1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think what might help minimize the blocked shots for Green when he tries to finish in the paint besides adding bulk for future seasons, with his absolutely ridiculous leaping ability he should start his jump for the attempted lay in farther out than he is now. He usually gets blocked when he tries to finish when he's jumping near the hoop or under it where he can't use his upward explosion. If he starts his jump earlier when trying to finish he can do see spectacular finishes.

Drift Monkey and amaru like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When they are terrible shots chucked early in the shot clock or that are foolish attempts that are easily blocked, they are essentially the same as a turnover.

It's not the end of the world, it's just something he needs to work on

3. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Jalen will have a breakout game against Boston. 30 points 7 assists and a highlight dunk.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The entirety of the disappointment with Green this far is his scoring which is basically his shot falling.

After two games it’s nothing to be crazy concerned about. If he hits 5 of his next 6 threes he’d be shooting 40% on he season from his current under 20% for example.

But it does start to get a little concerning because it doesn’t seem like 5/6 from three is coming. But his form is solid etc so definitely expect it to inch towards 35% over the next month.

On the twos let’s not completely ignore they are getting no whistles. He was smacked in the face on the dunk attempt for example. The charge that would have been and and one was 50/50 to me. The fast break that he did a hop travel again seemed 50/50. Like they’re all the type of calls or see in college or summer league but not always in the nba. In either case he’s 0-0 so far on FTs.

that aside obviously some bulk would help. Getting him easy baskets would help. The plays they are running don’t make much sense to me. Why are they dragging him off screens along the top of the key to get the ball in no position to attack for example? They tried that play like 10x last night. Etc. etc.

I don’t see much “chemistry” out there. It’s not just Green. Alpi turned it over too much last night. He was forcing passes but then on the other hand there’s just not chemistry there.

The plus side is he has only 2 turnovers. His passion looks very very solid to me. Solid enough that I can see him running point at times. I don’t think he’s forcing it which is good. Some of them might seem forced but when you compare it to EG or KP… all these guys are forcing it to an extent.

long story short - he needs to hit shots. That changes everything. Then lots of little things to improve on.

jiggyfly, Tuckankhamun, amaru and 2 others like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Premature e-speculation

DatRocketFan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I dunno about 7 assist but I definitely see a 30 pt game coming soon.

CRJ713 likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

His defense isn't good by any metric .... BUT the effort is there.

jiggyfly, hakeem94 and amaru like this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Member

He got screwed on a few driving calls last game. Could've easily had 15+ points

DreamShook and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not an experiment. It's a commitment.

Drift Monkey, Bo6 and CRJ713 like this.
  10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Of course not .. they were spoiled with Harden carrying the franchise to the offs every year

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Referees didn't give any calls to Jalen Green, easily would've gotten 20 points.

He got hit on the face when Jalen was trying to Dunk on Muscala. I wish Jalen would have dunked on him. Just to send a message to everyone in the league.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It only sounds depressing until you realize the fact that when Tate initiated the offense last year they converted on 77%+ of those possessions ....

hakeem94, xtruroyaltyx and tycoonchip like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

no one is gonna convince me that Tate being the main playmaker for a team is a good thing

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Idk man, he looks like a two motion shooter with that hitch in his shot. Im not very sold on his jumper.

hakeem94, Tuckankhamun and ashleyem like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Very much like Kobe-lite imo. Can score and nothing else, flashy, gym rat, athletic, skinny, cocky and has a ton of energy on the court.

We have a blank canvas in an ultra quick 6’5 (in shoes, like Kobe at same age) kid with a killer first step and a passable 3pt shot. Willing to work hard. 19 years old. That’s an incredible asset.

I really like the way he’s responded to the fact that the NBA is much harder than he expected. It seems like he’s put his head down and gotten to work on his game. I remain extremely optimistic about this season and his future.

Drift Monkey, DreamShook, HP3 and 6 others like this.
  16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

If we're using the logic of counting blocks that weren't registered.

Green was fouled on 3 drives against OKC and should've shot free throws each time.... Fouled on one drive early by Favors no call.... Fouled on a dunk attempt where he was hit in the face by Muscala.... Fouled in what should've been an AND1 layup in what was called a charge that should've been a blocking foul as Williams literally ran out and collided with Green and wasn't close to set on a bad charge call.

Drift Monkey and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Until the young guards come along or the Rockets get a real PG, it simply is what it is. Warriors won a ring with Draymond being the second best playmaker on their team. Tate being an extremely good playmaker is definitely a positive.

Drift Monkey, Mathloom and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Draymond and Tate aren’t in the same stratosphere when it comes to playmaking

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Great thread breh.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Was he the main playmaker? Porter had 10 assists

Sorry, I may be catching your comment on the tail end of another conversation