1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Also, those saying Booker and Beal numbers, I don't recall either one of them starting their rookie years......all year.

DD

tycoonchip and Plowman like this.
  2. jogo

jogo Member

He's not a bust but he's not good.

And the comparisons to Kobe, Beal, and Booker in their first years:

Kobe 41% 37% 3PT FG (18 years old)
    Beal 41% FG 38% 3PT FG
    Booker 42% 34%
    Green 35% 28%

Does one of these players look different from the rest?

Put him on the bench and let him play against second units, send him to the G league, whatever. Our team sucks but you can't blame them for those percentages. That 3 pointer pushes me every time he shoots it. It's a bad shot and I suspect defenses will start letting him take it. He's 134th in the league in 3PT%. Stop taking so many of those shots that aren't going to go in.

RocketOrg, cdxiong, DaDakota and 3 others like this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was waiting for the Green to the G League posts. That would be a massive embarrassment to send the guy you drafted #2 overall from the G League back down to it.

I'm still hopeful for Green, but this is a bit worrisome that he seems to still be the same player he was in high school and then in the G league. I think he will eventually find his shot in the NBA, but that's not the issue. The problem is he still doesn't add anything when his shot isn't falling. Sengun has had multiple games where he was laying bricks, but he's always trying to contribute in other aspects of the game.

His handles need work and there doesn't seem to be much progress on that skill yet.

He absolutely must add at least 10-15 lbs of weight from his rookie to sophomore year. He gets bullied too much. His defense doesn't seem terrible, but he can't compete with NBA players as weak as he is. I'm actually a bit hopeful he can be a solid NBA defender.

He's getting to the line at a decent rate ever since the NBA refs decided to lift the free throw embargo on him over the 1st 4 games. He's right at 4 attempts per game taking out the 1st 4 games.

We knew he was a streaky shooter, but this is really rough to watch. His shooting mechanics need to be overhauled in the off season. I don't know if this is a good way to evaluate things, but if you remove his best shooting game, 8 for 10, and his worst shooting game, 0 for 8, then he's shooting 24.6% from 3 this year. I was really hopeful that he would show a consistent shot, but this has been an atrocious start.

It feels like he should be a better shooter than he is, but he's never been a good 3 point shooter at any level. Interestingly he shot 28.6% over 23 games for his U16-U19 Team USA games from 3 pt land. He's shooting an almost identical 28.9% from 3 in his first 13 NBA games.

Hopefully this is the low spot for him this year.

4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

That is terrifying

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'd like to see how he looks with a real PG and a real coach getting him better looks, and consistently feeding him the ball. unfortunately that won't be this year. he needs to spend this year being a bit more selfish and looking to shoot whenever he can just to get experience. come back next year with 10lbs of muscle and a new PG hopefully.

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

I just checked all Draft/Rookie related topics on about every board i know about the general opinion on Jalen Green and his struggles and i have not seen anyone starting to panic and call him a bust.

just as food for thought.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They only see highlights.

DD

8. Rockets4Life13

Yes I‘m sure people that devote their time to discuss rookies and draft prospects all year instead of discussing Jordan vs Lebron or Lakers vs Nets or whatever only watch highlights….

harold bingo likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is nowhere near the rookie seasons of those guys. BUT one can argue that he has not played a whole season. So there's a possibility that he may turn it around and catch up with those numbers.

The problem that is obvious to everyone is that right now he is clueless in playing the NBA game. He needs guidance, either from veteran teammates or the coaching staff.

harold bingo and palmsnbananas like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His 3 point shot is really busted. Tonight his misses were like hitting weird parts of the rim like he's not even aiming them. Weirdly enough he's been hitting his freethrows.

I totally agree about the contributing in other ways part. His lack of contirbution else where shows a general lack of understanding of basketball. He wants to contribute on defense but he doesn't know how to position himself to do it. It's not a good sign even if he fixes his shot.

It's always strange that he never gets long rebounds even when it bounces in front of him, he's somehow one step late to grab it.

Steph curry manages to grab a ton of long rebounds being the same size because he knows where the ball will bounce to.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

It’s also concerning that we can now all tell that he’s the same size as Steph Curry. :eek:

palmsnbananas likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can look up the others but I looked up beal and in the same amount of games the rockets have played he shot 32.5% So yes, different and less than Green.

13. BigTex

BigTex Member

We must have one of the worst shooting backcourts ever right now

Green 47% TS
    Porter 48% TS

Porter was at 53% his first 2 seasons

Westbricks worst season is 49%.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why is that concerning at all. People that kept b****ing about his height missed the point entirely.

Height doesn't matter all that much as a combo guard anymore, you can be Curry's size and still crazy amount of impact on rebounding and screen setting.

15. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

My main concern is with his continued reliance on the three-point shot. This blame is squarely in the coach. Green's mid range game is actually pretty solid. Nice turnaround jumper and step-back. Unfortunately the coaches are teaching him to be a volume shooter from three-point land ONLY. And as pointed out Green isn't strong enough to shed defenders when he drives to the bucket. Adding 10 to 15 pounds of muscle during the off-season of is imperative to if he wants to take the next step. Unfortunately I don't see that happening with this coaching staff. Just look at Christian Wood who is relegated to playing on the perimeter as a 6'10" guy because of his thin frame.

16. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Come on....It only been 12 games not the season, Green is a SUPERSTAR he will come on strong later in the year. We have Green as our FRANCHISE player and Sengun is a STAR but he need more young talent....maybe a Kuminga or Wiseman exchange?

17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Start Gordon with Green and remove Theis from the starting lineup. Space the floor better and make the easier for Green to build up his confidence.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

CLANK.

BRICK.

OVER THE BACKBOARD.

Just another night from downtown for Jalen.

If the draft was re-done, would there be another rookie who drops more places than him?

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Nothing will be more embarrassing than putting Green out on the court and contineously watch him get embarrassed in every facet of the game, game after game.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

If Green is fast, can he use some of that to his advantage like on defense. Like playing the passing lane more or take charges.

Big men gets whacked don't get calls, because it doesn't look as bad. Maybe the opposite for a skinny kid. If a skinny Green takes a charge; wouldn't Refs have to call it?

We know KJ can jump, but if Green also has that vertical, shouldn't he be able to get some blocks on defense. If Green's offense is not clicking, but he does other things to impact the game, it's easier to justify keeping him as a starter.

I'm grasping for straws; yes, but just because the league paints a stereotype; like Green is only offense (streaky at that), he can change that narrative if he really wants to.