1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

question: are you OK with EGO-haters, Wood-haters, Wall-haters, KPJ-haters and Theis-haters?

2. jogo

jogo Member

Why can't we criticize Green? Everyone else on the team gets criticized. The coach gets criticized. The fans get criticized for not filling the arena. The owner gets criticized (quite fairly). Why not Green?

Because he's 19? People criticize Sengun regularly. Because he's our 2nd pick and there are fanboys? Oh, that's the real reason!

No Rocket fan wants him to fail. No one is bringing up anything that is not true. I watched most of the second half and this is what I saw: Green 3 turnovers in a row trying to drive into the lane. Bad turnovers. If KPJ had those people would be screaming from the rooftops. If Wood had them, it's trade him immediately!!!! Green made a 3 pointer. He his some FTs. Ok.

Green could get to where the fawning fanboys have said but he's at least a year or two away. I checked the chat at halftime and someone said something about how they see from him everything they need to know he'll go 30/5/5 one year. Really? You see that now? He had I think 5 points at the half on probably 35% shooting. He shot 21% last night overall.

We have to be realistic about where he's at or we're going to have years of this back and forth arguing. He needs A LOT of work. If fanboys can't realize that then it's all year of "where are the 'Green haters' now?!" after every game where he scores more than 20 points. He will score 20 or more every 5th game or so and half the board will think that means he's arrived. He won't arrive this year.

Green doesn't benefit from people pumping him up unnecessarily (not that I think he reads this board or anything). I suspect the coaches are telling him the same things we see: shot selection, turnovers, defense. Green and KPJ have a bit of the Harden jack up a three mentality at times. That only works if you can hit 35% or so of those shots. This quick step has not translated into results. He gets blocked 1.5 times a game, most on the team. That's not a big deal but I think it shows that the athleticism he relied on in the G league needs to be used in smarter ways in the pros. I haven't seen him blown by anyone for a dunk or layup yet. He can dunk in transition, but when he gets the ball at the top of the key and thinks he's going downtown I see a lot of fail.

Green has a lot of positives. He's getting to the FT line and making them at an okay rate. He hit over 80% in the g-league and if he can do that here if will help him a lot. He's athletic, has quickness and good hops. His 3pt% is up to 32% and that's not bad for a first year (he's just very hot or cold). The assists and rebounds are looking good. Part of his path to stardom is shooting for 5 rebounds and 5 assists. He won't get there this year but doing well in those areas when he is cold really helps his game. He's drawing some double teams (does anyone know where I can find this stat) and that means teams fear him. That's a good sign. His individual defense doesn't look horrible statwise (I know the sample size is tiny). Opponents shoot 44% against him when they average 42.5% overall for 1.6% better against him than average. That's not bad for a rookie and 5th best on our team among players who play regularly (again, this could get a little better by end of the year or a lot worse). Green is really young and appears to work hard. That's the key because he has tons of potential he just has to put in the work and be well coached. Green has appeared to overcome early season jitters that all rookies go through.

End rant

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

@jogo

Most of the Green haters started their charade by criticizing his looks, masculinity, and other BS irrelevant opinions. Other guys want to become Merlin and posit certainties about what type of player he will be in 3-4 years time and how he will "never" get stronger or better at defense - like how could you really know that NOW? Critique his game all you want - there is plenty there to discuss, but some of the guys that are throwing up their arms in a victim role have already outed themselves as borderline bigots and guys who are still upset that Mobley or Suggs or any other player was not selected at 2. So far as saying that they expected a #2 overall pick to be more polished while ignoring the unique position of selecting Green to begin with and all the variables THIS franchise was looking for in another 'face of the franchise' type player. Too many passive aggressive disingenuous posts about Green (like injecting "fanboys" into your rant) more than half the time it has nothing to do with the game. Just looking into their crystal ball and blabbing nonsense. If they kept it to basketball this place wouldnt be so divided, but most of them just cant help themselves. Sign of the times.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

“Face of Franchise” and “Top Dog on a Contender” historically have had certain personality traits. You have no ground saying that these are ”out of bounds” topics on this message board.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  5. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

"If we took the time to read the messages and understand them before responding, we would save a lot of discussions"
    Johnnie Walker.

"The secret is to understand the difference between criticizing and hating"
    Johnny B. Goode.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

@NewAge are you gonna let this rabble rabble slide? this poster is questioning your entire thesis here!

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

But but but is he just too girly to be good? That is what the lemmings want to know from your deep bright mind insight.

Easy and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one is a hater, that is such a weak minded saying - trying to silence those that are critical...

Tell you what I am a hater of PANZIES who can't handle criticism...

DD

9. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Personality traits do not equal looks. Didn't you learn that in high school or nah?

Verbal Christ and bmelo like this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

I dont know what was the reason for couple of first games but now he finally grew balls and plays like he should. No matter the misses and turnovers he plays like he wants it. Did he have any injury that was not reported?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably just overwhelmed the first couple of games actually playing a NBA game.

12. i3artow i3aller

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Your sig quote is the perfect microcosm of this topic.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His hairline would recede eventually, book it! :eek:

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Good. then he can look like Michael Jordan. Next MJ confirmed.

16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I hope Jalen's in the dunk contest this year.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Denovo

Denovo Member

I need more in game dunks from him. Booker blocking him at the rim still doesn’t sit right with me lol.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nobody is perfect. In the NBA you get blocked at the rim a few times
    and get posterized a few times. It happens.

Did Booker block Jalen Green 4 times in the same game?

The Great M J was not perfect either

#619 ApacheWarrior, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    i3artow i3aller likes this.
  20. Denovo

Denovo Member

???

You took my comment way too seriously lol.