1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

2 things a superstar does, euro-steps and shoots the ball good. Green is playing outside in, he needs to drive more and stop playing soft

DaDakota and Dobbizzle like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

man, fair enough. He’s the closest “comp” for sure but was giving a little bit more in boards, steals, blocks per 100 but it’s not super meaningful.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I’ll tell him whatever he needs to hear if it stops his brick laying.

peleincubus likes this.
  4. NewAge

NewAge Member

They are not, obviously. But interestingly these are the only two #2s this century that I would consider "top dog" material. #2 has been somewhat jinxed, there are many more "top dogs" at #3: Embiid, Harden, Luca, Carmelo, Tatum.. plus some borderlines like D-Will, Lamelo, Beal, Horford, Gasol

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

?

6. amaru

amaru Member

One snarky comment deserves another.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

At the expense of Green? What he do to you?

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

He can create all the space he wants, but when he bricks wide open 3's it really doesn't matter

jiggyfly and Bobbythegreat like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He shot 29% from 3 so far and generally played as the worst player to get more than garbage time minutes on the entire team.

That's what he did to earn snarky comments.

10. fchowd0311

I would say he's our best pick and roll playmaker so far. 29% from three especially considering the degree of difficulty of many if his three attempts is impressive for a 29 year old playing his first 9 NBA games ever.

Sengun's turnover rate is ridiculously high for his first 9 games but he still looks extremely promising for a 19 year old given context.

Medicine N Music likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

Ya at this point in his career I expect better. He's already got a boat load of NBA experience. Sample size is very large. He should be already at a elite level.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's nothing impressive about 29% from 3. If it's too difficult for you to make 3's, you shouldn't shoot them.

Like I said, overall Green is the worst player on the team getting more than garbage time minutes and I'm not going to make excuses for him. He either needs to play better, or his playing time needs to go down. Same goes for the 2nd worst player on the team getting more than garbage time minutes, KPJ.

They are young, sure, but they simply have to do better or get out of the way of young players who are doing better like KMJ.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

29 percent is garbage and not impressive. Nobody is making him taking and bricking step back 3's. It makes you think why someone who can't even make wide open 3's on a consistent basis is taking one of the hardest shots in basketball and also bricking most of them.

Why does degree of difficulty matter when he misses both the easy and difficult shots. At the end he just misses most of the time

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes down to it, right now Jalen Green is a streaky shooter like Corey Brewer, not a good shooter. Hopefully he one day improves into a good shooter because if not, his ceiling will be pretty low.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, I can see Corey Brewer: thin, athletic, but not enough skill to finish or to make shots consistently. Yet somehow, 2X NCAA champ and NBA champ. Very positive attitude.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone needs a Corey Brewer type coming off the bench. If he happens to be hot, he can score a lot and he always gives energy....but he's not good enough to be a starter and he's usually a complete defensive liability other than when he successfully gambles for steals,

I'm still hoping Green improves to be better than that given where he was drafted, but it's a real possibility that's the kind of player he ends up being....which won't be the worst thing in the world if the Rockets can land a franchise caliber player in next year's draft or if someone like Sengun develops into that.

NewAge likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

What is the reason for trolling?

Corey Brewer has never been this athletic and never has had the footwork and ballhandling Green has.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not trolling. Corey Brewer was touted as a super athletic, though very skinny player coming out of college that led to him being a top 10 draft pick. Again, I certainly hope Green ends up better than Brewer, but after watching him, the parallels are there. Neither are good shooters, but can get ridiculously hot....it's how Brewer put up 50 in a game once. Brewer was a better defender, Green is a bit more athletic.

Neither are truly competent ball handlers.

Green is still young enough to develop, Brewer never did really.

NewAge likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

No there aren't parallels.

When has Brewer been this dynamic and competent handling a basketball and making a iso move especially on an elite defender?

Corey Brewer never had a ounce of the ballhandling, footwork and shot creation ability that Green posseses. Not even a ounce. And that's why I know you are trolling because it's absurdly obvious.

Corey Brewer never was and never will be the primary ball handler in a pick and roll. He's the roll man. Green is the ball handler.

20. HardenVolumeOne

Meh I’m not a believer in athletic pgs. They are similar to running qbs in the nfl