1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Santos with a bit of a slow start this year, but as a whole, the early returns on him look fairly encouraging. Daniels definitely looks like a miss and Tyler Brown is probably trending that way unless he goes to the bullpen. Whitcomb has pretty much either met or exceeded expectations to this point.

Sprinkle, Endersby, and Dirden look like they've been solid finds out of the undrafted class, but yeah... the US amateur talent the Astros acquired in 2020 doesn't look like a class to remember.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

did I say throw him a party? No. I said let’s keep a tally of wins and losses. Montero is a win. Baez and Odo are losses. Maton is a win. It’s not that hard. I’m not a Click apologist. Nor do I think click is better than Luhnow.

Why are you being a d-ck about a simple post that’s about objectivity in keeping a ledger.

did we sell the farm to get Graveman? We dealt Toro. Why does anyone care about that deal.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Rapid accounting of all of Click’s moves:

Trade wins: Brooks Raley

Extension wins: Yuli Gurriel, Martin Maldonado

Free agent wins: Jose Siri, Ryne Stanek, Marwin Gonzalez, Michael Brantley, Jason Castro

waiver claim: Robel Garcia; call it a loss

Free agent losses: Pedro Baez, Jake Odorizzi

TBD free agents: Pedro Leon, Justin Verlander, Hector Neris, Niko Goodrum; Verlander/Neris/Leon look like wins, Goodrum looks like a loss.

TBD Extensions: Lance McCullers, Ryan Pressly; both look like losses for now.

TBD Trades: Yimi Garcia, Phil Maton/Yainer Diaz, Rafael Montero/Kendall Graveman, Logan Cerny, Luke Berryhill; most of these look like wins to me.

Meaningless free agents: Jared Hughes, Chase De Jong, Steve Cishek, Steven Souza, Ryan Eades, Brandon Lawson, Michael Kelly, Jacob Wilson, Drew Butera, Lewis Brinson, Franklin Barreto, Adam Morgan, Zac Rosscup; some upside still in those minor league deals for guys currently in AAA.

Meaningless trades: Hector Velasquez, Brandon Bailey

Literally the Baez and Odo deals are the only moves he’s made that can remotely be called “definitely bad”, and both of those haven’t fully played out yet.

Partial credit for player development (guys that debuted for Houston since 2020): Pena, Jones, McCormick, Meyers, Dawson, De Goti, Garcia, Javier, Bielak, Solomon, Ivey, Taylor, Scrubb, Garza, Paredes, Perez Matijevic, Martinez, Hartman, Castellanos, N Rodriguez, Sanabria, Bailey, Blanco, Mushinski

Honestly at this point for me the McCullers extension is the only major deal he’s made, so how that one plays out will carry a major weight on his grade. Next would come the 2nd/3rd tier free agent deals and deadline trades which on balance reflect pretty favorably despite how bad Odo and Baez have been.

#243 Snake Diggit, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    jiggyfly, xcrunner51, Joe Joe and 2 others like this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Shitty Homestand until the final AB and then game winner. Shitty day so far with k with two on and the error on an easy play.
    we’ve seen the lows I expected. He’s had more highs than I was expecting so far. Like his makeup. Still wish we had correa back as we really really really seem at least one bat short and with as old and brittle as the Astros IF is we could have broken Peña on with plenty of time, but I’m upgrading my hope for Peña from above average guy to fringe all star. So far so good on balance for the rook.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Springer
    Correa

6. HTown2017Champs

As far as Daniels goes, he reminds me of a typical Luhnow pick - toolsy college OF with speed and raw power but also some swing and miss. Ronnie Dawson, Stephen Wrenn, Jordan Brewer, Alex McKenna, Matt Barefoot, etc. Looks like Click, so far, likes those as well (Hamilton, Sandle, Cerny). Overall not a very high hit rate but many are still TBD.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. raining threes

Did they win the Maton deal?

I'm not being a richard, I'm just telling you that making trades to makeup for your mistakes and then letting the guys you traded for walk is another mistake.

8. raining threes

LOL

Homer

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So basically favorable though incredibly small sample size for a GM. Using objective measures like WAR/$ probably puts him in the upper half of GMs with his former team way ahead.

Considering payroll availability and players on roster, it will be a while for us to know if he's good or not unless he tears apart the team and doesn't trust player development.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Rileydog

i suppose reasonable minds can differ on whether two years of Maton under club control is worth more than Straw. I can’t remember how many cheap years he had left, but in light of Matons performance last postseason, I do that trade every time. Also, you don’t pay the miles straws, You want to be the one who finds the miles straws. Maybe he would be a meaningful upgrade at CF this yesr. I don’t know. But the decision was made last yesr, and it was absolutely the right one. And I didn’t factor in the C they got in the trade.

letting Graveman walk … it’s a cost issue. And we got Montero in that deal. I could argue Montero alone this year is worth dealing Toro, Nevermind Graveman value to us last year.

but overall, I’m just saying be balanced and take a fulsome view. Like the summary Snake did. Bashing while ignoring successes is just dumb.

#251 Rileydog, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    jiggyfly and raining threes like this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far Springer looks like an average value for his contract and Correa looks like a bad value. Who knows how they play out but at this point neither should be a ding on Click, especially since we can’t know if either guy would have signed with Houston at all and for what price.

IowaAstro and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Silly comment if you’re not gonna detail how you disagree.

14. Rileydog

well it appears he might have already made up his mind …

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. raining threes

Siri batted leadoff tonight, followed by Goodrum. I believe this speaks volumes on the job Click has done.

On a brighter note, Maldy got his hit for this week tonight. and posters wonder why this team is struggling.

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  16. raining threes

Look at tonights lineup for my reply.

17. Rileydog

small sample size but Montero continued to shine tonight. His FB CH combo is electric. And where did he get that command on the CH. Holy cow.

rockets1995 likes this.
  18. Rileydog

i don’t know if that’s crane or click. I’m on record as highly critical of not spending … whether on correa or elsewhere. I don’t see it being an advantageous trade market with more buyers in this new playoff format.

if that’s click, shame on him. I have a feeling the spend decision was is cranes.

edit … goodrum didn’t cost much and isn’t a terrible utility player signing.

now Siri and goodrum at the top of the lineup … fire Dusty. I can’t stand him.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.
  19. raining threes

So you think it's a coincidence that Crane decided to stop spending after Luhnow left? The problem is Click decided to spend his money on Odorizzi/Castro/Goodrum/Baez etc...

If Crane did, then Click needs to start taking more risks in trades for younger/cheaper guys. Actually some of the younger guys are playing right now in Sugarland, but they are blocked by the Castro's/Goodrums of the world. Let me ask you this, would you rather see Lee and Leon at Minute Maid in lat May/Early June?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. Rileydog

So you are theorizing crane stopped spending because of no confidence in Click? Based on the Baez and odo contracts I’m assuming. Yet Click got another shot at paying a reliever like Neris significant money. If crane had no confidence in Click, he could fire his ass. I think you’re a lot more ticked at clicks FA signings than Crane is.

You seem to have a hard time with basic linear analysis - what exactly is the problem with the cheap goodrum signing as a utility guy. Is he supposed to play like a superstar?

Lee and Leon - another sign of clicks incompetence in not promoting kids soon enough? Is it your view we should just let all the kids play and go with stars and children?

I’m not a Click apologist but you are actually all over the place. Snake laid out a pretty complete summary of clicks record. And you don’t bother to respond to it intelligently. This is like a D & D level discussion.

jiggyfly, Bregatron and Snake Diggit like this.