1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jeremy Pena Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Major

Major Member

If you believe in analytics, as the Astros do, there's not really any such thing as a cold or hot hand with small sample sizes. Going 3-4 one day doesn't make you any more likely to do better the next day than if you went 0-4.

The Astros, as they have the past half-decade, believe in looking at the bigger picture rather than trying to maximize their chances of winning any individual regular season game. I think it's worked pretty well for them.

It's the baseball version of the NBA's load management. It's especially valuable if you're really confident you're in a division you think you'll win fairly easily.

2. Buck Turgidson

I get what you're saying but I totally disagree.

And I'm not complaining about the Stros giving guys days off.

raining threes likes this.
  3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Of course. I can't stand Baker

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do you think every established position player should play every game (if healthy)? When should Peña get a day off?

Bregatron likes this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I can’t stand dusty either, but not bc he is resting Peña. It’s not that difficult to move Tucker to the 2 hole where he belongs forever.

raining threes and Radricky like this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My thought is that you should rest players who are playing well on days off and only rest them for gamedays when you play 7 or more consecutive days.

raining threes likes this.
  7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He played 37 games last season, 67 if you include the winter league. Seems pretty reasonable to give him regular rest now in the build up to a full 162 game season (plus playoffs).

HeyBudLetsParty and Bregatron like this.
  8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Pena isn't established

9. bobrek

By established I mean their the starters. For example, Pena is the established starter at SS, but neither McCormick nor Siri is an established starter in CF.

10. raining threes

Never rest a guy on a hot streak. Particularly when your offense is struggling.

jim1961, VanityHalfBlack and Radricky like this.
  11. bobrek

That being the case, perhaps he should have rested him yesterday after his 0 hit game on Friday?

VanityHalfBlack and Major like this.
  12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

A manager is paid to manage. If someone else is doing that job why pay Dusty? These decisions are his responsibility, As they should be.

13. bobrek

Managers and GMs work together all the time to make roster decisions, strategy, pitching limits, etc. It's not unique to Houston.

jiggyfly and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"I didn't put this team together for you, Art..."

RunninRaven likes this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Would agree except we already had two off days last week, give him the rest days when we are in long streaks of games. Not on a 5 game week

Dusty makes no sense with his moves

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Resting the catcher after a night game is a long standing MLB practice. If memory serves correctly, Springer and Correa (more Springer than Correa) got rest for day games after night games a lot during recent years under Hinch and then Dusty. It is almost like the Astros believe that players that give it their all at tough defensive positions have a tough time in day games after night games.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. raining threes

Nope, he's young he can play more than 10 games before he needs a day off.

18. HeyBudLetsParty

As much as we want to see the kid it makes sense to sprinkle in an off day every once in a while. 162 games is a long season, if they think he’ll benefit from the mental and physical rest I’d rather them stick to the schedule. The alternative is you sit him after a bad game and he has the entire day to mope on it, not to mention his home debut is tomorrow. If he plays 150 games that’s a huge win considering his previous injuries and lack of adjustment to the big league schedule.

awc713 likes this.
  19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

In Dusty's mind coming here was a favor to the Astros. He was retired. He was established. He had a great reputation. He is set in his ways and he is not going to put up with being told what he can or can not do. In his position I certainly would not. Nobody else would be likely too either.

20. bobrek

So... you are saying that GMs and managers don't work hand in hand determining the roster and team strategy?

jiggyfly likes this.