1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'The Jazz Own the Rockets'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cohen, Jan 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

How many times did the Jazz announcers proclaim that last night?

Now we have to wait until April 14th for the Rockets to shut them up? I hope that loss will have serious playoff implications for them.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Did they really say that? I live in Houston so I get the great Bill Worell. Did they actually say they own us? Even after T-Mac dropped 47pts on their heads last meeting?

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The announcers were haters. They constantly ranted about how to Rox are poor shooters even at home and how the Rox couldn't sell out a game. All in all I hate NBA LP for not broadcasting Houston's feed.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

What can you say? They do. They certainly did yesterday.

They're a team almost designed to give us fits - a frontcourt rotation that's kryptonite for a lineup that includes Yao (not an issue last night), an elite PG matched up against Rafer, and an intelligent, strongly knit unit that can play the best team ball you'll find in the league on both ends. We have the edge in sheer talent, but our guys aren't able to execute on either side of the ball at the same level.

The mid-90s Sonics had us by the balls too. We had the Malone Jazz by the nutsack with Dream. Just how it goes sometimes.

Evan

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Remember that thread for the first game of last season? Someone linked comments from a Jazz board and we laughed at them?

Damn I hate the Spazz!

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jazz announcers didn't say anything that wasn't true. In fact they are quite knowledgable and actually got excited when T-mac scored or any Rocket made a great play.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was at the game, so don't know what they said, but if they said the Jazz "own" the Rockets, that's certainly untrue.

They beat us in the first round last year and are tied 1-1 this year. Wow! :rolleyes:

I guess they forgot about how we used to steamroll through the Jazz on the way to NBA Championships.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

They certainly appear to have this Rockets team's number. Boozer played one of his worst games of the season last night (Hayes' credit) and they were still able to grind out a win.

Until we get a PG who can force Deron Williams to pay attention on defense they will continue to have our number. I would have loved to see Brooks use his speed against Williams more. Even if Brooks could not score consistently against Williams perhaps chasing the little water bug around might drain some energy from him so he wouldn't be so effective at dismantling the Rockets on the other end of the court.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Along with all the top teams in the West. The Rockets don't really match up well with any of them on a consistent basis. Frankly, I'm not confident that the Rockets could beat Portland in a seven game series. It's like they don't know who they are or what they are doing. Leadership or the lack of it is a big part of this. This team has no identity except inconsistent.

10. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

THEY ARE GOING TOP CRY ON APRIL 14TH!!!

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the Jazz lead the overall matchup 88-72, according to basketball-reference.com

the Rockets last beat the Jazz in the Playoffs in what, 1995?

they beat us in the playoffs last year and they sure owned the Rockets last night.

so what's the big deal?

12. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I don't recall the Jazz announcers saying anything like that during the game. If anything, the announcers were cutting TMac slack for having a bad 1st half, and weren't taking that lightly, saing he could heat up at any time...

They did mention from time to time that Yao was out.

I think Scola on Boozer will work. I dont' know if Yao is willing to go out and guard Okur, though.

Battier on Deron W seems to be our only option to stop him on D, unless Kirk Snyder is going to get some run.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The best quote from those guys (the announcers) from NBA Season Ticket was, after Scola was called for a foul and fell to the ground after contact, that it was a clear flop and that there was no place in the NBA for flopping...AND that the league should do something to stop it. I don't think I've ever heard such a hypocritical statement before (especially from anyone associated with the Jazz). Those guys (Jazz announcers) had great voices but thier basketball IQ and homerism definitely left something to be desired.

14. 1RocketMac11

1RocketMac11 Member

They were fine, they acknowledged at least once a quarter we were missing Yao and really had a lot of respect for McGrady throughout the whole game. Even going as far as saying when he hit that fade away jumper over Korver saying "Boy isn't McGrady amazing."

Nothing they said wasn't true as well, our home-court sucks, and it looks like the arena was almost empty. No energy at all, besides Novak's threes towards the end of the third quarter and when a team beats you at home in a Game 7, they definitely "own" you in recent match-ups.

15. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

What's really bad is the Jazz kick the Rockets around in the Toyota Center. They have beaten the rockets at home as if they were the home team. Rafer can't guard Williams so he can get his own shot or create one for his team anytime he wants. The Rockets got beaten by a better team in that 7 game series last year and if we meet them again the result will be the same. :mad:

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Let's not forget that our best guy was out. I say that because I think the team runs better through Yao than Tracy on a game by game basis, and that we missed Yao more yesterday than we missed Tracy recently when he was out... THat said, Yes, the Toyota Center leaves something to be desired.

17. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Why don't we worry less about what some guys in suits say, and worry more about trying to stop sucking.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pssst Will,
    that Barkley says Camby should be in the All Star Game instead of Yao is over 16 pages

The new school clutchfans are sensitive. please don't hurt their feelings! :rolleyes:

19. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

So they said that Houston can't shoot, even at home, and the Rox can't sell out a game.

Uh, that sounds pretty much right on the money to me.

20. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

Who went to the West Conf Finals last year ? Exactly, so damn right they owned them. Until the Rockets prove them wrong and blow them out in April and beat them in a 7 game series.