1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jaygup Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Oct 9, 2021.

?

Does Josh Christopher crack the regular season rotation this year?

1. Yes, by game 41

88 vote(s)
    69.3%
  2. Yes, last month of the season

26 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. No, RGV all year

13 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

What does Jaygup even stand for? Guppy? Like a baby fish? That's all I can think of. It's terrible no matter what it means. i think these men need to start going by their name instead of nicknames they were given by their high school friends or some weird childish fans. Just go by Josh Christopher. These nicknames are always stupid.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JGruper!

DD

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Realize that it's a big man who is making that statement more often than not - Ryan Hollins ...

Almost every time this has been mentioned, Christopher has been defending 4 or 5 in the post .... We have to remember he's a guard not a big and defending guys on the low block is not something guards do a whole lot coming up. You almost expect guards to get beat with a drop step .... especially by a bigger / taller player. Hell catching a mouse in the house was an optimal possession for most of the sports history. For an NBA big man, catching a mouse in the house is like playing against the kids in the driveway.

He and the other guards shouldn't be put in that situation as often as they are and the blame for that falls on Wood being so unwilling to defend opposing big men, particularly when he is the lone big on the court.

Christopher has been a really good perimeter defender both on and off the ball.

vator likes this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

We got a little spoiled by having short thick boys like Gordon, Harden, Tucker, and even in some matchups CP3 who could switch onto much bigger players and defend well out of position. That certainly isn't the norm around the league.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. NewAge

NewAge Member

??? What? he's not busting through this wall, he's barely standing on his feet. He's using the wall for support...

Wait, are we still talking about Silas?

6. Vivid

Vivid Member

Ok, boomer.

Probably don't have a problem with us refering to the GOAT as Dream versus Hakeem. A nickname he was given as an 18 year old kid. The sudden jump from rooting for a group of 30 year olds to teenagers has really brought a "get off my lawn" crowd here on CF and it is interesting to watch.

People that were young adults (20-30) when they intially joined the board (early days) are roughly middle-aged now. If a 99er had a kid when they joined CF, that kid is 3 years older than Sengun. The juvenoia, while entertaining, is grating.

It's his nickname, how gives a hoot? It is something special between him and his brother. You can call him Josh if it makes you feel better, Rokman.

JamesC and majicdonjuan like this.
  7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree with your point about having our guards being switched onto bigs. That seems to be a lingering symptom from the Harden days, where Harden had no interest in guarding anyone on the perimeter but seemed somewhat content covering bigs in the post.

But I've frequently seen Christopher get left in the dust when guarding perimeter guards as well. I think the potential is there to get better, but I wouldn't say he's been really good. Inconsistent with flashes of strong defense maybe.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Juvenoia? WTF are you talking about? Is this some new fear you have coined? My guess is your 17. When you grow up a little and see the world through adult eyes you'll have more maturity and will look back on your post and think, "God I was such a douche back then!"

9. vator

10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can we talk about how good JC’s entry passes into the post are? Every guard in the team should take notes.

D-rock, harold bingo and mikol13 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Christopher got the strength that Jalen lacks now.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now hopes are up that we keep our fun loving, sturdy line backer Eric.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Then you shouldn’t have taken him out coach. Ride the hot hands.

As of right now, Christopher is the most well rounded rookie. He needs minutes.

Emtenndo, jcmoon, NewAge and 8 others like this.
  15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I was impressed with JC’s decision making tonight. Just seemed to make the right pass, read, shot etc.

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s better than Jalen Green. Play the man...

jcmoon, NewAge, Tmac1Yao11 and 3 others like this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

JC is better suited for the NBA game right now that JG. I love Green's explosiveness and athletic ability, but he's not finishing enough of his drives and he's not confident in his jumper. JC has worked on his game and its showing in production. Give him a start Silas and let's see what he does. Maybe it sparks JG as well. We need a cultural of you earn your burn, versus you're entitled because of your draft position.

Ghost5Horse6, mikol13, jcmoon and 5 others like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JG is our best rookie atm.

DD

BelgianRocketsFan and vator like this.
  19. vator

i swear I was just about to post this. Only reason I came in here and even considered starting a whole new thread on it.

Josh Christopher has become the best and most impactful rookie on this team at the moment. Change my mind.

mikol13, jcmoon and DaDakota like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I like the fact that he's closing out games now ....

They were running down GSW with Christopher, Tate, Mathews, Martin & EG. Had them down to 4 at 98-94

Then Silas put Wood, Porter & Green back on the court and the defense went to ****, Wiggins got a bunny in the paint on the first possession then Looney got an offensive rebound and one .... cause Wood left Christopher on Looney instead of switching.