has created the unrealistic expectations of winning by yourself, the myth of being "the Man". What Jordan did will never be recreated ever again. I'll be happy when this myth finally dies and we can go back to basketball being a team game, as it was in the Magic and Bird era.

3. Francis 4 ever

dream, timmy

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

uh, it's because KG, Allen, and Pierce were merely star players, while LeBron, Wade, Michael, Magic, Bird, etc are in a whole nother level of superstar; stars playing together do not guarantee championships; superstars playing together (along with yet another star), on the other hand, pretty much does...

5. DontTradeOswalt

Because LeBron was being compared to Jordan for some reason and people seem to believe Jordan won by himself....which he didn't

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Garnett, Allen and Pierce were brought together through trades. Neither Allen nor Garnett demanded to be traded to the Celtics, and more importantly, both guys were at the tail end of their primes and were the best players on teams going nowhere at the time.

LeBron, Wade and Bosh planned to sign together, and LeBron is just entering his prime and left a 60-win club to join someone else's team. It's a totally different situation.

Put it this way: It's unlikely that Pippen would have been in the Hall of Fame without Jordan. Jordan (in Chicago) never had a player that anyone would suggest was his equal.

Jordan didn't win by himself, but the Bulls were his team.

For the record, I don't think anyone on the Cavs was anywhere near as good as Pippen or Rodman, and he certainly didn't have a third player as good as Horace Grant. The Jordan comparisons were unfair from the get-go, IMO.

3 people like this.
  8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Your post implies that you're not happy with the old timer comments. I mean why else would you post this new thread. Right? Actually, that's ok cuz I think it was insecure for MJ to raise that as well. So, I'm on your side.

MJ supporters can talk about his legacy and how he won championships without a teammate superstar but in hindsight, in my opinion.. it's all about winning championships. If you can do it with better teammates, why not? Kudos for Wade, Bosh, and LeBron for collaborating together.

In the end, I'll still be rooting for the Rockets to kick their ass though. :cool:

9. dharocks

Because it seems to suggest, to most fans I think, that he's kind of a p*ssy

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So why is it upsetting for players to sign together, but not upsetting for GM's to sign a several stars at the same time?

11. dharocks

Probably because there's a salary cap, and/so what happened this summer is fairly unique, historically. People were talking about this free agency period three years ago.

Look at baseball. Would you argue that fans don't get upset with what the Yankees do through free agency? Also, how often does a GM's 'legacy' ever really come up?

1 person likes this.
  12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me, I'm more loyal to a team more than a player. If a GM builds a team that wins by making shrewd moves, it's the team that gets the credit. And as a fan I feel the accomplishment of my team. So when Lebron/Wade/Bosh conspired here, it feels artifical. It's almost as if the team isn't the Miami Heat, but "the team Lebron/Wade/Bosh created together".

Anyway, my own thoughts. I don't hate Lebron or Bosh or anyone. But as someone who has always rooted for my hometown teams(Astros, Oilers, Texans, Rockets), there's just something off about it.

13. Raven

Raven Member

The damage is done. LeChoke can win five in a row, and he'll still never be compared to Jordan. That ship has sailed. Pippin 2.0, book it.

14. DontTradeOswalt

No doubt Pippen is not a HOF without Jordan and the bulls were his team, all am saying is this whole "Jordan did it by himself" thing is silly, that's just my opinion thought

Personally I think LeBron can do whatever he wants, if he felt like the Cavs weren't good enough to win a title, then he shouldn't be stuck in Cleveland just because its his hometown. He doesn't owe **** to Cleveland, the only reason he's getting criticized like he is, is because of the way he left.

BTW, its real easy for Jordan and Magic to come out and say they would not have joined forces, but I wanna see what they would've done if they had the teammates LeBron did and they were both free agents.

15. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I think many people are missing the big picture here. The big three in Miami don't care about team nor the fans; they each want to win a championship. Period. Miami just happens to be the place to do it. If I were a player of that status, I'd probably do the same thing!

16. dharocks

That's fine. Apparently Jordan and Magic wouldn't.

17. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

they got traded there, not because they had a group meeting and say "hey lets all get together" and paul pierce and ray allen are not at the level of Lebron James and Dwayne Wade.

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Uhhh... so without Jordan in the mid-90s, Pippen averaged about 22 points, 8.5 boards, 5.5 assists, 3 steals, and 1 block for 2 seasons, and in fact is one of two players to ever lead his team in all 5 categories for an entire season. He's also in the conversation for the best perimeter defensive player to ever live. But he's not HoF with Jordan? Yes he is.

1 person likes this.
  19. dharocks

No, he's not, unless he sustains his career 93-94 season over the length of his career and wins a championship or two.

It's been very difficult for modern players to get elected to the Hall of Fame without winning a ring. Look at someone like Sidney Moncrief, a two-time defensive player of the year who hasn't made it into the Hall, or a guy like Bernard King. Hell, it took Adrian Dantley forever to get elected.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Pippen's numbers were superior to Moncrief's literally across the board. And as great a defender as Moncrief was, he didn't impact the game on defense the same way Pippen did. King was a great, great scorer, but not a whole lot else. And Dantley? Same thing as King. The fact that Dantley is in proves that Pippen would be no matter what. The guy passed like a point guard, rebounded like a power forward, and was easily a top-5 perimeter defensive player of all time.

As well say that Stockton shouldn't be in the Hall because he never won a ring and played with Karl Malone. Equally dubious.

1 person likes this.