1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If Armoni and KJ played with Jalen, he easily can get 8 assists.

Tate and Porter looked poor on shooting 3 pointers. Tate, Porter were passing up on open 3s by Jalen passes.

That made me so angry, wide open 3s and looking like Ben Simmons out there.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very well said. The reactions of some around here to Green's play at the very beginning of the season, or to any other rookie player's performance on any team this early, borders on the absurd.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

This FO worries me more and more.

Nook likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

You could say same with Porter if playing with Armoni or KJ.

Which was actually proven when they were all Vipers.

Porter and Wood PnR would also have been nigh unstoppable last night if used more than a handful of times.

eliefor3 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

What caliber of player do they have in mind? 31 ppg Bradley Beal level? A Lillard tier player? A top 5 player?

Or are they thinking a version of Zach Lavine that leads the league in scoring?

Deckard, Nook and D-rock like this.
  6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thank goodness we didnt give up on Mo after one game huh? :rolleyes:

Rudyc281, D-rock and i3artow i3aller like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude KPJ probably at this point is a better ball handler and playmaker than Green due to two seasons in the NBA but last game wasn't it. He had 9 turnovers. Green showed better ball security and playmaking...for one game though.

Rudyc281 and napalm06 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Tate and Nwaba were passing up 3 pointers, KPJ was taking them and he is a decent 3 pt shooter that will probably get better. All we heard was how much Tate, Nwaba, and KMJ were working so hard on their shooting this off-season. KMJ is the only one who is willing to shoot them with confidence and should be getting playing time as a result. Silas should be all over Tate and Nwaba to take the shot when presented. If they continue like the first game then their minutes should be reduced.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure at one point the Bucks' FO had similar lofty expectations for Jabari Parker too. You don't draft a kid that high without being convinced they are going to be great....problem is, they often aren't.

Nook and NewAge like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

True but I doubt fans gave up on Parker after a regular season game.

Besides shooting and defense, Green showed promise in game one with ball security and playmaking. Also his 3 paint buckets showed high level of skill and athleticism. He had the tear drop, the difficult reverse lay up and the dribble move that absolutely shook his defender to the point of falling.

#251 fchowd0311, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    rockets1995 and NewAge like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah. If the problem people are pointing to with Green is defense and shooting, I’m not terribly concerned because virtually ALL rookies will struggle with those things.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Green had 7 turnovers in recent preseason game.

ONE game.

Just breath, and air out your ass.

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Look, those young men are in a growing phase and it will take some time. Teams know to put pressure on KPJ and Green because they are young and can't handle the NBA pressure at this point. I just don't like Tate's and Nwaba's games. They can't shoot to save their lives which makes them a liability on offense. Which means their man is able to help on Jalen or KPJ drives. Both of them had a whole summer to improve their 3 point shot and nothing!

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Damn. We're already at this point after just one game lol. Green might as well retire at the ripe old age of 19.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I think it depends on whether he develops at all as a playmaker. If he develops into a good playmaker then he has the potential at his peak to be a top 5 type player. How likely is that? It requires things to align right for him, but it really isn't that unheard of.

If he doesn't develop as a playmaker, then he is far more limited and is likely at best in the Beal or maybe Lillard caliber player, but that is also assuming everything goes right.

If you take the upside and the downside and smash them together, you probably get someone similar in impact to Lavine..... but that isn't really the realistic "upside".

Green has a fluidity and first step that Zach lacked coming into the league. Green has a natural ability to not only get around players but find space to score. That, coupled with his dexterity makes him a better high end prospect than Lavine IMO. Now, LaVine is stronger, a little bigger and has worked very hard on his game and is quite good at this point, but not a real franchise player. Also, Lavine had terrible tunnel vision coming into the league.... while I am not convinced that Green will turn into an elite playmaker, he does have more aptitude that Lavine for that part of his game.

I don't think that Green will ever be in the category as Jordan, James, Harden or Bryant because he doesn't have the wingspan or physical body that they have. I never say never, but I don't see it happening.... while Green has good scoring instincts like them, he lacks their size or length.

I think people expecting a Hall of Famer from Green are not being fair, and likely will be left unsatisfying, but there is a 15-20% chance that he does become a genuine franchise player.... because his aptitude and skill set is very rare, and the reality is the physicality of the game doesn't mean as much.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

And the Buffalo Braves soon ceased to exist entirely as a franchise. Is that what you want, OP?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Green is going to become a good shooter.... he overall shot solid in the G-League but was inconsistent.

I am not at all concerned with Green shooting... I am concerned about his defense, which is limited by his body and his ability to be a playmaker for his teammates. Green isn't always getting the ball where he wants it to his teammates, but he is seeing the floor better than I expected and that is promising.

I do think the hype about his raw skills and ability was over hyped. The nimble foot speed, the hand dexterity and shot all are elite potentially.... however his body isn't elite.... it doesn't compare to someone like an Anthony Edwards. Green has narrow shoulders, a mediocre wingspan, isn't an ideal height and isn't likely to ever be as strong as someone like Harden or Kobe or LeBron. So that is something that has to be considered.... now that isn't a death sentence, Steph Curry has a terrible body and is a terrible defender, but still an all time elite player...... just not on par with Jordan or James because of their ability to defend.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

The reality is that they are unproven, we don't really know.....

Wood and Tate are guys Morey wanted, but supposedly Stone did as well.

KJ was a good get but again, that was someone targeted when Morey was still here....

They did manage to move Harden and avoided into the pitfall of not rebuilding... and Stone deserves some credit for that.

The Oladipo decision to offer him a big contract scares the hell out of me.......

I don't think Silas is a good head coach, but I know they want to give him a chance... but I have to think there are better teachers with a system out there.

Who knows man.... maybe Green turns into a special player and Sengun an all star and we are terrible this year and get a top 3-4 pick and add an elite big and move Wood for value........... or maybe it all falls apart.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

This is true.

Jabari Parker was as good, or a better prospect than Jalen Green and Parker has been a bust.

It does happen, and in the case of Parker, the entire league had him at worst as the third best prospect in the draft.

There are no guarantees.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.