1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jay Williams Report

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by weslinder, Dec 8, 2006.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/williams_061208.html

Austin Acquires Jay Williams

AUSTIN, Texas, December 8, 2006 – The Austin Toros have acquired guard Jason (Jay) Williams and waived guard Melvin Scott.

Williams, 6-2, 195, was the second overall selection in the 2002 NBA Draft by the Chicago Bulls and was the recipient of the 2002 Naismith and Wooden Awards, given annually to the nation’s best collegiate basketball player following his final season at Duke. Williams led Duke to the national championship in 2001 and was a two-time Associated Press first-team All-America selection.

Continuing his comeback after severing a nerve in his leg, fracturing his pelvis and tearing three of the four main ligaments in his left knee in a motorcycle crash in June of 2003, Williams reports to the Toros on Friday and will begin practicing with the team Saturday at Parque Saragossa (10 a.m.) in Austin.

Williams averaged 26.0 minutes 9.5 points and 4.7 assists in 75 games as a rookie with the Bulls. He played in five preseason games for the New Jersey Nets this season before being waived, averaging 13.2 minutes and 3.8 points.

Austin (0-6) is off until a trip to Dakota to face the Wizards (4-1) on December 14 and 15 at Bismarck Civic Center. Tip off for both games is 7 p.m. CT. The next home game for the Toros is December 17 when Sioux Falls visits the Austin Convention Center.

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Jay Williams is:

- damaged goods resulted not from an injury related to his valiant battle with opponents on the court, or from a friendly fire delivered by one of his teammates, but from his own recklessness and stupidity off the court;

- an overhyped Dukester who underachieved and had issues with his coach and backcourt teammates on his first NBA team.

Just say no to Jay Williams.

3. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

You know, if there is a thing called a second chance then JW definitely deserves one. Not only for what he was before the accident, but also for what he's done afterwards. Gosh I can't imagine what kind of pains he has to go through to be able to play again. I bet he is a grown man now who will play his heart out if given another chance. I'll root for him.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Man, it must suck to be waived from a D-league team.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There's no question to say 'no' to here. This isn't a "let's sign Jay Williams" thread. Or, are you saying you don't want the Austin Toros to sign him?

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well, there are tons of actions/transactions going on in DL, but why there needs to be a thread dedicated to Jay Williams? Last I checked, the guy has never played for the Rockets. A fairly large number of people think we are still deficient at the PG position, given Rafer's performance thus far in this season. We all love to get things cheaply. Hence the natural reaction from me. :)

7. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

how many of us wanted Rockets to draft him instead of Yao back then ?

8. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

Should have taken Jay Williams, instead of Yao.
    Darn!

9. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

For some reason, this reminds me of Dick Vitale and Bill Simmons during the draft.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hope you're still not upset that some people wanted williams instead of yao.

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Me upset? Uh-uh

12. highfly

highfly Member

My hat off to JWil for trying to come back...
    Nothing else to say...

13. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

If i have the first draft pick, i'll pick caron butler or jay williams.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I dont recall us needing yet another point guard back then.

15. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

I remember some posters wanting Jay Williams to play point guard and sliding Francis to SG. Other posters were debating that Francis didn't want to play SG, so it wouldn't work. Cuttino was going to the bench. Ahhh..old memories.

16. AXG

AXG Member

The last team to have the #1 and #2 picks in the same draft play on the same team is the Heat (Shaq and Zo, 92) and they won the championship last year. Maybe if the Rockets sign Williams to play alongside Yao, we'll win the championship this year. :rolleyes: