1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I agree with most of this, 16 games in the g-league is not however "a year of playing professional" at all, and seems a little disingenuous. He definitely seems to be getting more comfortable though, and looks a lot more assertive than even a few games ago.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Adding qualifiers like "never" with a kid 7 games into his professional career is pretty laughable too.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Very true, hell, there are plenty of players who develop brand new skills halfway into their career, never mind after their first season.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Scooter went from a lanky kid last year and look at him this year - dude looks chiseled even grew another inch or so. Its just basic anatomy as boys become men - its happened to each and every one of us (males) I presume. Some guys even spend years working on their physique - do they not get stronger and more defined with the added training?? Then to throw out "never" in terms of his defense, well he's ALREADY shown flashes of being a + defender so its just a confusing stance. Just screams of dudes who need to be "right" ahead of time so that in the future they can dig up their post(s) and then say "told ya so" ... like what do you get from being a wishy washy fan around here .. a cookie?

Roomba and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Like many players with huge talent and obvious weaknesses, it's all going to come down to how much Jalen works to get better. So far everything I've seen of and about him tells me he's that guy who works and works and works. I can't think of any athletes with that sort of mentality who bust out, I can think of plenty who became stars though.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He's a gym rat. His workout exploits are stuff of legend. He's been training for this moment since he was a pre-teen. He skipped college to try and become the best version of a professional possible. I have no doubt he will put in the work. Most things will resolve once his body matures and he gets used to the play style in the NBA. Yes his defense TODAY isnt top notch, but Im fairly certain it will improve as he gets acclimated. His strength will also improve just naturally. Kevin Durant couldnt even bench the bar out of college - he's done OK for himself. The annoying nitpicking of imaginary issues is what I dislike. Bust him for his effort around screens, for his issues driving to the basket, off ball movement. So many other tangible things to discuss instead of trying to be a fortune teller.

7. 34to11

34to11 Member

When the clips you find and post consistently show the opposite of your complaint perhaps the problem is your perception.

Confirmation bias seems to be at play here.

8. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

It takes time to adjust. You also get more familiar with the players the more you play against with. Give him two years.

i3artow i3aller and Dobbizzle like this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Green fan. I have no doubts he's going to become the superstar he was billed as before the draft.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think he and Morant will have a few interesting playoff series against each other in the future.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

FIFY

i3artow i3aller and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I can understand the fans who overrate Green's performances; after all, this is a space for Rockets fans and fans often make those mistakes of appreciation (I make those mistakes often).
    What I really don't understand is Green's haters. People who are waiting for any mistake of this boy to leave a chain of messages against him.
    Really disgusting. Folks, find some other activity to bring out your frustrations, please.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You want a good example of the refs applying the rules differently ?

Last night against PHX .... CP3 has the ball between half and mid court along the sideline and is running clock. KPJ gets aggressive with him and & CP3 does the ole Harden swing thru for drawing contact and a foul.

That crap isn't suppose to be a foul anymore .... unnatural moves , there were 3-4 examples , this one was , Curry jumping sideways another and Tre Young stopping in front of a defender another.

.... Unless you are Cpee3

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Young gets in front of you and stops, and you run into him, that's your damn fault. There is nothing unnatural about stopping .

slothy420 likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

the top 3 guards in the lottery have all started out the season with horrendous shooting percentages and efficiency

Cade has been historically bad, but this is basically his preseason right now

Green with 36/32/76 shooting splits and 48% TS

Suggs with 31/24/84 shooting splits and 43% TS

Green has at least had 2 very good games against Boston and LA

the best Suggs has done from the field so far is 6-14 against Toronto…I swear every game it seems like he’s going 3-13 or 4-14 from the floor

he reminds me a lot of Mudiay so far

Bo6, i3artow i3aller and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

You must be new here.

mikenm268 and jiggyfly like this.
  17. amaru

amaru Member

3-14. Yikes!

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm looking more at how he's improving as a ball handler and playmaker. That's where he's showing the most progression. Even with his poor shooter ng you can see his footwork for his age so advanced such as that baseline step back he did yesterday. He creates A LOT of separation on his step backs.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think guards in general this season have been having trouble finishing at the rim. There's a lot more contact and Refs are swallowing their whistles. If you can't hit your 3's, you shooting split are going to look really bad.

Hell even Harden and Dame have had horrendous shooting nights.

Green is nowhere ready in terms of finishing at the rim, especially with contact. That's something you gotta learn with experience. Now he's just gliding at the rim, either gets blocked or bodied.

Dobbizzle, Reeko and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has to get more consistency, he has one hot game every 4 or 5, we need him to be more consistent.

He and Scoot are both young SGs who play the same position and are both shoot first, one is a dribble driver in Scoot, one is a jump shooter in Green.

Scoot is far more polished as an NBA player, but is not a great passer, he is trying to develop that...

Both Scoot and Green need the ball at this point to be successful - I believe Silas should try to play more with only one of them on the floor with others so they can work on their own games.

DD

Bo6 and Rudyc281 like this.