1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The James Posey Affair in Retrospect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IndianPlaya, Oct 26, 2003.

1. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

When the Rockets decided not to cough up enough cash to retain Posey a little over two months ago, there was an uproar. Posters were livid, bashing CD and Les right and left. We were too cheap, uncommitted to winning, and letting a stud slip through our hands. Most of us were convinced that we were losing the best small forward available and we'd lost a gem. True, we had signed Pike and Griffin, but that was not equivalent to Posey. Now, two months later, after the signing of fitness freak Jimmy Jackson and the emergence of Boki, the deal does not look as bad anymore. We did lose Posey, but we got Pike, Griffin, and Jackson in return. Jackson, a fine player, is as good if not better than Posey. Add pike and AGriffin to the equation, and we came away as big winners. We relli need to give CD more credit for an awesome, money saving deal. What initally looked like the loss of our 3 has instead turned into a sweet deal.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3. rsl5181

rsl5181 Contributing Member

i second that.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

And I'd say that at least more than half of the vocal posters here were happy the rox didn't match that contract offer.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't even think it was so much a money thing. In the end I believe CD and and company finally came to the conclusion that as talented as Posey is and he is, the Rockets needed a different type of 3 and Posey was not the answer. I think they were fortunate to get jackson but probably they felt getting Pike was a better fit than Posey and Boki just needed more playing time. Also griffin would bring similar defensive intensity without needing the ball as much. So in the end they felt Posey was not with they needed at any price tag.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

We're going to have to stop this nasty habit we've developed in the past week of agreeing with each other. ;)

Many posters felt that Posey wasn't worth matching the Memphis offer. Without a claim to insider info, I have a hunch JVG had some input into the decision as well. As Old Man Rock hinted at, AGriff brings as much or more D, Pike is clearly better on an inside-out team, Boki needs PT and JJAx for cheap was a bonus.

Plus, Posey's deal with the Grizz is a year longer than Pike's and JJax and 2 years longer than AGriff. Nachbar's deal is about the same length of time, but he is much, much cheaper at rookie scale.

For a team on the brink of championship contention, Posey's 1 extra year @ $6.4m could make a big difference in salary flexibility IMO. IOW, if Posey wasn't exactly the right man for the job and your serious time frame was two years out...don't paint yourself into a financial corner.

7. We're Back

We're Back Member

I think that a Rockets PR guy wrote this thread.

8. lovethisgametoo

I agree.

9. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

It may have been JVG's idea to keep Posey out. He has already stated what he wants from his role-players, and Posey doesn't really fit that.

If Rudy was here, does anyone think that we may still have him around?

10. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

LOL, I can't wait to bring this thread out when you guys see the real Jim Jackson.:D I think it will turn out to be a win - win deal. You guys wanted players on the cheap for cap flexibility, we wanted players with talent for win flexiblity.

Here come the Grizz....

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I was upset we let Posey go. If we didn't get Jackson I would have been even more disappointed.

I think Jimmy Jackson is a good pickup.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

MemphisX,

I find it hilarious that you are all over Posey as a player now, yet, a few weeks/months before Memphis signed him, you said "we don't want any of your players".

So Posey wasn't good enough for your team when he was on the Rockets, but since he signed, he is the greatest thing since sliced bread eh?? ;)

13. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

That was in response to trades...nothing changed we did not want to trade for any of your players except Franchise and Yao. Posey was a giveaway.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I had no idea that what happened with Posey was an "affair"...

BTW, is MemphisX the all time worst fan of another team ever?? He makes roydelton seem like a saint...

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

No. You said "we don't want any of your players". You didn't say "we don't want to give away any of our players for any of your players". In fact, I even recall you saying that Battier was a better player than Posey.

Face it X. Your team is competing to stay ahead of Denver. I wouldn't at all be suprised to see Denver finish ahead of Memphis.

Jake Tsakalidis and James Posey aren't going to make up 14 games on us. :)

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am glad MemphisX posts here--it is good to get a perspective from a non-Rocket fan sometimes.

Further,

Pike is 33
    JJackson is 33
    Posey is 26

Sure, we won't lose much this year for the moves, but only 1 of these 3 players had a chance to grow with Yao and Francis and has the oppertunnity to be a solid roll player when this group of Rockets will be peaking--and that player was James Posey.

I didn't like it then and don't now because I am thinking 3-4-5 years out which is how I think we should have been thinking. It would have been some more expensive, but had we had just signed Posey and Jim Jackson or Pike we would be better off long term than signing Pike and JJ. AG signed for the vet mimimum and could have been signed with any combination of two (Posey, Pike, JJ)--so that really isn't a consideration.

These moves are done, so no sense belaboring it though--for sure until there is some perspective to see what really was the best course of action (years away).

17. aries323

aries323 Member

I'm thinking 3-4-5 years down the line, we won't need 36 yr old JJ or 36 yr old PIke... cause we'll have Yao, SF who should be playing at their prime. Posey although was and is still a stud. the kid can run the floor with the best of them and when he wants can play defense with the best of them.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think one factor that's been overlooked in this thread is that James Posey kinda sucks.

19. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I have said all along that Posey at 24 Million was rediculous!!!! His game was not that great anyway. Glad to see him elsewhere!!! The ROX needed a perimeter player at the SF and they have that with JJ and Boki! I loved watching Jackson abuse Turkelou on Friday. That's what the ROX needed!!!!!!

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Posey was/is a decent role player, nothing more. He wasn't worth the money and he can't hit the midrange jumper which will be very important in the new offense. I'll take JJ over Posey straight up at this point.