1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The jokes on us...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by We're Back, Jul 23, 2003.

1. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

You missed the point!
    We CAN get better without new players.

The question is whether we can become good enough to compete with those teams that added major players like LA, Minn? Or SA, defending champ, and Sac and Dallas who are loaded with talents.

The scary thing is ... among those 5 teams, Dallas will probably not make it out of the 1st round! :(
    Where does that leave us?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

We'll never know if Silas was interested in us as he accepted the Cleveland job less than 24 hours after his interview with us.

3. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

And what gave you the idea that we would be competing against the elite teams of the West? I thought the goal was to just get to the playoffs.

No team that's missed the playoffs for 4 years just suddenly becomes a contender.

One step at a time. Let's just worry about making the playoffs first before we start expecting to compete for a Championship.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree with you, Drummer, and Space to a certain extent,

but how many of you really didn't know

Cato
    Taylor
    and Norris were mistakes, not to mention Rice was very questionable at the time. How about Shandon Anderson, who didn't know that was a mistake.

I'm surprised Carroll doesn't catch more grief on this board.

5. mingonly

mingonly Member

NO ITS NOT BECAUSE HES CHEAP,ITS BECAUSE CD IS r****dED AND LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD HAS NO CLUE HOW TO VALUE PLAYERS WORTH AND OVERPAYS LIKE A MORON,THEN GOOD PLAYERS LIKE POSEY GET THE SHAFT BECAUSE OF MOOCHIE THREATENING TO HOLD OUT OF TRAINING CAMP IN 2001 LIKE THE GHETTO BOY HE IS

6. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Once again, people seem to be thinking that we are competing for a ring this year. There is no way we are going to be at that level without devastating injuries to many of the top 20 players in the league.

I think that we need to stand pat until at least the All Star break before we trade anyone for anyone. We are going to get into the playoffs with chemistry, player improvements, and coaching improvements, not by dismantling a team that is just starting to learn to play together.

The best teams (with a few exceptions) are the ones that are together for a long time and grow to learn how to play together. Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Elgin Baylor didn't win a championship together even though they were 3 of the top 10 players in the league at the time. Only after they played together for a while (and Baylor left) were they able to come together and win one. I saw an interview with Wilt in which he flat out said that the Laker team he won with wasn't even CLOSE to as talented as some of the other teams he had played with.

Talent doesn't win nearly as often as chemistry, as the Rockets championships should prove.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, I'm liking your posts more and more! This is what people keep forgetting. We ARE NOT 1 or 2 players away from mutiple championships. Our time is NOT now. Wait 2 or 3 more years when Yao and Stevie start hitting their prime.

If we panic and starting signing a bunch of free agents and overpaying them, where does that leave us in 2 years when we're actually ready to make a run at it all?

Don't panic, the sky is not falling!!

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

WHAT I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!

9. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

You are right and you are wrong at the same time!

It's not time to panic but it takes years to build a championship team, it takes planning and no time is better than the present ... unless you started even earlier!

The same FAs do not come around every year. If they get locked up in long contracts, u can't get them unless you trade for them which means you lose some of your own talents.

No one said to over pay anyone but you have to pay to get them and you have to always look out to pull the trigger when they are available.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen cato do some nice things this past season. If he keeps improving as he has the last two seasons (slow but surely) then I am not going to complain about his contract. Rice is only for another year and for a bench player I think he did add a good scoring job. Moochie is OVERPAID! He needs to be traded for gift certificates to Centerfolds or Legends or St James or Ricks or any of the other Cabarets. Collier was overpaid (we shouldn't even have drafted him) Mo Taylor is over paid and was a waste of an investment in my opinion. I think we can get a veteran to do his job. I honestly see griffin improving to new leaps and becoming better than mo this season, especially under gundy. I have definitely given up on tito and bostjan. I agree with keeping Steve cat and Yao. I want to see those three work with Gundy before we start a trade. I am also interested in seeing what griffin can do with steve cat and yao. Rice and Cato off the bench i think is a good lineup. If I don't see a roster change I agree we will be THE BIGGEST JOKE OF THE LEAGUE...

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And how do you know they don't have a plan to build a championship team after less than a week of FA signing? Building a championship team takes long term planning, not band-aid FA signing. Look at how the Spurs worked to free up their cap room. Yet it still takes some luck to get exactly what you want. And no team gets exactly what they want in the NBA.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If we match the offer sheet for Posey, at least 50 percent of the people who are in here screaming to sign him will be back on this board a year from now wailing about how we committed too much money for a player of limited skills and have lost the financial ability to re-sign [insert name of next must-keep player here].

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well.so much for that idea...damn Trademark..

#33 Rockets2K, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  14. Wolfhound

Wolfhound Member

All of this really doesn't matter because Posey is no where near being worth 6 mil per yr. If CD does match I'll be pissed!!! Let him go peacefully it is not the end of the world. Call Jim Jackson he will probably play for half of the MLE. We will do something to improve the club, just wait and see!!

15. TheFelderFirm

TheFelderFirm Member

CD is a Drunk Old Gesser! :mad: