1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Rockets4Life13

It’s not new.

even if proven wrong it will be „well I’m happy it worked out, I’m a rockets fan“ and otherwise it’s the classic „i told you so“

it‘s just boring, really

Roomba likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

DaDakota and tycoonchip like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He still had the same points in less shots than his running mate Porter Jr today.

the rockets backcourt are the brick brothers.

Dopamine, dmoneybangbang and hakeem94 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

honestly i never ever saw anyone in nba consistently play that bad...i mean brewer had some bad moments but JG's nearly every play in every game is almost shaqtin a fool worthy...if he wasnt drafted that high he would never ever get 5 minutes of PT in NBA....

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much.

If its his 3rd season and he's still playing this badly I'd worry...but he's a 19 year old guy trying to figure out what works and doesn't and oh yeah, thanks to playing in the west, likely is guarding an all-star guard every game.

It's rough out there for a rook. Let's see how he looks with some experience before pulling out the bust label.

6. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

more often than not, he has these games where he has more shots taken than points scored... I believe in the kid, but he has to find more ways to score easily like actually setting/coming off screens. Every great scorer has mastered the art of off-ball screens which took their game to a new level. Without it you just hope you have a good shooting day.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

his shot look bad

palmsnbananas likes this.
  8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I remember watching Clint Capella as a rookie while I was sitting in a Vegas sports book, and the people sitting around me were literally laughing out loud about how bad he was. And he was. He looked utterly lost. Clint turned out okay, and I’m pretty sure Green will too, but hopefully he’s learning some humility because right now he’s usually one the worst players on the court most of the time. I hope it makes him work harder. He can be great, but right now? Damn....

DreamR and palmsnbananas like this.
  9. Rockets4Life13

Quite the overexaggeration

also ask House about that lmao

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

honestly it’s the little things that are both Uber concerning yet I guess maybe also offer hope. Half of his turnovers are just like “wtf, he issued it to the other team” or “well he can’t dribble” … then conversely he makes some great passes and clearly has a dribble package.

His shot was fine. Streaky but fine. Great summer league %. Very solid g league average. Now… f’ing horrible.

on defense when he’s engaged he’s fine just underweight. But he’s only engaged half the time.

I’ve maybe never seen him attempt to box out someone.

he gets no benefit of the call. Which I guess is ok for a rookie but even still odd. Sengun gets calls. NBA refs are trained to only call certain types of calls. They’re more likely to miss/not call minor hand/arm swipes on shots especially if not in position but will regularly and consistently call the most minor of body contact… this explains the lack of calls. Green can’t use his body but gets fouled on the arms a lot that isn’t called just cause he’s fast. Sengun is all body contact.

so it’s like… maybe he’ll never add the weight, shot or bball iq. Or maybe he will??? Who knows.

One of the only clear things is that Silas is in WAY WAY WAY over his head. For one, Green looks WAY worse than under any previous coach. And it’s not just a quality of players issue. Everything he does whether guarded or not looks worse. For two, if it is 100% a quality of competition thing, thats Silas job to put him in the best situation and give him the best coaching.

it’s not just Green. KPJ too. Heck Tate was a big fat zero tonight. He couldn’t decide what to do with KMartJr. Wood looks worse (but to an extent he is a byproduct of his guards.

it’s all a bit of a conundrum.

notwithstanding how great Mobley has been btw, I still almost regret passing on Barnes the most. I’ve just always longed for (lol) that Barnes archetype of player.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

A player like green needs to be cocky and arrogant on the court. You can easily see that he plays better whenever he has that swagger and confident look. Unfortunately the more he looks bad the chance he loses confidence and then we have a broken Green who has no killer instinct.

DreamR likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no, no, no, not an exageration.... house may miss a lot of 3s or go for a hard layup and miss it, or do unprovoked turnover ocassionally ... JG looks like a martian outthere every game... like he doesnt belong on the court....its hillarious....almost everything he does is subpar....one thing he can do well (kinda) is create space on 3s but he cant hit em.....

GotGame15 likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am more concerned about Armoni Brooks's shooting.

14. dmoneybangbang

Better to put the trolls on ignore.

Green is having a rough start, no debating that, but it's only the start.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  15. conquistador#11

One of the few sane posts in this thread! It has a lot to do with individuals looking at what Evan and Barnes are doing and having some sort of buyers remorse , all while missing out on Sengun's brilliance who has been as impressive as Barnes and Mobley.
    Shooting %, old man Strength and a Eurostep are 3 things Green has to and will improve as he turns 20.

JayGoogle likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Silas is a big part of the issue.

Green's handle isn't good enough to consistently score on Isolation...yet that's how he tries to get his points. Green should always be the guy who gets the ball on a fastbreak, should have way more cutting towards to rim.

Having him ISO trying to break down a stronger defender against a set defense is asking for a lot. That's what elite guys can do like Lebron and Harden...Green can't do that consistently.

If you look at all of his finishes they are all spectacular, which is good, he can twist and finesse his way into some finishes...but asking that of him all the time? He can't. He needs to add a floater to his game or get stronger. Until he does, this will always be the issue for him.

Green (like the rest of this team.) get no easy shots. Everything is a contested lay up or three. That's on the coach. It's looking like he's losing this team so he better do something to turn it around quickly.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think it is hurting his confidence starting, he is seriously bad on defense, his shot is really not good, and teams are targeting him because he is so skinny.

Move him to the bench, we are better with him playing 2nd unit guys for now.

DD

robbie380, palmsnbananas and Plowman like this.
  18. kiwirocketsfan

He is really struggling with his shot but outside that I see improvement most games and he’s showing more than almost anyone else in a Rockets uniform.

18pbr likes this.
  19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not showing more than almost anyone else in a Rockets uni. C'mon! That's ridiculous.

If JG wasn't the second pick, he not only wouldn't be starting...you'd be hard pressed to make an argument for him being in the rotation.

palmsnbananas and GotGame15 like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen, DaDa. Let him run against those dudes for now. For one, he's not yet built to take the kind of pounding his game demands. (not to mention him being a mason of the highest degree)